Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:17 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just received my AI. We have a small dock on a bayou off of Choctawhatchee bay. I can get the kayak in the water along the side of the dock and then carfully step into the kayak from the dock. I have not attached the ama's/sail yet. The boat will not be able to go into the water along the dock with the extra equipment. I had gotten the impression that the ama's and sail could be installed in the water. I guess that is true if you are standing in the water outside of the boat.

We have a boat lift that we are not using and may use to help with this issue, just not sure how yet.

If anyone has any suggestions for rigging and launching from a dock I would appreciate any ideas. Thanks. :?:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:18 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

The only way I can envision this would be assembling the AI on the dock perpendicular to the dock and launching it aft end first into the water.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Building perpendicular to the dock seems like a possible method as Dawg suggested.

Can your boat lift be fitted with a canvas loop or belt. If yes, then it seems you could simply loop a loop around each end of the AI, including looping around the amas, and raise & lower it to the water. It seems you might even be able to store it on the lift, but, unless you had some sun protection, that might not be a good idea.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:53 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Brenita wrote:
I just received my AI. We have a small dock on a bayou off of Choctawhatchee bay. I can get the kayak in the water along the side of the dock and then carfully step into the kayak from the dock. I have not attached the ama's/sail yet. The boat will not be able to go into the water along the dock with the extra equipment. I had gotten the impression that the ama's and sail could be installed in the water. I guess that is true if you are standing in the water outside of the boat.

We have a boat lift that we are not using and may use to help with this issue, just not sure how yet.

If anyone has any suggestions for rigging and launching from a dock I would appreciate any ideas. Thanks. :?:

I have a question why can't you put it in the water as one unit? Putting the sail in while the boat is in the water is no problem once you have the ama's on and in the outward position, you just stand up and drop it in the slot. Now the ama's can be assembled while the boat is in the water but it's not easy. I have the TI and what I do is have my wife insert the amas in while i am leaning on the opposite side of the boat to get it to lean so they can go in rather easy. Then just do the opposite for the other one, the first one is the most difficult because you can more easily lean the boat by leaning the other ama that you just attached for installing the second one.

If you have a boat lift I would think it would be rather easy to come up with something. Would need to see a pic of your lift to give you specific ideas to yours.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:25 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Brenita,
This may give you some ideas. I have been making a hoist for my 4WD and garage. Sounds like you could do something similar with your boat davit.
The entire thread detailing my progress can be found here:
http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=73&p=214216#p214216

But here's one photo:

Ian (and his hobie hover island)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:01 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for all of the ideas. Please keep them coming.
I was unable to add a photo to this post. I do not know how to do that yet...looks like the photos have to be on a website to post. (?)

I am leaning towards doing something with the boat lift. I can attach a dock ladder so I could get down closer to the water and then lower the boat to the water and get in, however, there is no cover on the boat lift. I need to investigate the hoist idea some. I have not had a chance to look at that.

For launching off of the dock, I am not sure that I could single handedly do that without flipping it or doing damage. The AI fully setup is very heavy for me. The dock is 2-3 feet off the water. My husband is looking into floating docks ($$).

The next issue would be how to get the AI out of the water and back on land.

I could buy some waders and just get in the mucky water (brackish bayou) and assemble it that way. Then unassemble the same way. My husband thinks this is a crazy idea. I think it might work. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Brenita,

I have posted the method I use to post pictures. Follow this link and scroll down until you come to my post. If you cannot get pictures posted by my method, post something here or send me a PM. The link: http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=47352&start=45

I think most of us would love to have a lift to put our Island in the water, or at least try. Post some pictures so we have a better idea about the situation.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

stick this on the end of your dock

http://www.ez-dock.com/en/ez-dock-produ ... tport.html

Papaya AI2 to replace my well worn V1
TheTwins - His/Hers 2007 Papaya Hobie Adventure Island's (v1.00.01)
.. and a Hobie Outback SUV

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Brenita wrote:
Thanks for all of the ideas. Please keep them coming.
I was unable to add a photo to this post. I do not know how to do that yet...looks like the photos have to be on a website to post. (?)

I am leaning towards doing something with the boat lift. I can attach a dock ladder so I could get down closer to the water and then lower the boat to the water and get in, however, there is no cover on the boat lift. I need to investigate the hoist idea some. I have not had a chance to look at that.

For launching off of the dock, I am not sure that I could single handedly do that without flipping it or doing damage. The AI fully setup is very heavy for me. The dock is 2-3 feet off the water. My husband is looking into floating docks ($$).

The next issue would be how to get the AI out of the water and back on land.

I could buy some waders and just get in the mucky water (brackish bayou) and assemble it that way. Then unassemble the same way. My husband thinks this is a crazy idea. I think it might work. :lol:

Don't discount the waders idea at all. Modern lightweight breathable waders make excellent Island garb, and can extend your sailing season considerably. I have Caddis ones, but Kokotat (sp?) make some excellent waterproof panys too. Being able to walk into waist deep water and stay dry is brilliant, not to mention being able to wear all the spray when you are sailing fst (just add a lightweight rain jacket).

You can get them either with neoprene booties, or hard boots (I recommend the former)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 5:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If it were me I would just leave the AMA's on but folded in. The sail can easily be dropped in while standing on the dock, though I would likely leave that in the boat also if I'm planning to out the next day.
If you want to get the boat out of the water I would make a floating dock out of 2 inch PVC pipe with 3 large floating boat bumpers. You attach one bumper to the front of your floating dock, then the other two to the side rails ( two ten foot PVC pipes). You then slide a short piece of 3 inch PVC pipe over each of the long rails with the boat bumpers tied to the 3 inch PVC. Now when you want the back of the dock to sink you slide the 2 bumpers forward. Once you have the boat on you slide the two outside bumpers back toward the back of the boat. This will float the back of the boat out of the water. Of course if you get in the boat it will go down into the water (not enough flotation), but who cares about that. The floating dock is of course tied to the main dock, and should provide plenty of stability when getting on board and getting ready to go out. When ready to launch you just slide the two outside bumpers forward and the back of the dock sinks so you can back out. Your AI will be pretty safe and secure sitting out of the water. I wouldn't think it would take more than an afternoon to make with about $40 dollars worth of PVC and fittings plus the cost of 3 boat bumpers from Walmart. Just replace the PVC one in a while as it will grow barnacles.
Just a thought
Bob

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:09 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for all of the suggestions. We have decided to change our boat lift to accommodate the AI. It currently has slings. We are removing these and a platform is being built that we will attach the cradles used on trailers for the AI's. We will be able to raise and lower the platform for easy access and launching regardless of the tide level.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great solution! Pictures, please, when finished.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:29 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ok. I will post photos when it is done. Hopefully, this will happen soon!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:49 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I had a similar problem at the two marinas I frequent. Yes, perpendicular is the answer but I recommend to wait until it is afloat before adding the mast. It is far easier that way and won't go tippy on you. Disassemble the same way

Garmin GPS 78
Standard Horizon HX 751
2 12V 700ma batteries in Parallel
Solar charging
Ritchie Compass
14 days of electronics easy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Our platform for the boat lift should arrive tomorrow. I will post photos.