Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:30 pm 
Hobie Team Member

Hey guys.
Years ago I owned and loved my AI. Sold it after getting a PA mainly because I had no friends with sails so leaving fishing buddies in the dust was no fun. I like the fellowship of fishing.

I've decided to get back into sailing and with the TI I can simply take my buddy (or occasionally my wife) with me.

I have been reading everything I can from the lessons of you more seasoned TI owners. I've already worked up a rough hakka design and look forward to some serious trolling in the Gulf of Mexico.

One idea I'm pondering:
Running a release clip (similar to an outrigger on a big powerboat) up the mast so I can run a third line from the top of the mast to a point way back in the trolling pattern. Anyone done this? Ideas?

Also, I'm interested in meeting other Island owners in the Pensacola, FL area who want to fish. Give a shout and let's get together.

Ted

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Welcome back Ted.

Rigging anything to the mast isn't really advisable… Well, unless you're putting up a jib! In that case it's really desirable - and still a bad idea. ;-)

By placing your rod holders (Railblaza) out on the Akas, you can easily achieve a 20+ foot separation of your lines. More than enough to troll three lines all day.

If you want to drift-fish the bottom, you can put 4 rod holders. One on each Aka.

Or you could steal an idea from the Uyeda Brothers playbook and put outriggers on your forward Akas. These guys fish tandem style for the Hobie team.

Check um out! : http://uyedabrothers.com

Whichever way you go, try to keep your lines clear of the large TI sail and sheet, on all points of sail.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I used to use my surf rods as outriggers on my regular kayaks(might reimploy on my ai :mrgreen: ) just run a thin rope through all the guides on an 10 or 12ft rod with a carabiner (kind of like you would with a barber hauler) and attach the release to that....your essentially creating a loop of line like a clothes line same as riggers would be.....two 12ft rods and a 2ftish gap between the holders or even more if mounted on the hakas gives you 25ft plus of seperation :mrgreen: lotsa space

If your really looking for that shotgun bait which i think i know why you want one in your spread :mrgreen: then take a look at my roll bars in this thread....now picture a third top rod holder with a T fitting on the top of the back part between the two top holders.....then just run an outrigger like a mentioned above in the holder and ur shotgun ron in one of the holders next to it....grab a cheap 15ft rod and ur almost the same height as the mast but ur not guna have a problem with the main sheet getting in the way.....hope that helps and now im going to go ponder doin it myself :lol:

viewtopic.php?f=69&t=46353

-Jeff