Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 3:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: mast receiver nut
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:33 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

just bought a used 2013 Hobie tandem island.We have had it 2 weeks and have taken it out 3 times . The last time we took it out I noticed the mast was not setting straight. I tried , but the mast would not seat. we tried sailing in 8 mph wind and noticed sail was extremely low.We rolled it up and went home, that is when i notice the v frame had popped loose, I found remnant of glue at the knuckle. I took the aka and receiver out,only to find the setscrew still intact, but the brass knarled nut in the knuckle of the boat had broken in half and came out. It was exactly at the end point of the stainless set screw.The other end of the knarled nut is still lodged in the boat. I do not know if it possible to take it out and replace it, or will I have to come up with another solution? ( bolt all the way though bottom to top and fill)?

Post subject: Re: mast receiver nut
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:42 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Gator:
First off do nothing trying to repair this until you get an evaluation from Hobie (the boat is still under warranty (2 yrs) and if you muff it up this will void the warranty.
Taking and posting pictures helps the rest of us visualize what your problem is, and chances are someone has ran into a similar situation and can share what they did to fix the problem.
In the bottom of the hull there is a molded in brass insert, if this is broken, unfortunately there is not much anyone can do to repair, and a new hull would likely be required (under warranty). I've followed these forums for a long time and this is the first time I have ever heard of this failure (frankly I didn't think it possible) if what you discribe is what it is.
However if you are talking about the brass insert that is molded into the bottom of the black mast holder this may be a different problem (this is why pics are important) so we can understand exactly what is broken better.

The best thing to do is take the boat to an Authorized Hobie dealer and they will determine what the problem is and submit for warranty repair with hobie (they are the only ones who can do this, Hobie only works thru their dealers, not with end users).

The warranty is based on the manufacture date which is contained in the Hull identification number (HID number) which is engraved on the rear right side of the hull, unless you have the original sales receipt from an authorized dealer showing date of purchase (for example if you were to buy a new last years model boat, your warranty starts from the date of purchase FYI, so that original sales receipt from the new purchase is pretty important to hang onto, even if you are the second owner, it's a good idea to get a copy of the original sales reciept from the guy you buy the boat from (most don't mind doing this, possibly something fishy if they can't supply this, because if you ever wanted to register the boat, that original receipt is necessary to determine if sales tax was applied to the original new purchase from the dealer, if not your liable for the sales tax if you want to register the boat (at least in Florida anyway I don't know about other states).
Edit : Before doing anything take it to the Hobie dealer, you may get a brand new boat because that part is not supposed to break, and if it did, then there is probably a manufacturing defect (which should be covered I would think).
Bob

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:01 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

It sounds from the post as though what broke was the molded in brass piece that is at the TOP of the V brace. The V brace attaches to this below, and the aka cross piece above.
Very likely not repairable. Talk to Hobie, through your dealer. I'm confident they will do well by you.
If you are a ways from the dealer, you may be able to communicate well enough with clear pictures to make a definitive diagnosis. Some dealers are more experienced than others, and having good pics will help them communicate with Hobie, too.
Not to mention that we on the forums like to see pictures of what can happen, and give our two-cents worth (which in many cases is worth a heck of a lot more than $0.02)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:29 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thank you for the feed back.I may have not been very clear. The damage is not to the v brace. The damage is where the set screw goes thru the v brace and mast receiver and screws into the brass knuckle in the bottom of the boat.The brass insert broke in half and was tore out of the hole. The set screw was not broken, but the insert was broken in half at the depth of the set screw.The rest of the brass insert is still logged in the bottom of the hull. I will try to get some pictures. As I say Thank You for your input.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Gator:
Yea I think we understand what broke, this is the first time any of us have ever heard of that particular piece breaking ( all thought it impossible to break that component).
There is nothing you could have done (sailing wise) that could have caused that component to fail. That brass insert is molded into the hull during molding and is completely un-service able.
The insert that was installed in the factory during molding had to be defective.
Hobie stands behind their products like no other company.
The piece that broke is an internal structural component and there is nothing that can be done to repair your hull.
Do not try to repair yourself. You pretty much have to either take the boat to a authorized dealer( the easiest solution). Go to the hobiecat website above and find the nearest dealer to you, call them (taking pictures and sending to them always helps), and send them the pics. They will call Hobie and submit a warranty claim.
I had a similar situation on my first TI where the hull ripped open while pulling the boat out of the water on the scupper cart, I was pulling the boat about 4 feet up a sand beach. The dealer (Economy Tackle in Sarasota FL) just happened to be doing a demo ten feet away and saw exactly what happened. He was on his cellphone within five minutes with Hobie factory, and a brand new hull was shipped the same day from the factory. Five days later the dealer called and asked me to bring the boat in, they pulled the boat off my car, took all the components off my old hull and installed them on my new boat, then checked everything out and put the new boat onto my car. We are on the road in about an hour, we left directly from the dealship on our two week vacation to key west where we sailed every day while down there ( literally saved our vacation).
I have never experienced such un presidented support from anyone to that level before. I'm now on my third tandem island and wouldn't want to own anything else. We are out on ours every single weekend all year round and love every minute of it. We consider the TI to be the perfect family boat for us and our lifestyle. I don't think I'm alone on my feelings about Hobie.
Just get the darn thing fixed so you can get back out on the water and enjoy the Hobie way of life.
Bob

Edit: when we took the defective hull to the dealer they were requested to cut the defective area out and send it to the factory. By the time I bought my next TI (1 yr later) Hobie had re-designed the scupper holes by adding a black sleeve to the scupper tubes. What occurred to me can never occur again to me or anyone else. That's just one testament to Hobies dedication to their products.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:48 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

If someone will tell me how to show photos, I will post the photos.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The insert is broken inside the hull - I've seen the photos - I suggest heading to your dealer to get a warranty claim started.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

gator54 wrote:
If someone will tell me how to show photos, I will post the photos.

FYI - posting images - link: http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=8574

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:55 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Sorry for the delay here is the
Link to photos of damaged parts -

http://s32.photobucket.com/user/debobruce/library/

Last edited by gator54 on Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:15 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

8/25/14
I am taking my Tandem Island to the Hobie Dealer Tomorrow. I thank you for all the help.We had been sailing our outbacks 3 yrs. Sold them last weekend after we had tried the T/I out. Was kind off discouraged when this damage occurred. Some things are for the best I never got to perform a good pre check list before , but I am thinking it is a good place to check every time before you go out. I will let the forum members know the out come with the Hobie dealer. Thanks to Hobie for the quick response.

8/26/14 Was contacted by Hobie this afternoon , a new hull is on order .