Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:48 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am planning a 3 day trip with my ai. Am looking at 2 man tents to pitch at anchor Amy suggestions ?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:46 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

This thread would be a good place to start reading: SLEEPING ONBOARD

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Don't know how you erect a tent on an AI. Some have erected a simple tarp, some bivvy bags, and a few of us have gone hammocks. I have seen tents erected but don't think I've read a report on how successful it has been. I'm one of the hammock advocates but it comes down to what you're personally comfortable with.

If you're planning to go down the hammock route, here is a thread.

viewtopic.php?f=69&t=40560&p=163884&hilit=penthouse#p163884

.....but here is the most informative thread showing all possible sleeping combinations.

viewtopic.php?f=70&t=13400&hilit=sleeping+on+board

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I don't think I have ever slept in a hammock for any length of time. Not my style.

I believe CaptnChaos (Jim Quinlan) has been successful at mounting a tent on his AI using hakas as the base. I'm not sure of the link. Dogslife talked about it before last spring's WaterTribe Everglades Challenge, but he did not follow thru on it.

In my opinion it would be a simple matter to use hakas (see either NOHUHU's haka thread or my detailed description of building a pair of hakas: http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=7276&start=240) as a base for setting up a small tent.

I do recommend building a pair of hakas to make camping trips easier; however, camping on firm land is always easier than setting up a tent or hammock on your AI/TI. Furthermore, in an area like Florida, camping on your AI/TI may actually be nerve-wracking, even dangerous, because of the habit of crocs & gators to climb out on docks during the night.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:10 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I have put a tent on a AI and used it. The reason why I do not use it in the Watertribe races is time to set up. It is much harder to erect anything floating on the water. Now I just pad the cockpit, lay a mattress down and cover my self with a tarp. I am working on a new concept, a bivy style permanent shelter using the dodger.

I had a hard time trying to get the "right" tent to fit the AI. Wal-Mart sells a 4x6' kids tent for $20. I use it both on land and on the boat. I am 6'2" and sleep on a diagonal. If you have ever slept on a AI tramp, you know you need to sleep diagonal anyway. The tent overhangs into the cockpit a little. This is why I started to glue foam matting to the top of my gunnels. My tent has the opening on the long side and opens into the boat. I can put a tarp over the tent that ties to the opposite ama giving the rest of the boat a nice covered porch. When you sleep, put your head toward the hull not the ama. A good stiff air mattress levels the lumps out. My tramp has some sag now. I slide a paddle under the middle for a little more support. For two people I would get two tents, erect them P/S tramps and put a tarp in-between.

http://dogslifeadventures.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:11 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I thank you all for the feedback I spotted a slide in cab over camper and that will solve the overnight place to stay issue. I just recieved a replacement fin for my mirage drive. I was using the older style drive from my Sport as a backup it worked great . I did build a pair of hakas 2 1*6's and a 1*2 in the middle. My sister was visiting and the haka worked just fine we were out in 15 mph winds she moved over to the upwind tippy side I was real surprised how well they worked. Need some kind of stanchion on each side so passenger can get upto step over when tacking. Good sailing to u all The Dewd will be abiding on Lake Oahe South Dakota

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Dewd, I'm from S Dak but have not been back there in recent years. Currently reside in S FL from Nov-May, and then in northern NM for the summer months. If you get to either of those places, drop in.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:17 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

There's no doubt in my mind that a sleep aboard mod available from Hobie would sell well. It seems like a progression that's naturally occurring despite no such offerings from H.

Ill bet they take the leap and provide a modular sleep aboard addition.

Pete

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'll take you up on that, Pete. $5 says they don't in the next 3 yrs, no make it 4 yrs.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Maybe this would work? http://www.gizmag.com/bear-grylls-paddleboard-tent/28638/

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:58 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Chekika wrote:
I'll take you up on that, Pete. $5 says they don't in the next 3 yrs, no make it 4 yrs.

Keith

I agree Keith, but I just bet the odds are way way shorter that Hobie will release some hakas. Just think, universal fit for all Islands, rotomolded just like the hulls, padeyes for barber-haulers , fitting so that the Hobie seats can be attached facing forward, etc etc - bewdy! C'mon Hobie, you know you want to! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes, Tony, "Hobie Hakas" seem like a no-brainer. We will see.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon