Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I recently came back from a multi-day trip to Dunedin lightning...er, CAUSEway and I noticed there is a small crossbar-shaped indention in the bottom of my AI where it rested for a few days on the trip.

Is this fixable? There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the integrity of the hull itself...leakwise, anyway, but I am worried about the long term.

There is a good lesson here about using a trailer - I just don't want to drag a trailer behind me for the long road trips and risk potentially getting hit in the back; though it would definitely make setup time much easier. Loading an AI on the top of an Xterra is HARD WORK!

Would saddles be the answer? I would DEFINITELY like to be able to put two yaks on top even if I am forced to use a trailer for the AI.

Love the hippy vibe at the Causeway, by the way. You guys down there have a good thing going.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Flip it over so the dent is facing up in the sun. It may come back on it's own. If not completely, some hot water poured over it and pushing from the inside should finish it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ditto to KB's comments.

Trailer--I've pulled a trailer with sea kayaks/AIs for about 13 yrs and never had an accident. That included hauling it from the Miami area 400 mi up to Cedar Key many times. I'm very opposed to car topping these boats if they are used in saltwater--inevitably, you will rust out your car. It may also require taking a body-building course on the side.

My latest trailer is the Hobie (Trailex) double AI trailer. You can read about it's build at http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=7276&start=435 Scroll down to the Hobie Adventure Island Trailer post.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have always trailered my TI, and don't worry about the possibility of someone running into the back of it. You have a lot of input into reducing the possibility by your own driving behaviour of course. If you are attentive, and avoid needing to make emergency stops, the driver behind you will not need to panic either.

In order to further minimise any risks, I had a hi-viz safety jacket sewed into a rudder cover, and also added a trailer light board closer to the stern than the standard trailer lights.
Not visible in the photo are red/white reflective strips which run along the outsides of the hull and amas, to light up like a beacon in the headlights of vehicles approaching from the side. 20 pieces cost a massive $A3.07 including postage!
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SN9F-20Pcs-A ... 1c39273b74

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:33 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
indention in the bottom of my AI

Dent repair FAQ: http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=35313

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

lboiv001:
We have a TI , when we are at our Sarasota home we just store the TI on the trailer in the garage (way easier and faster than car topping).
However when we go down to our Key West place we have no garage and no place to store a trailer so we typically car top the TI. Also when we travel with our camper it uses the trailer hitch so we have to car top the boat whenever we go camping as well.
We have had that TI on the roof for many weeks at a time, and you are correct if it sits out in the sun tool long you will get dents on the bottom from the roof rack. Usually I don't worry a lot about the dents, it seems if you let the boat sit out in the sun the dents slowly come out over time, you may need to use hot water and help them a little though.
When we are just going out for the day I just store the boat right on my T-bar and the roof racks, however if I know the boat is going to be up there a while what I do is shove pool noodles between the boat and the roof (lengthways) to help support the boat more evenly. It also helps to relax the straps a little if the car is just going to sit (don't forget to tighten them back up though before driving). We have motor cycle locks thru the mirage drive holes and around the roof racks. The way I figure it, the dang boat is so big and heavy, and if they overcome all the locks and get it down without waking us up and getting shot, then they can keep it (it's insured anyway). I simply can't imagine two teenagers running down the street with a fully loaded TI on their heads. So size and weight does matter ( LOL).

Something I was thinking about trying if your not too keen on the pool noodles. I was thinking about putting the boat up onto the roof like normal, then lift the rear of the boat and slide a couple 1 1/2" dia PVC pipes up from the back and following the grooves on the bottom of the boat that are on 11" centers the full length of the boat. This is how I support my boat when on the trailer. It would certainly be better weight distribution. Nothing permanent, just slide the pipes in before strapping down, then remove the pipes before unloading the boat. It will cost you about $10 bucks to find out if it works (the cost of the PVC pipe). If I ever car top again I'll likely try that ( I suspect my car topping days are over now, just getting too old).

Bob

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:35 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

fusioneng wrote:
lboiv001:
We have a TI , when we are at our Sarasota home we just store the TI on the trailer in the garage (way easier and faster than car topping).
However when we go down to our Key West place we have no garage and no place to store a trailer so we typically car top the TI. Also when we travel with our camper it uses the trailer hitch so we have to car top the boat whenever we go camping as well.
We have had that TI on the roof for many weeks at a time, and you are correct if it sits out in the sun tool long you will get dents on the bottom from the roof rack. Usually I don't worry a lot about the dents, it seems if you let the boat sit out in the sun the dents slowly come out over time, you may need to use hot water and help them a little though.
When we are just going out for the day I just store the boat right on my T-bar and the roof racks, however if I know the boat is going to be up there a while what I do is shove pool noodles between the boat and the roof (lengthways) to help support the boat more evenly. It also helps to relax the straps a little if the car is just going to sit (don't forget to tighten them back up though before driving). We have motor cycle locks thru the mirage drive holes and around the roof racks. The way I figure it, the dang boat is so big and heavy, and if they overcome all the locks and get it down without waking us up and getting shot, then they can keep it (it's insured anyway). I simply can't imagine two teenagers running down the street with a fully loaded TI on their heads. So size and weight does matter ( LOL).

Something I was thinking about trying if your not too keen on the pool noodles. I was thinking about putting the boat up onto the roof like normal, then lift the rear of the boat and slide a couple 1 1/2" dia PVC pipes up from the back and following the grooves on the bottom of the boat that are on 11" centers the full length of the boat. This is how I support my boat when on the trailer. It would certainly be better weight distribution. Nothing permanent, just slide the pipes in before strapping down, then remove the pipes before unloading the boat. It will cost you about $10 bucks to find out if it works (the cost of the PVC pipe). If I ever car top again I'll likely try that ( I suspect my car topping days are over now, just getting too old).

Bob

Excellent idea.....I also use a heavy duty bike lock run through the scuppers and tied around one of the roof racks for theft security as well as preventing the boat from sliding off the back just in case of a catastrophic strap breakage.

You guys have convinced me that the trailer option is the way to go.... I am damn sure not getting any younger!

The question now is modding a cheap trailer to fit the AI as well as one or two more kayaks/canoes. I REALLY do not want to shell out $2K for the Hobie double trailer.

There are some fantastic trailer mod threads here on this site, but if anyone on this particular thread has pics/linkls to an all out cheap dual-yak trailer mod, I would be more than willing to check it out..... I am already suffering analysis paralysis from the hundreds of ideas that seem to ALMOST fit the exact need, but not quite, for what I need.

I appreciate your assistance in advance, and apologize profusely for my laziness and indecision in this.....

You guys are fantastic....keep the brilliant ideas coming.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Fusioneng has built a cheap trailer (Northern Equipment?) for his tandem. Any ordinary steel trailer used around saltwater is going to rust seriously and fairly quickly. If you don't want to shell out the bucks for an aluminum trailer, then a galvanized one will do. It is not as light as aluminum and, in time, it will rust in a saltwater use, but it is pretty good--much, much better than ordinary steel. Kayaking Bob has built a simple flatbed trailer because he hauls a variety of boats.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon