Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:55 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I can confirm. Took delivery of 2015 TI from Tackle Shack in St. Pete on Saturday. Put boat on water today. Great experience in 10 to 15 knot afternoon winds on the Caloosahatchee in Fort Myers. New seats are outstanding! The mesh fabric is very comfortable. The adjustability to customize makes this seat worth every penny. I could sit in these seats all day without any fatigue or discomfort. Outstanding engineering job Hobie!

Boat handles very well in decent wind while coping with wakes from busy IC waterway. Sailed as a single from rear seat and later with a passenger in front seat. Both experiences were a ton of fun. Rudder authority with two passengers on board felt better.

Speed seat drains are a blessing. Standing the mast is a challenge but doable for me but might be a two man job for some. Furler and mainsheet lines and tackle are what you'd expect from Hobie. Simple, straight forward and easy to use and manage.

Lastly, Jimmy at Tackle Shack did an outstanding job with demo and delivery.
Looking forward to next chance to put her in the water!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Aaahhh! Spring can't come fast enough! Gatorjim, glad you are enjoying you're new ride!

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here's the first report I've heard from someone about their experience on the water with a 2015 AI. Here's what Chief from Watertribe said regarding his new AI
Quote:
"CaptnChaos:
The 2015 AI is GREAT! It is different in so many ways. I wish you could have been to one of the meetups this weekend to see it. I was looking forward to just the seat upgrade, but they change a lot of stuff and made the boat completely different. I love it! "

When I asked him about speed he said it was faster than the older AI's that were sailing with him on both days.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

CaptnChaos wrote:
Here's the first report I've heard from someone about their experience on the water with a 2015 AI. Here's what Chief from Watertribe said regarding his new AI
Quote:
"CaptnChaos:
The 2015 AI is GREAT! It is different in so many ways. I wish you could have been to one of the meetups this weekend to see it. I was looking forward to just the seat upgrade, but they change a lot of stuff and made the boat completely different. I love it! "

When I asked him about speed he said it was faster than the older AI's that were sailing with him on both days.

I like most that final line, "...faster than the older AI's that were sailing with him on both days." Yeah!

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Another picture of WT Chief's 2015 AI on a beach near Ft Desoto (near St Petersburg, FL.) Very nice looking. Of course, the new mirage drive with "Glide Technology" is also interesting--one of the least talked about items, but a very important improvement to the 2015 AI. The picture was taken by WT member Elizabeth Wolf.

Also note Chief's new hakas.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It's adorable! Very Bat-Boatish! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 3:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sorry for the quality of these pictures, but they give an idea of the difference in sail shape of the 2015 TI vs earlier models. The picture of the 2015 was taken near Ft Desoto Park (near St Petersburg, FL) a few days ago. The 2013 TI is Royd Whedon's (that is Royd) and was taken on this week's camping trip to Pavilion Key.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:09 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Chekika wrote:
Another picture of WT Chief's 2015 AI on a beach near Ft Desoto (near St Petersburg, FL.) Very nice looking. Of course, the new mirage drive with "Glide Technology" is also interesting--one of the least talked about items, but a very important improvement to the 2015 AI. The picture was taken by WT member Elizabeth Wolf.

Also note Chief's new hakas.

Keith

good looking rig!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Chekika wrote:
Sorry for the quality of these pictures, but they give an idea of the difference in sail shape of the 2015 TI vs earlier models. The picture of the 2015 was taken near Ft Desoto Park (near St Petersburg, FL) a few days ago. The 2013 TI is Royd Whedon's (that is Royd) and was taken on this week's camping trip to Pavilion Key.

Keith

Keith, I was under the impression that the 2015 TI sail was hardly changed over the previous one, and your photos seem to confirm this. Of course the new AI sail is quite a bit different from its predecessor...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have pictures of the 2015 TI hull, but no "close up" of the sail. The TI sail must be recut, it seems to me, to accommodate the new seats.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The 2013 photo shows a sail that is at least slightly furled.

I think the overall size increase was only about 5 square feet, although the mast is a little taller. I tend to doubt any reports that the new boat is substantially faster than the older boats. But then, I haven't sailed one of the new boats, yet.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Which boat are you talking about Tom? Chief gave his subjective opinion, that he sailed his 2015 AI faster than any other AIs around on 2 different days. Maybe he is just a better sailor, but he makes no such claim.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:21 pm 
Site Admin

Tom is talking about the TI mast and sail.

The TI sail was re-cut for the headroom required on the new seats. I believe the mast is the same length on 2014 vs 2015 TI.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

But he may well be a better sailor so that's not exactly a scientific comparison.

Adding 5 square feet of sail, albeit a tad higher, isn't likely to account for enough difference to say one boat is necessarily faster than another. And the new AI is heavier so it would seem a wash. Would larger amas, albeit adding more weight but keeping the boat more upright and spilling less air add much speed? Possibly.

Again, I haven't sailed one yet, but I will.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Maybe I'm mistaken - what was the old versus new sail total area on the older and newer AI?