Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

People near Sarasota, FL, claim that Hobie has shipped some AI/TIs already. They are expecting delivery in about a week, i.e., Jan 15-17.

It is getting exciting.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

Last edited by Chekika on Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Rumor in Florida...
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'll keep an eye out, and take pics when they show. I suspect we have more TI's around here than anywhere else (this is a major major sailing area).
Bob

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

One person in Sarasota, FL, claims to have received his 2015 TI. It's maiden voyage will be at a WaterTribe Hobie Island event at Ft Desoto Park marina/ramp on Sunday, Jan 18, 9:30 am.

Rumor now has it that TIs are shipping ahead of AIs, because TIs had less change than the AIs. Makes sense.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Fact: Further delay for shipping AI. The ship time from Hobie to my dealer is now Jan 26.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:58 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I suspect there are a lot of TI's in sarasota, it's a pretty nice sailing area and perfect for the TI (kayaking and sailing). Plus everyone see's me out there pretty much every weekend doing my exercise thing with a big old smile on my face (lol, can't help it I love my ti). I see a lot of couples on them and try to swing by every TI I see and say hi. Pretty much every weekend people stop by and inquire about my boat. We are likely going out today on our friends powerboat and I'll keep an eye out for this new TI, I'll try to stop by at economy tackle today and get the lowdown. If I go to the watertribe event on Sunday I will be sure to take pictures of the new TI.
Actually I'm pretty excited to see and hear about it. There are two local dealers, one here (economy tackle) and another just up the road in st Pete (tackle shack), they are both very good. I believe there is another dealer south of here near port Charlotte (don't know much about them and haven't been to the area but I hear it's a very nice area.
Bob

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 11:44 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Fact: Ship date for my 2015 AI from Hobie to my dealer has been pushed back still further. New ship date: Feb 9, 2015. At least I don't have to worry whether it will get here for our "Proposed major trip of year: Chokoloskee—Pavilion Key—Hog Key—Graveyard—MidCape Sable—Flamingo." http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=7276&start=570 That trip is scheduled for Feb 1-7 (or 8 ). I do hope it (my 2015 AI) gets here before the 2015 Everglades Challenge which begins Mar 7.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I stopped in at Economy Tackle today in Sarasota and the rumor is true, they did get some TI's in, however they didn't have anything to show yet because they just got the boats in and they are all very busy getting them ready for delivery (quite a few were pre-sold long ago), but hope to have a TI on their showroom floor in a couple days. I'll stop back in and take pics when they have something to see. I'm probably going to get one (TI #4) but will wait till June or so when they are more readily available (besides there is nothing wrong with my current one). I asked if they got any Adventure Islands in, but the employee I talked to didn't know for sure what they actually received, she just said Hobie was very busy and everyone was doing the best they could.
Very exciting
Bob

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Latest--I've now heard that Chief of WaterTribe & Everglades Challenge fame has picked up his 2015 AI in the Sarasota, FL area.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:35 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Someone posted a picture of their new 2015 TI!

http://instagram.com/p/x5XXQVyGI_/

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Steve Isaacs, WaterTribe's leader, has posted the following regarding the AI:
Chief wrote:
Good news! I actually have a boat now and can be back on the water in time for the meetups. It was touch and go for awhile.

The new 2015 Hobie AIs and TIs arrived yesterday at Tackle Shack. I helped unload the truck (I should get derby points for that workout) and rigged my own AI and another AI before I had to leave. The new AI is truly AWESOME!!!!

The vaka is bigger and has a better shape. The amas are bigger and have a better shape. The mast is taller with a larger sail and three battens like the TI. It has a centerboard instead of a dagger board which is good for several reasons. They fixed many other small issues as well.

And the seat!!!!! Not only is it comfortable for days or weeks in the boat, it can be removed and used as a camp seat.

You'll see what I'm raving about on Saturday.

Tackle Shake is near St. Petersburg, FL. Not far from Ft. Desoto Park, where the 2015 Everglades Challenge will start on March 7 at 7:00 am.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

joemoglia wrote:
Someone posted a picture of their new 2015 TI!

http://instagram.com/p/x5XXQVyGI_/

Nice! I know mine has arrived as well, but it will stay in the warehouse until sailing season.

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I finally got to Economy Tackle in Sarasota and got to see a 2015 TI (pretty nice)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMQ8MuMm3IY

Some things I noticed:
The boat now comes with double bungy's.

They removed the handles on the hull.

The stainless steel metal cleats in the center top of the AMA's is now removed (bummer, I had my safety lines attached there), (I wish they had been left on, oh well...)). It looks like any future jib options are totally out of the picture now (bummer).

They now better dummy mirage plugs (the old ones broke very easily).

The separate cleat for the up rudder has been removed (at the back of the mesh pocket), in favor of a Harken cleat (just like the down line) (I like it).

Obviously the front of the bow has been re-shaped (latest wave piercing design), I have no idea if it will have much effect, but they did a nice job.

Fit and finish of the overall unit is what we would expect from Hobie (very very nice)

The new seats look very nice and comfortable.

I didn't get a chance to look at the new scupper drains or the lowrance ready fittings (didn't think to look).

All in all I'm pretty impressed (but I'm very biased (LOL), I love the TI's

Obviously this area (Sarasota Florida) is kind of a sailing Mecca (especially for this type of boat (AI/TI), and kayaking, and Economy Tackle in Sarasota I believe is one of the biggest dealers for Hobie kayaks and AI/TI's (mostly because we have great sailing and kayaking weather all year round), plus they really do a nice job as a dealer (very knowledgeable).
They are very busy right now so they won't have any AI's out on display for at least another week ( I was told), Once they are able to put one on display I will take another video. If I see Chiefs new AI at Ft Desoto tomorrow I try to get some video of his new AI). I'm going out to Sarasota bay today and will try to chase down one of the 15 new local 2015 TI's with my gopro.
Exciting

Bob

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for the video!

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

These are a few pictures taken this morning of WT Chief's AI at the Ft Desoto Park boat ramps. The Park is on Tampa Bay, just south of St Petersburg, FL. The pictures were taken by my friend, Joshua Morgan--a multiple finisher in the WaterTribe's Everglades Challenge.

This is the best picture I have, more or less, to compare Chief's 2015 AI to my 2011 AI. While there are lots, LOTS!, of small differences (great seat, double bungeed amas, center board rather than a dagger board, etc), the big difference in performance is going to be the vaka (hull) bow, the longer amas, the position of the new amas, and the taller mast.

More pictures of Chief's 2015 AI:

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Now I'm getting excited ! Thanks for posting the video/pics.
- C