Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi All, Im sure some of you have seen my trip report to Great Keppel Island last year viewtopic.php?f=70&t=47433

This year I am thinking of either returning to the Keppels, or heading a bit further north to the Whitsundays. Has any one taken the AI or TI out for a week or two in the Whitsundays in May/June? I have sailed the area on bigger yachts but never the TI.

If anyone wants to tag along or organise a bit of an expedition, Id be up for that. The more AI/TI sailers the better 8) Post here or PM with any ideas.

Cheers,
Dave

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey, Dave, I might go if I knew where it was. Is this in FL, Hawaii, Spain, NZ, or Oz?

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Keith, go to this website: https://www.google.com/ and type in either "Whitsundays" or "Keppel Island" :wink: .

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks, Chris. Of course, I could have done that. My post was a bit of tongue-in-cheek. I don't understand why members of this forum, who are from all over the world, don't identify the their location on their profile. It's not like they are giving away top secrets. It's not a Snowden thing. Yeah, I know, it is just my pet peeve. People are free to do as they like. Just don't expect me to bother with their post if I have no idea where they are talking about. Just a personal thing with me...mumble, grumble...

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I hear you Keith, but I tend to think it would get old quickly if everyone included the full description of locations here. If I see a post mentioning, say, the Everglades, and I am not aware of such a place in my own area, I can assume it is somewhere else. Adding, "FL, USA" would seem to be redundant.

This forum has evolved into being the international Hobie Island forum (we have a "domestic" one here in Australia as well), which is logical, as many threads are not dependent on location (such as the haka. Trax cart, video cams threads etc), and contributions from everywhere help make such threads so useful. Many aussies (for example) have decided not to bother with the domestic forum for this reason.

So Keith, I am afraid it is unlikely that your pet peeve will be solved any time soon. Sorry mate! :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:58 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hee hee, sorry Keith, I was being a bit tongue in cheek too. I agree it would be nice if everyone put their approximate location in their signature, though I doubt that if Dave had specified he lived in "Northern NSW", it would have helped much.
There was a bit of discussion last year on the Everglades Challenge thread to the effect that if we were ever to have a similar event in Australia, the Whitsunday Islands would probably be the ideal location.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

As I say, its not that difficult.

Tony, I see you are from Forster, NSW, and Chris is from Calga, NSW, Australia. I'm from South Florida. That's not a big deal to include that in your profile. People are not risking state secrets to disclose their location. When you come down to it, it is a matter of courtesy.

Even people here in the USA or FL, I often wonder where they are in FL?

I must be getting old, "Fart Dust," NOHUHU said.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

Last edited by Chekika on Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Damn! :oops: You've got a great memory though,..

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

To be honest, I didn't even know I hadn't specified my location in my profile, mistake on my part that has now been fixed. Sorry for the inconvenience I have caused.

Also, I didn't really expect people from other countries to be interested in this trip, however I did think that most people around the world were aware that the Whitsunday Islands are in Australia, my bad on that one. In future I will make sure I put the precise state and country (post code too?) in any topic heading so as not to confuse anyone again.

Anyway, I haven't had any interest in a possible group trip on this forum (only a bit of negativity) so I'll get out of everyone's way and go solo again.

Dave,
Shara Boulevard, Ocean Shores, New South Wales, Australia, Planet Earth.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Dave, please don't go anywhere. Posts sometimes get slow this time of year here and sometimes our pet peeves get the better of us when we don't have anything better to post. You will find most of Keith's posts very helpful or beautiful and enjoyable.

I do agree with Keith that location info missing on so many profiles makes us scratch our heads sometimes on where the posts mean. You just helped bring this up so many may now update theirs as well, which is a good thing.

Keep smiling, and enjoy our sport and times here together. If you ever get to Maui, let me know and hopefully we can get out sailing together.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks, Dave, for the addition.

Don't take it too personally if people don't jump on your trips. Camping trips aren't for everyone. Also, people are doing their own thing, and it is hard to get them going in your direction. I live in the suburbs of Miami, FL. Probably 3 million people within 30 mi of me, and, to my knowledge, none of these 3 million people have ever done an AI/TI camping trip with me.

If you keep posting them and write up your trips with pictures, sooner or later there will be a trip everyone jumps on--well, at least a few. Sounds like the Whitsundays are a great place to camp.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Dave, I reckon the Whitsundays would have to be the very best location in Australia for saioling Islands. I was quite surprised when some friends of mine asked me to join them on a trip to Lady Musgrave Reef (50NM straight out to sea!!!) which included a 2,000 kilometre road journey (and return), rather than sail in the Whitsundays.

Their little 18 foot trailersailer cat got the couple and young son to the reef, where it blew so hard they couldn't sleep onboard, and had to take shelter on a bigger yacht that was anchored there. Dodged that bullet!

So the Whitsundays remain on my bucket list. As the others hav said, don't be discouraged from an apparent lack of interest, the interest is definitely there for exciting trips, but sometimes the logistics let us down.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yeah, what red-blooded sailor wouldn't have the Whitsundays on their bucket list? As Tony says, the problem is logistics. 650 miles north of Brisbane, 1100 miles north of Sydney, 1600 miles north of Melbourne....

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

but 7500 kilometers from Hawaii :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

KayakingBob wrote:
but 7500 kilometers from Hawaii :)

Geez Bob, I converted to miles for the benefit of all the American readers.