Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:42 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

1. The front of our Mirage Drive sometimes slips down in the opening which keeps the unit from functioning - usually at the worst time possible. Any suggestions on how to keep this from happening?
2. The "pegs" on the seat bottom don't stay in the holes provided in the body of the kayak. How do you secure the seat better so it doesn't come out and slip around?

DaveinErie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Is it possible that you have an older ai/ti (pre 2012). I had an early 2010 model and those were my only complaints about the boat, by the time I bought my 2012 ti both the seat pegs and the mirage drive had been re-designed so this was no longer an issue.
I know of no easy fix for either problem.
Bob

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm not sure what the issue is with your Mirage drive. Do you have pictures to illustrate the problem?

Regarding seat pegs not staying, do you have the newer expandable pegs? Here is a link to ACK showing these pegs. http://www.austinkayak.com/products/2293/Hobie-Seat-Peg-Kit.html?k=hobie%20seat%20peg These expandable pegs hold quite well on both my wife's 2009 and my 2011 AI. Another trick is to glue some kitchen drawer non-slip material on the bottom of the seat. The non-slip material can be found at "The Container Store." Here is a picture of material I have glued on the bottom of my seat. It will be cut to size and glued on.

Still, the expandable pegs work quite well by themselves.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:29 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I didn't have Keith's luck with the expanable seat pegs. Mine didn't work from day one. If you have them and they are pulling out, check out this thread: Twist Lock Seat Peg Conversion

Fairly easy and cheap to do. Some cut threads to install them, but I just siliconed mine and they are still holding after 3 years.

Post subject: SEAT PLUGS
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have the older style of seat sockets. The Twist-expandible seat anchors didn't hold for me until I roughened the holes. I used flexible coarse 'emory'-type cloth tape. I wrapped it around my finger and roughened the holes. I had to do that several times. The plastic is so smooth, that even a tightly expanded plug would eventually slip when any water got into the anchor holes.
But roughening the surface really made a difference. I usually roughen the holes a couple of times a summer.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 3:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

DaveinErie,
Problem#1 is generally operator error caused by tilting the drive too far forward when clicking it in. In the earlier kayaks it's important to hold the drive spine horizontal. Don't judge this by the position of the pedal cranks which varies. Removing the rear splashguard helps. See viewtopic.php?f=60&t=12836
You could upgrade the spine to the new version which is much easier to insert. It fits earlier models after you cut the locating pins off.

Problem #2 is common and as the others have posted, there are many solutions. Let me add another, which after 6 years of Island sailing and trying the various solutions posted is our favourite as you no longer sit in a puddle.
viewtopic.php?f=69&t=51971&p=238588