Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:09 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Curious if any Adventure Island owners have come up against a Sunfish? Which is faster in the same wind? The sunfish has a larger sail. Just curious. Thought the SF was more of a toy but am learning differently.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've never raced with a Sunfish in my AI, so I can't say for sure. I do think a Sunfish could point towards the wind a little better than an AI, but you can pedal an AI, and that would eliminate any difference in that scenario.

A Sunfish can't touch a Bravo on a reach though, that's for sure. The AI would be closer, but I don't have any reference point. I would think that it would really depend on the direction of the wind, and also whether or not you'd like to pedal, even lightly.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I saw one sailing in the same wind on Sunday and I do not believe my AI could have stayed with him on a reach, and certainly not downwind.

A little digging around on the internet shows guys saying they can do 12 to 14 knots in a Sailfish.

No idea where an AI would top out.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I always take guys bragging about measurements with a grain of salt. How would a Sunfish go in a match race with an AI in 25 knot winds? How would they fare in the Watertribe challenge?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:54 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

No idea how overall capable they are, but the one I saw Sunday seemed to be pretty fast compared to my AI. If speed alone is the question, I'd say you might not want to put a money bet against one.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Speed alone is seldom the question. I'd back my little SUV against a Ferrari in a race up a fire trail.
Likewise, I'd back my AI (with money) against a Sunfish (or a Bravo) in winds much north of 20 knots.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

chrisj wrote:
I'd back my AI (with money) against a Sunfish (or a Bravo) in winds much north of 20 knots.

You might have to go to 25 knots or more to beat the Bravo. And does that Bravo have one or two people? :)

But yes, valid points have been stated. Pure straight line speed in average sailing winds, you're probably looking at the Sunfish over an AI. But I've raced boats on a reach with my Bravo that I have no business hanging with, and come out ahead. Speed is related to a lot of factors.

But to be fair, I've sailed my AI when only the kiteboarders are out, and that's impossible to do with my Bravo and just plain stupid to do with a Sunfish.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:03 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

augaug wrote:
You might have to go to 25 knots or more to beat the Bravo. And does that Bravo have one or two people? :)

Couldn't resist trying to bait you augaug :mrgreen: .

Would the Bravo do better with one or two people? I've never sailed a Bravo, but I've done a bit of racing in a Maricat (similar to a Bravo) with a friend. We've often been up against people sailing identical boats single-handed. We're a bit slower on the water, but we've won more often than not by having one on the helm and one for tactics, sheeting and hiking.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I sailed a sunfish alot in my younger years (about 35 years ago) and I remember the rudder being almost impossible to handle in strong winds heeled over so far that the end of the boom was touching the water. The dynamics of that much wind, sail and heel made staying a course impossible.

Prolly shouldn't have been out in those conditions but I was young and stooopid.

... now I'm not so young but still err, ummm, well this thread kinda says it all

viewtopic.php?f=70&t=30994&hilit=earl

Papaya AI2 to replace my well worn V1
TheTwins - His/Hers 2007 Papaya Hobie Adventure Island's (v1.00.01)
.. and a Hobie Outback SUV

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

chrisj wrote:
Couldn't resist trying to bait you augaug :mrgreen: ...

Would the Bravo do better with one or two people? ....

Well played :lol:

The Bravo is much slower with two adults, but it's also much tougher to tip. The problem with the Bravo in high winds, (and this is why I'll eventually move to a boat like the Wave) is that its just so narrow for a cat, there's only so much you can to do keep the hull down in heavy winds.

I've raced a windsurfer, (who's skill isn't Olympic level, to state it mildly) and in very light winds, he's quicker. In fairly strong winds I'm quicker, but in very strong winds on certain points of sail, I struggle to keep the hull down, where he can just lean way back and fly.

If I had a boat like a Wave, I've got a seven foot beam, instead of 4 and a half. That allows the sailor to keep more pressure outside of the boat. I can't see setting up a trapeze on a Bravo.... but I've thought about it. 8)

So yeah, two people in VERY strong winds would keep the boat level, and allow you to sail in stronger winds than you could sail solo. I can always reef the sail, but what's the fun in that? :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for that. I hadn't realised the Bravo had such a narrow beam. The Maricat is 2.35 metres wide, so more like a Wave.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yeah, you'd never guess it, but a Laser is actually wider than a Bravo. The Bravo is wider for longer, but overall, the Laser is (I believe) two inches wider. I'm not sure of the measurements of a Sunfish.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:55 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Here on the Chesapeake there is a nice Sunfish fleet on Grand View Island. I often sail with them just to get away from the power boats that are present in the summer in my area. I think that the AI and Sunfish are very comparable. Without the Mirage Drive they would beat me most of the time. The drive is the secret weapon. I have several videos posted on Youtube.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emsDGTVlu_E[/youtube]

http://dogslifeadventures.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Before anyone gets cocky and decides to challenge a lazer (at least this guy) you might want to check out this video first.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50nJ8UkOGwg&feature=player_detailpage[/youtube]
You'll thank me later,.. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'll have what the camera guy was riding :lol: :lol: