Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Remember also that whilst the drive is locked, the fins have flex, so they will never perform as well as a fixed dagger with maximum resistance.

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Right, but in the Revo, Outback and PA, it's all you got.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Chris, the TI has more sail and hull speed, and it crosses the wind better. Compared to the AI, my impression is that the TI requires less pedaling and also responds to it less (from the back).

Tom's double dagger setup makes sense for sailing close to the wind, but light pedaling will still work better and point you higher. The rest of the time, it's my understanding that decreasing the dagger profile is called for. So locking them straight down after 60° may do little but increase drag.

Hiking out on a close reach (where you can't pedal anyway) it makes even more sense to lock the fins down. The rest of the time, tight against the hull, (or removed as Chris said) is preferred.

For those and other reasons, I frequently rake or remove my dagger for speed/ trim. Rather than focusing on the mirage drive for this.

Also, hiking out on the tramps or hakas balances the hull and rudder, which gives the AI/TI some measure of extra power and reduced drag in big wind. Yes, tacking/jibing gets more complicated from out there. There are always trade offs.

It would be interesting to see if Tom can measure an improvement (pointing higher) with the drive locked down. We have been debating that here for some time.

Regardless, his Mirage drive locking contraption works. and is cool.

I hope this is all correct and coherent, cuz it's late at night and I'm doing this with 2 thumbs on an iPhone. ,-)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:41 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

NOHUHU wrote:
I hope this is all correct and coherent, cuz it's late at night, just got back from the nightclub, and I'm doing this with 2 thumbs on an iPhone. ,-)

Yuppy :roll:

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I like how Tom's lock makes it easy to reach the MD. The only negative might be scratching the cranks.
I used to lock the drive using an eyebolt with the thread covered in heatshrink (viewtopic.php?f=32&t=10831&p=57071)
That was a long time ago (pre Islands). These days I only sail with the MD in if the winds are light. As someone once said on these forums removing the drive is like letting the handbrake off!
I came to hate a number of issues when sailing in good winds with the MD in:
-it was slower. The MD in either position adds drag.
-you could feel the fins fluttering at speed. I felt this might contribute to wear on the drive and unecessary extra force on the drivewell ledge.
-they would catch weed
-they were more prone to damage from hitting things.
-the cockpit felt cramped
So if I'm not pedaling then the drive is removed (but kept handy and leashed).
Each to their own of course! The lock is a much better option than resting both feet on the pedals (which can cause MD damage) and is the best option on the non daggerboard kayaks for sailing into the wind... other than adding a DB through the MD plug! :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I tapered and smoothed the fitting so it wouldn't scratch the cranks. Everything slips on nicely.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:36 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

@Tom Kirkman

I really like your gadget and probably will make one for myself!
But I need to solve another problem.
Where will I have it when not on the mirage drive?
There are just too many gadgets, water bottles, drive plug, daggerboard etc etc etc, that needs to be within reach, tethered and out of way at the same time.

:roll:

br thomas

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I know what you mean. The second model I made is flat and can be stuck just about anywhere, including the mesh pocket, but I didn't like the way it went onto the pedal shafts - you have to be careful to keep it flat. The first design, shown in the video, just almost drops in place with no real care required.

I've thought about a paddle holder type clip installed on one of the Akas or something. I may end up just sticking it on one of the scupper holes, provided it doesn't protrude below the hull bottom. I haven't gotten to that point yet. But I will.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hats off to stringy, I wasn't sure if he or Kbob first posted the locking pin idea here. I looked but could not find it.

Slaughter, thanks for pointing out that I struck out at the clubs last night. :cry: Again.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Not me :) I think this one was Stringy's

Mine was a strap on one pedal shaft, just long enough to go behind the other shaft and be hooked by the Mirage bungee hook.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:36 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Could a two sided velcro strap just be wrapped all the way around both shafts to hold them together?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Surely.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:35 am 
Site Rank - Captain

stringy wrote:
I came to hate a number of issues when sailing in good winds with the MD in:
-it was slower. The MD in either position adds drag.
-you could feel the fins fluttering at speed. I felt this might contribute to wear on the drive and unecessary extra force on the drivewell ledge.
-they would catch weed
-they were more prone to damage from hitting things.
-the cockpit felt cramped
So if I'm not pedaling then the drive is removed (but kept handy and leashed).

Sorry, not to hijack the thread, but a quick question about removing the MD's to increase performance in a good wind. Is there any additional benefit (speed or otherwise) by adding the drive well blanks when the MD's are not in?

President - Gulf Coast Kayak Fishing Association

Like us on Facebook!

Check out my PA12 mods HERE

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

A velcro strap can indeed be used, but it won't hold the pedal arms as straight and parallel as this tool will. If it would, I wouldn't have bothered with this. Yes, I tried it.

It's all a matter of what somebody might want to do. I put this up here in case anyone else might have the same need that I did, not to suggest that everybody had to make one or should make one. And yes, you can certainly scoot forward, line up the arms and stick a pin through the arm adjustment holes. Or, scoot forward and use both hands to wrap a strap of velcro around them. I'm a bit lazy for those type things, however, thus this tool that just drops into place from the operator's seat and removes just as easily.

I can't really speak to an increase of speed by removing the Mirage Drive. I haven't noticed it but then I haven't really bothered to check it against a GPS or anything. I will say that when the Mirage Drive is pulled you greatly reduce noise and splash by installing the well plug. Speedwise, I just can't say. I haven't done any legitimate comparisons. I'm sure somebody else has.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

yaknrugger wrote:
Sorry, not to hijack the thread, but a quick question about removing the MD's to increase performance in a good wind. Is there any additional benefit (speed or otherwise) by adding the drive well blanks when the MD's are not in?

Surely.