Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Easy to learn?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:00 am 
Hey. Thinking about getting a tandem.

Is it difficult to learn how to sail one of these on my own? I took a sailing class years ago but haven't been able to keep up with it.

Do I need a sailing background to pick this up?

Also, once I learn, I'd like to get my family out on a lake nearby. I've seen videos with extra passengers on (trampoline). Is this safe? I have an 11 YO and 9 YO, so I'd love to get them on with my wife.

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Easy to learn?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It's the easiest thing in the world to sail! All you have to remember is that you can't sail directly into the wind :D . If you get stuck in irons on a tack you have the mirage drives as a nice bail out. Sailing background or classes are not necessary. A couple of quick youtube videos to refresh your memory and you are out on the water.

I have a 12, 9, and 2 year old and I sail with all of them onboard using the trampolines.

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There was a link I recently posted to a pretty comprehensive instruction on sailing an Island.
Have a look here http://www.hobiecat.com.au/forums/viewt ... 71&t=51128

I would suggest you start out sailing with the sail partially furled (rolled up around the mast) so that nothing happens too quickly for you.Once you have learned the basics (Scott Gee wrote a superb manual which is referenced in the quote above), you can consider taking passengers, remembering that you, as skipper, are responsible for their safety. Sure everyone can muck around, but only in shallow water, and once you enter deeper water, PFDs become compulsory, especally for your yougsters, and safety first becomes first!.

But many others have learned to sail their Islands without outside help. amd I am sure you will be fine.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've taken a bunch of beginners out recently on their own boat. They were the captain of their boat. Under those circumstances, in addition to sailing, there are are numerous small things to do. For example, before you can sail, you need to get the boat ready for sailing--get it on/off your trailer, step the mast, rig the lines, attach the main sheet to the clew, tie your main sheet to the furling line, put your Vantage seat in properly & attach its tether (or attach your Hobie seat if an older model). If you have a Vantage CT seat, and you have installed it properly, now you need to get it adjusted to your liking--I think there are at least 3 major adjustments. Be sure all your hatches are closed and sealed properly. Put in your Mirage Drive when in 2' of water. Adjust your drive for your leg length. Drop and strongly cleat your rudder. I'm sure there are more things I haven't thought of, but once all these preliminaries are done, you can begin to sail the boat as Tony says.

Yes, sailing an AI/TI is relatively easy compared to just about any other sail boat. Still, if you have never sailed any boat, there are many aspects to sailing which are not intuitive to the beginner. Expect to be a bit frustrated, especially if you have a few experienced friends along, who leave you in the dust, so to speak. It takes time to become a decent sailor, but you can definitely enjoy that time learning. Finally, I would get a hand-held GPS which shows your speed for every little tweak you make to your sail or dagger/center board. It is a great cheerleader.

Good luck!

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:24 am 
Thanks. I appreciate it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Not much I can add to what's already been contributed other than I bought my TI last August, had never been sailing in my life and, after reading and studying material on this forum and from Hobie, I was sailing the next day.

Enjoy!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:55 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Totch wrote:
Not much I can add to what's already been contributed other than I bought my TI last August, had never been sailing in my life and, after reading and studying material on this forum and from Hobie, I was sailing the next day.

Enjoy!

I'll second that.

My wife and I had never sailed before. We tried a TI during an Austin Kayak demo day last fall (5 minutes instruction), bought a 2014 TI in December, and have already been out a dozen times since. Got up to almost 9 mph in winds of 10-15 mph on the lake yesterday. We furled the sail a couple of times when it got choppy! Covered 13 miles in 3 hours.

It's so much fun!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:52 am 
Thanks.

I am now concerned about a couple issues noted in the forum. As a newbie, these have me concerned. Safety/quality issues that should cause me to stay away?

Chekika's thread about a broken shear pin causing his AI to capsize - viewtopic.php?f=70&t=54465

Patr1's thread about AKA disconnecting - viewtopic.php?f=75&t=54536

SCC's thread about rudder control line issues - viewtopic.php?f=75&t=54490

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

SailingAway wrote:
Thanks.

I am now concerned about a couple issues noted in the forum. As a newbie, these have me concerned. Safety/quality issues that should cause me to stay away?

Chekika's thread about a broken shear pin causing his AI to capsize - viewtopic.php?f=70&t=54465

Patr1's thread about AKA disconnecting - viewtopic.php?f=75&t=54536

SCC's thread about rudder control line issues - viewtopic.php?f=75&t=54490

You are doing the right thing investigating potential issues, but I will attempt to ease your mind.
1. Unless you are in very strong waves, or you run into something, you are unlikely to bust a shear pin. However, if you want peace of mind, simply run diagonal lines from mast area to ama handles. You can attach/remove these back at the beach.
2. Before sailing, grab each aka and try and pull it out of the crossbar. If it comes out, it wasn't in properly. If you can,t get it to stay in, see your dealer.
3. If your rudder responds to movement of the tiller without feeling like it is jamming, you don't have any problems.

Enjoy!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I wouldn't worry about any quality/safety issues. Hobie is known for their quality construction and if anything is amiss then they will remedy it quickly. They've been making these boats for quite a few years now and have ironed out any real issues. As for safety, personally, I don't think I've been on a safer boat. So much so that I'm perfectly fine taking my 2 year old out with me. Capsizes can and do happen (rarely), but I have yet to hear of anyone being seriously injured or killed on an AI/TI.

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

SailingAway:
Keep in mind the Hobie Tandem Island is likely the most popular small sailboat on the market today. As a family sail boat there is nothing on the market of even anyone's drawing boards that holds a candle to the Adventure type of boats (both AI and TI) that Hobie invented. The patented Mirage drive system that comes with every Hobie kayak is unequaled by anything out there and brings so much versatility to all of their craft's (it boggles even my mind).
This is a global forum with some ridiculous number of followers (I'm sure 100,000 plus members I've heard) where mostly the one's who post are having problems, but the vast majority are too busy and having too much fun to post on the forum.
If you do a youtube search on Tandem Island (50k hits), or Hobie (216,000 hits), you will see one heck of a lot of people having fun and the time of their lives with their boats, THE HOBIE WAY of life, (it truly changed our perspective on life itself and nature).

This video in particular posted from Australia in early 2011 is what convinced me personally just how awesome the Hobie Tandem Island truly is. When my kids were small (we have 6 kids) we would Canoe with the family all over northern Minnesota, Wisconsin and southern Canada (I'm canadian). So I relate to this video like you can't imagine, thinking boy if I had one of these babies back then how much fun we could have had. Now I get to do it with the grandkids when they come visit us in Florida, and love every minute. Make sure you get the trampoline option.....there's room for 6 (lol)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pb4orK9MLXE

Jump in the water is fine....
Bob

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I love this video! It's the one that sold my wife.

This one sold me on the durability:

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas