Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:34 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Last year sold my Cal25 and I miss sailing so much - don't miss the slip fee. My wife and I really enjoy our tandem Hobie Kona and we're thinking about the Island Tandem...but I've also been thinking about finding a used SeaPearl. A couple of questions, I've got a Honda Ridge line with a bed extender for the Kona. Do you think the Island Tandem would work in the back with the extender or would I need a trailer? How does the Tandem handle a 2-3 foot chop? What wind conditions are too much? I live in Tallahassee any local sailing groups for the Tandem. Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:36 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hey HobiKona, I recently purchased a TI which I trailer behind my Ridgeline. I can handle getting in and out of the water very easily alone. I have 2 other Kayaks, Wilderness Tarpon 16s. It is a lot easier Trailering and launching the TI than putting those Tarpons on the roof. I also have Racks on the bed. I vote Trailer.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I was reluctant to get a trailer for my TI but glad I did. It is so easy to launch and load via a trailer. I vote trailer.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks guys for the information. I've seen some fairly good prices on used SeaPearls on Sailing Texas, so I'm still not sure if I'll go with the SP or the TI...but the TI really is growing on me and my wife might be more comfortable on the TI. Any idea where I could rent one in Florida?

Thanks H.J.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:29 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

You are going to love your new TI, it's so versatile and fun. As for cartop vs. trailer, check this post:

viewtopic.php?f=73&t=35829&start=15

It cost very little to make my trailer and I really love it.

It's great to be able to leave the amas attached and just pull up to the ramp and launch it.

iHop

Dune TI - 6/4/2011
Camas, WA

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:41 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Sea Pearl vs TI???

They are very different boats. I have seen plenty of Sea Pearls in Watertribe events. They are relatively heavy fiberglass boats that can hold a lot. First you need do determine what you are going to use the boat for.

1) If you are going to sail by your self 90% of the time then a Hobie far outweighs the Sea Pearl. It is quick to launch, especially off a trailer. Fast to sail. And, the Mirage Drive will pull you out of any sticky situation;

2) The only reason I would consider a Sea Pearl is if you either carry more than 2 or you like to boat camp on board. I have set up my TI so if I need to, I can hang my hammock and sleep on board. I have slept on the trampoline on long trips when I had no other option...

http://dogslifeadventures.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:26 am 
Site Rank - Captain

i am doing the a1 rather than the t1 - but if you like water and an excellant product - it is hard to beat hobie.
:)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Fellas...thanks again for the info. The point about the TI being the best solo boat may be the deciding factor. My son recently got married and he'd rather hang out with his new wife than sail with his dad...imagine that.

Also, I saw some of the video's posted on the site with the guys sailing the TI with a broken rudder and it was a riot.

Thanks - if anyone is in the north florida area, I'd really like to check out your boat.

HJ

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:03 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

HJ, I now own both an AI and a Sea Pearl, so I can compare those two boats. The AI is a 2010 and Pearl is a 1990. I had waited a long time and went through several other used sailboats before finding an acceptably priced Pearl.

The boats actually sail pretty similarly. Neither sails well much closer than 70 degrees off the wind. Both sail well on beam and broad reaches. The Pearl sails better on a run. The AI may be a bit faster, but once you are going over 6 knots, it's a pretty wet and uncomfortable ride.

Personally, I prefer sailing the Pearl. I also like camping on the Pearl. I have contemplated selling the AI, but, anytime I think about throwing away a big percentage of my investment in the boat, I start thinking about how nice it is to have a car topper that takes up little space in the garage and can also serve well in kayak mode. - no need for an engine - no need for registration, etc. A big attraction for me, due to an old neck injury making swinging a kayak paddle for long periods painful, was the peddle drive.

I like the feeling of a stout boat around me when gliding through the water, and I like being able to get up and move around the boat. There's a certain feeling you get from being protected by a boat on the water that you don't get so much when sitting with you butt below water level and in a puddle. Kayaks are more with the water than on the water. It's a different feeling and satisfying in it's own right.

I'm not trying to run down the Hobie, and I'm not averse to kayaking. I am a long time sea kayaker, white water kayaker and surf kayaker, and, despite some physical limitations, still do all of the above. I like both boats, but for very different reasons. Maybe you could find a used AI and a used SP and have the best of both worlds. I say AI, because you probably wouldn't want two trailerable boats.

You've got a lot of nice areas to explore around Tallahassee and I think you would enjoy either or both boats.

Here's a little clip of a recent sail on the SP
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BGSL4rsoRE

Ted

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:43 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ted. I watched all your video clips - thanks for sharing those. I was pretty impressed by that being your first solo on the SP, also sailing in about a foot and a half. I've got to find a boat that I'll feel very comfortable single handing. My wife is not into sailing, she likes to Kayak south of Tallahassee around St. Marks, Wacissa River, Aucilla River, but she was never fond of going out on my CAL 25 because she was not confident handling the boat. We got caught out a couple of times in a fairly good blow and that pretty much ended any desire she had to sail. I think she'd do OK with the TI and maybe, just maybe the SP on a nice day.

I've never seen a SP in the flesh, did you have the lea boards down when you were in 1.5 feet. Are they hinged so that they'll come up if you drag bottom?

I've noticed the prices starting to come down somewhat on the SP. I recently saw a decent looking boat on Sailing Texas for about 8K.

If you've got any tips about what to look for and avoid on a used SP, I'really appreciate the advice.

Thanks - Howard

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:46 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Howard, since your wife already likes kayaking, Islands sound like a shoe-in. I suspect that she wouldn't like an SP. They are pretty tender and I know some experienced SP sailors who have capsized and inverted their boats.

Most of the used boats I've seen over the years were in the price range that you mentioned, which I couldn't see paying for what were often 25 year old boats. I guess I got lucky, having paid less than the price of a new AI. It was a solid boat, and it didn't take too much effort getting it looking nice again.

They are pretty sturdy boats - not a lot to go wrong. The lee boards are hinged and can even swing out from the hull, which prevents excessive stress on the hinges. The are pulled up by lines that feed through cam cleats. I approached that shallow cut, at very close to a run, so both boards were up. I'm not sure if the rudder cleared or grounded for short while - it's pretty heavy and would have dropped back down as soon as I got to deeper water.

I think that if the boards and hinges look to be solid and the rudder attachments look strong, there's not much else to worry about on the boats. The sail plan is about as simple as it gets. The masts are free standing and furl like an Island sail but by hand, instead of a line. I guess you would want to make sure the ballast tanks don't leak, but not sure how you would do that without putting a boat on the water - and of course you would want to check the sails out.

Good luck on your boat search.

Ted

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:01 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ted. Thanks again for the information. The quandary continues - it's almost like every boat is a compromise or something- seems like I've heard that one before.

Thanks Howard

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

HobieKona wrote:
Thanks - if anyone is in the north florida area, I'd really like to check out your boat.
HJ

HobieKona,

I live about a mile south of Jacksonville. Give me a call - I'd be happy to take you out sailing in my TI. 904-955-3932

2008 AI

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Jerry. You have a deal. Can't do it this weekend (will actually be in St. Augustine) but any weekend after that my wife and I will be there and will greatly appreciate it. I'm prepared to buy a boat if that's the right boat for us. So, just let me know what weekend is good for you and we'll be there.

Howard J 850/459-3992
[email protected]

Thanks Jerry!!