Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Botany Bay with the kids
PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 5:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

With the unseasonal warm weather continuing in Sydney, we took our Tandem Island for a longish sail on Botany Bay - putting in at Taren Point and sailing past the port and airport, across to La Perouse and Congwong Bay Beach (about 10km) for lunch. The forecast was for a light noreaster, followed by a stronger norwester to bring us home. The norwester didn't eventuate, so it was a slower trip home than envisaged, so we had about five and a half hours on the water.

Cool thing about the route is it takes us past the airport, so planes were landing over our head - neat (see the video shot on the way back). It was still very hazy from the backburning all around Sydney too, so not as crystal clear as it usually is.

The route also takes us past Captain Cook's landing place and around Bare Island and across Cape Solander/Cape Banks heads, so we get a nice ocean swell as part of the deal.

The light and variable winds in the morning (much lighter than forecast) mean we need to pedal a bit to supplement the sail; but we pick up a better breeze as we get around Port Botany and it serve well for an approach to Congwong Bay beach. By the time we arrive, Bob, the two-and-a-half year old, has fallen asleep (there's something about little kids and sailing that puts them to sleep) and he actually sleeps through lunch and a swim, laying on the beach, and then stays sleeping on the tramp most of the way back to Taren Point, stuffed into a little plastic sleeping bag to keep him warm.

The light winds make for a bit of a long trip back with a lot of searching for wind - the TI, with no boom, is tricky to run downwind with, but I found a point of sailing that got us heading in the right direction.

Loving this boat - its giving us a great opportunity to explore our waterways and get to llaces we'd not think of going. Got a few more ideas around Botany Bay to explore in an upcoming weekend!

smith

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 12:50 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Awesome sail, looks like the kids had fun.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 6:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

What a perfect use of these marvelous vessels.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 5:09 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Great stuff smith, I went for a sail there the other week (launching at the Foreshore Road, Botany boat ramp, although it is quite a narrow set area you are supposed to stay in with shipping lane on one side and airport boundary on the other.

Your photos aren't loading for me unfortunately, but I could see your youtube video.

Join up in the NSW Hobie island facebook group too (link here).

Where are you based? I'm in Inner West syd.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 5:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Dammit - I don't have facebook unfortunately (and don't want to go down that rabbit hole - the closest I come is Google+) - do you have any other web presence?

We are based in southern Sydney - St George area, so Georges River and Botany Bay are our backyard. We holiday in Jervis Bay each year. Our next exploration plans are Port Hacking and in the cooler months may toddle up north to Wallis Lake.

smith

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 7:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Can see all your pics now Smith - gee, you covered some ground there on a low-wind day!

There is another bloke on the FB group who lives around your way too that just bought a TI. I haven't set up a website yet but it is on the to do list. I will keep you in the loop of any events we organise :)