Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 5:43 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

A very gracious group of AI sailors, invited me to join them in a sail around Shell Key saturday at Fort Desoto. Lots of smiling faces and pretty sails in the wind. Thanks to one and all for a great day on the water.

http://youtu.be/gj7ORRVjfx0

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 7:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Larry, you make it sound like AI sailors are a different species from TI sailors! My experience is that there is NO difference other than the number of people with a seat! Of course each Island has its own strengths and weaknesses, but these are totally eclipsed by the similarities, and I reckon Hobie really got this part right.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 7:31 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Tony, I didn't mean to imply any difference. This group was camping at the Fort Desoto camp grounds and I was just fishing that morning. It was a nice sight to see all those sails coming across the water towards me. Just a wonderful day sailing.

Larry

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 4:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It was nice seeing you this weekend Larry. We had a good group of sailors and sailorettes. Chekika and his wife from Miami area, Yakaholic and his good size group from Jacksonville as well as a few locals. If you can get away tomorrow Larry, we're probably sailing again ... possibly to circle Egmont Key and have lunch out there.

I Love sailing with a group :D of Hobie islands. Doesn't get much better than that.

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 5:12 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Jim, I would love to but have to work. :x You are right about it being a lot of fun with a group.

Have a great day tomorrow and tell everyone I said hello and fair winds and tides. Larry :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 2:07 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

CaptnChaos wrote:
I Love sailing with a group :D of Hobie islands.

I agree. I am new here on this forum, moving back to Florida end of next month. Hoping to find a condo in the Crystal River area with a dock on a canal with Gulf access (found a couple already). Then I would like to find a good place for sailing lessons on a Tandem Island before I buy one.

I am not restricted by work since I retired a few years ago.

Is your sailing group headquartered anywhere near Crystal River?

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 2:36 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

BillboGator, Welcome to the area, Crystal River is north of Tampa Bay area. I have sailed up there a time or two, but its about a 2 and a half hour drive. I was fishing when Susan and her group came by and asked me to join them for the sail around Shell Key, I didn't get the name of the group, but maybe CaptnChaos will know and reply. A very nice group of sailors. I am sure we could find a place to meet in between here and there for a day of fun. Tight Lines Larry :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 5:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Larry, nice pics! and it was a surprise to see you out on the water around Ft Desoto... I figured Jim had clued you into the meetup as he had me but running (or sailing) into you purely chance was neat!
Good to sail with you again, we need to get out together, maybe with Jim, again soon...

BillboGator, the Meetup Group that we sailed with in Ft Desoto is out of Jacksonville but they meetup and sail in various places throughout the state, I'm sure including your area around Crytsal River as well on occassion so it would pay to keep tabs on them. They are found at http://www.meetup.com/Hobie-adventure-i ... ling-Group
I've recently joined them and hope to get to do some of their trips further from my area (Tampa Bay).

Don

2005 Outback Red
2011 Adventure Blue converted to an Island
2015 Tandem Island Red

E-mail: [email protected]

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 2:31 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

CaptnChaos wrote:
I Love sailing with a group :D of Hobie islands.

I agree. I am new here on this forum, moving back to Florida end of next month. Hoping to find a condo in the Crystal River area with a dock on a canal with Gulf access (found a couple already). Then I would like to find a good place for sailing lessons on a Tandem Island before I buy one.

I am not restricted by work since I retired a few years ago.

Is your sailing group headquartered anywhere near Crystal River?

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 3:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sounds like a great get together. It's starting to cool down over this way so our fair weather sailing days are not as frequent. It's always good hearing about your outings though.

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.