Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Concerning cam-buckles
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I thought about using cam buckles but have had problems with them in the past (not on tramps, but other usages). The cam buckle uses a narrow pin that the cam hinges on. I have gone through numerous cam buckles which had the pin break and then the strap simply drops away. I also have had the cams wear quickly through the straps.
You could use metal strap adjusters alone, but then you would have to thread the tramp strap through the adjuster every time you attach the tramp. The metal side-release buckles seemed to be the best compromise...quick attachment-release and the pins in the buckle don't experience the constant tension that cam buckles have. The metal buckle is also stronger than the plastic equivalent.

Post subject: Re: Half wide tramp?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

TIDALWAVE wrote:
I wish that Hobie would sell a half-wide tramp for owners who are worried about the tramps catching the wind but still want tramps.

I got a set of these and they are a reasonable compromise: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Hobie-Mirage ... 500wt_1183

The buckles are rubbish. I replaced them with a set of luggage straps with aluminium cam buckles and the result is quite strong.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

They look like a pretty good setup Chris. I find with the Hobie tramps that I keep the left one on only. Then if I see something interesting in the water I can see it on the right side. Also my camera mount doesn't pivot with the tramp on.

When you say 'quite strong' do you mean 'sit on' strong ?

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Leipo
One of the big advantages of the nylon tramp buckles is that you can tighten them quickly as needed (while on land).
Lacing a tramp, as you described, would need constant adjustment over time (let alone the chafe on the Akas).
As an ex climber, who knows ropes (and webbing) as if my life depended on it (which it did), if I were to replace the buckle system with lacing, I'd strongly recommend 'Static Line'; rope with the least amount of stretch. The material used to make up the Tramps will stretch eventually as weight is placed on it.
Considering that, I think you can see my reasons for this logic. If anything, I would have the webbing replaced with thicker material and bombproof metal buckles to allow the tension on the akas to be fine tuned as needed.

Be well
Trinomite

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 5:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Slaughter wrote:
When you say 'quite strong' do you mean 'sit on' strong ?

Yeah, you can sit on them, no problem. Of course, adding four luggage straps for each tramp adds to the price a bit. I must admit, I'm getting tempted by Nohuhu's benches. (Another day, another accessory :roll: )

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Chris
Yah, I've been eyeballing his benches. They make a lot of sense without the stretch that any material will suffer due to use and UV exposure. When I bought the Tramps, I checked them over with a Mag Glass to make sure there were no flaws in the stitching on the webbing.
However as time goes by, it's only a given that the seams could open up simply due to stress.
The ability to move the benches may not be that obvious at first, yet in the long run, it could prove to be more durable and versatile than the Tramp solution.
I've also been thinking of a combination of the 2 ideas, using Carbon fiber instead of wood.
Why, cause I have nothing better to do with my time... :lol:
Take Care
Fred

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:54 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hi Chris
I tried a mates tramp and didn't care for it, then saw Nohuhu's benches and made one up. Have been using it on the starboard side when I fish, I mounted a Ram ball and can see the rod go off on a strike I love it. The PVC bottom mounts chew up the poor paintwork on the outriggers though. I have strapped a milk crate to carry an anchor and other gear at times and the bench makes a great table for lunch.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

G'Day Dave,

If I'm not mistaken, NOHUHU seems to have glued a bit of rubber membrane or something similar to the bottom of his PVC fittings. EPDM pond liner perhaps.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Rubber mats glued in place are a must w the PVC. They also cover the countersunk screws that hold the PVC on.

I might suggest you try just putting PVC halves for the rear Akas. You could put foam padding on the front (or even both sides). This gives you the flexibility of setting the benches anywhere along the bars. Otherwise, the front PVC tube must be fixed at an angle that is ideal for the seating position you prefer. (The Aka bars are not square).

If you lash them well on rubber or foam, you'll probably find that PVC is not needed and your bars will be protected.

The benches could then be be swapped onto a TI as well, which has Aka bars spaced a little closer than the AI.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tramps are great and can be very useful, also keeping you dryer but are prone to be picked up from underneath by a very strong blow and will flip you in an instant which happened to me even with my own half size models. If you do go over in a blow please do not forget to hold onto a sheet before righting it or it will blow away from you in an instant...Pirate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Awesome, Pirate. But seeing a boat like that makes me want to lock up my daughter. :!: