Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:39 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Went camping to Shell Key and fishing for 2 days with some friends. They took canoe and some kayaks and I met them later on by launching from a little spot before the bridge to Fort De Soto. Of course as my luck would have it, there was barely any wind. We did some fishing off the beach on the island then everybody kinda just took a nap, because of the heat and the relentless sun.
I woke up to a sound of very strong wind beating the heck out of my tent and blowing away other peoples tents and umbrellas. So what do I do.... got out into to to sail. Did not realize how windy and how big waves were. Scared myself couple of times. It was my first time mounting gopro on my rig and my mount failed numerous times. I wish I captured some of the huge waves that almost turned my TI over. Here is the video of my spliced footage of what actually got filmed between the fails.
Either way it was lots of fun, though we had to cut our camping trip short.
One thing I need is to figure out a cheap way rigg my go pro on the TI.... Im not buying anymore any mounts.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnemVKWq2M0[/youtube]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great stuff Kommy.

In the past we have spoken at lengths about how the camera lens flattens the water. I bet you couldn't believe when you got home and downloaded the footage, that the waves seemed virtually non-existent compared to reality. A GoPro lens ( at 170degrees i think ) does flatten the water and also the higher it is off the water, the flatter it becomes. I made myself a gimbal mount which keeps the camera horizontal in 2 directions, thinking it would show waves at their true height. Dunno if it really makes much difference but it does give a different perspective of what's going on. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnnXp74Nx60

Really enjoyed your footage. Some spots still look pretty big to me.

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:52 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Glad the wind finally kicked in. Almost a be careful what you wished for moment.

There's going to be a group of AI's and TI's on shell key the weekend of June 1st if you're interested. Chief from watertribe is putting it together and you don't have to be in the watertribe to attend.
http://www.meetup.com/WaterTribe-Adventures/events/116020212/?_af_eid=116020212&a=uc1_te&_af=event

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 3:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Sounds like fun. We will try to make it over on Sat or Sun...or both...too.