Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:24 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I've had my TI for several months now and am having fun on my return to sailing (first time in 25 years!)

I almost had a catastrophe that you can avoid if you are smarter than me.

I have tramps for my TI that usually carry kids. My 4-year-old was complaining "The water is spanking me!" I noticed that they were sagging a bit, so I pulled each strap as tight as I could get it (bad idea!)

The next day, I was sailing alone on Lake Huron (Michigan) and, for the first time, got into enough wind to need to get my weight out onto the ama. As I climbed from the rear seat my weight went onto the inward rear corner of the tramp. "Snap", the first plastic clasp broke, the next two followed instantly, and I found my rear end dragging in the water. Luckily, I had an elbow over the aka and didn't fall overboard completly. Had I done that, I would have been screwed!!

I admit I'm probably at the high-end of the TI-owner-weight distribution (215 lbs), so most of you won't have this problem!

I should have remembered my 1st-year engineering calculations. The tighter you pull the straps, the more axial load the clasps take take to support a given vertical load on the tramp. I'll leave them loose from now on!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

John Smallberries wrote:
I admit I'm probably at the high-end of the TI-owner-weight distribution (215 lbs),

I know that the trampolines on the AI's are only rated to carry 200 lbs. So whether you keep the straps looser, or tighter, I'd be aware of that limitation.

Second, I know that "whosyerbob" on this forum has had the same problem. I'd search for some of his posts, because I think he upgraded the buckles.

I also think that someone posted that the buckles were designed to be the weak point in the system (much like the rudder pin is designed to be the weak point in that system) so that you don't do any damage to the boat if the stresses become too much to handle.

Just some food for thought to add to what you already said.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:43 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

This is a concern I've had as well. I just joined this board but have been reading posts for about a week. I haven't purchased my AI yet but will probably make the purchase by October.

I'm a big guy (6'5"/255#) and weight limitations is something that has been on my mind since I decided to buy the AI. I was even wondering if I should get the TI and run it solo?

Anyway, I do plan to install tramps and a splash skirt to the font as our Hawaiian waters are almost always rougher than most seas on the east/west coasts of the US. I was already thinking of ways I could beef up a trampoline set or have a custom heavy duty set made. I thought that adding heavy web straps to a tramp set would do the job and will look into it when I have the products on my hands.

This raises another issue. Would the "super-tramps" put too much stress on the iakas if/when I climb my large frame out onto them? Would the iakas buckle under the load?

I've seen somewhere that some AI owners actually upgrade the AI iakas to TI iakas to improve seaworthiness. What are the differences between the AI and TI iakas? From looking at the product specifications the length appears to be the same. Are the TI iakas stronger/heavier?

Thanks in advance and Aloha! :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 2:51 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Don't trust the buckles on your tramps or the 200 lbs rating. The fabric may take 200 lbs but not those plastic buckles.
3 of the 5 buckles on my starboard tramp failed this week with only 139 lbs and the tramps are only 9 months old.
I now tie the tramps with 550 cord.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The tramps are supposed to be adjusted as tight as you can get them so that they catch less wind and don't sag into the water. Buckles breaking is a concern. :?

Five_Oh wrote:
I've seen somewhere that some AI owners actually upgrade the AI iakas to TI iakas to improve seaworthiness. What are the differences between the AI and TI iakas? From looking at the product specifications the length appears to be the same. Are the TI iakas stronger/heavier?

The aka are similar but the ama are very different. The upgrade you mention is so that the much longer TI ama can be fitted to the AI. viewtopic.php?f=69&t=33992&p=140372

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I broke two at once last year just climbing aboard on a VERY hot day.
I bought large velcro cable tie/wrap things at Lowes and threaded them thru. Seem to be working great.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 1:20 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Yikes! I'm only 180 but I have typically launched from a dock by jumping on the tramps with a fair amount of force. I will cease that and only deploy the port tramp once I'm aboard. I, too, like my tramps as tight as possible and find vice grips work well.

iHop

Dune TI - 6/4/2011
Camas, WA

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi,
Getting my TI this coming weekend. If a buckle breaks on the Tramps, can the buckles be replaced? I'd hate to have an expensive tramp go unusable just because one, two or three of the buckles have broken. Getting Velcro bands to replace sounds good, but I'd like to follow the rules, so that it doesn't damage the akas by putting too much stress on them. Any opinions?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ahem, I weigh 325 at the moment, so an AI was out of the question, as is using the rear seat on my TI until those magic pedals rip the weight off (90 minutes pedalling into a strong tide today - love it).

Consequently I avoided getting tramps as the temptation wold be too geat. I plan to fit Hakas though, but right now, I'm having too much fun (four outings this week! Wahoo!!!)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:01 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

The buckles are stitched in a loop at one end to the 1" nylon straps. The straps webbing is hell strong and one section of that strap would hold Tony up (no offense Tony) just the plastic buckles are weak.

You could always fit stainless D rings (two D rings together on each strap) then you do the thread through both and back through the top one. This will hold almost as much as the strap breaking strain and that is heaps.

Post subject: New tramp buckles...
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 7:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Last year this forum covered this topic about going to stronger buckles.
The tramp straps/buckles are sewn into the fabric. You have to cut the straps off to install new buckles.
After buying new aluminum buckles...I chickened out on ripping out and replacing the buckles. I bought 'emergency' nylon straps with buckles. I carry a few on the TI. If the OEM buckles break, I can thread the new straps through the loops for a temporary fix.
I have only broken one buckle...but if more break, I am going to have to spend the time removing the plastic ones and sewing in the metal ones.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks folks,
I'll just have to wait and see if it happens. I'm so excited. Getting a papaya colour. Not that there is anything wrong with the other ones, but the dealer had this one in stock. Just waiting for the trailer to come in. Not doing car-top.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:35 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hello All, You can buy replacement buckles from Hobie and unlace the rod that holds them at one side and just replace the broken ones. I carry 2 or three in the front 8” hatch all the time. My TI is over 1 year old and I carry a lot of different passengers with me on different days. This Video show my friends Steve and Christina sailing with me in the back seat. I weigh in at 155# Steve about 220# and Christina about 150#. Steve has broken snaps on the tramps before and so have I. I use the tramps when we want to be wet but use HAKAs when the winds is up so have a dryer ride. Both have their advantages and short comings. It depends on what you want the ride to be. This video shows us playing in 15 to 25 knot winds. We logged 14 miles that day and a max speed of 12 MPH on the GPS Good time was had by all.
http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/4847/l6r.mp4

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:20 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Replacement web/buckle assembly are part # 79527201 - available from any Hobie Kayak Dealer. call toll free 1800Hobie49
or: http://www.hobiecat.com/support/dealers/search/