Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2015 AI Capsize
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

As a new 2015 TI owner...

Matt, you are killing me with that photo... :)

Sorry, I could not resist. :D

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:02 pm 
Site Admin

Yeah... on a handle, but would be most effective on the forward crossbar.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:43 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Chekika wrote:
@Kal-P-Dal & ChangeMan--here is an image of Jim Czarnowski's AI 2 (2015 AI) at the beginning of the WaterTribe EC 6 weeks ago. Note that he has put in a tie on his front hatch bungee cords. In his case, he was not worried about a capsize, but simply keeping the water out.
You do have to be careful if you put straps across the front hatch cover (some people do), because you do not want to distort that cover. That opens a whole can of worms by corrupting the hatch seal.

Certainly don't wish to open any can of worms!
As I stated, the bunges stays and do what they do as before.
Straps should just prevent any possiblity for the hatch cover to move.
On the picture, the knots shortens the bungees and actually increase the down force on the hatch cover.
I have already reached the status 100% absolute water tight hatch cover by my own type of sealing.
I just want the hatch cover to be secured from any movement caused by gear shifting place underneath the hatch cover, due to big waves (or a capsize).
As long as the hatch cover don't move I know it will hold every drop of water in the sea (where the water should be!).

best regards
thomas

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Kal-P-Dal wrote:

Certainly don't wish to open any can of worms!
As I stated, the bunges stays and do what they do as before.
Straps should just prevent any possiblity for the hatch cover to move.
On the picture, the knots shortens the bungees and actually increase the down force on the hatch cover.
I have already reached the status 100% absolute water tight hatch cover by my own type of sealing.
I just want the hatch cover to be secured from any movement caused by gear shifting place underneath the hatch cover, due to big waves (or a capsize).
As long as the hatch cover don't move I know it will hold every drop of water in the sea (where the water should be!).

best regards
thomas

Thomas, if you take care to ensure that any heavy items you put in the forward hatch are underneath soft items (like tents, sleeping bags etc), these soft items should greatly limit any upward impact from the heavy items. Or, you could put such heavy items into drybags, and lash them to the rear cargo area, which will have the added advantage of lessening the bow burying in heavy waves.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:33 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

tonystott wrote:
Thomas, if you take care to ensure that any heavy items you put in the forward hatch are underneath soft items (like tents, sleeping bags etc), these soft items should greatly limit any upward impact from the heavy items. Or, you could put such heavy items into drybags, and lash them to the rear cargo area, which will have the added advantage of lessening the bow burying in heavy waves.

Hi Tony

Yes I know that. In my case the hull is pretty stuffed with gear (last trip was 18 days) so I have to plan thoroughly to get everything IN the hull. Can't allways get it all extacly WHERE it best should be. But still, even small, light things can move and get out of positions when you travel a couple of hours in rough sea. I just want to know that the hatch cover can't move. Bungees are flexible with the advantage of holding a constant pressure. But they are flexible.

best regards
thomas

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tony, my tent is not a "soft" item. It was the last thing in the hatch directly below the cover (I usually carry it on a haka where it may have been lost.) It is in a sturdy dry bag because I don't want the poles to get wet and ruined w/ saltwater. Consequently, bag/tent/poles probably weighed 7-8#. When the boat capsized, that bag would have been "thrown" up against the hatch cover, compromising the hatch seal with subsequent flooding of my hull. I think the capsize was a very powerful event in the direction of the capsize. The mast tip bounced off the bottom gouging up sand and mud. The tent bag would have been thrown forcefully against the hatch cover. That is what I think happened.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

tonystott wrote:
...my "re-entry loop".....
I read your description of this in another thread and I think I have the right picture in mind.

But before I go ahead and try to implement my own, could you post a photo of it?

(anybody want to buy a slightly-used AI SpinKit?)
eMail: [email protected]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Buckaroo wrote:
Does the risk and potential danger of an unexpected sudden capsize outweigh the potential damage...
My take on multi-hulls in general is that capsize and recovery from same should be something that I have down so pat that they just add to the interest of sailing that day.

i.e. There should be zero or close-to-zero "potential danger" from a capsize.

I am not there yet with my AI-2, but am working on it and expect to be there by the end of this season.

Quote:
How often do people actually run into things with the amas hard enough that it would cause damage ?
I don't think "How often" applies. .... If I can't afford to lose, I don't play the game. ..... Between the sail's see-through area having gone cloudy in less than 1 season and the sail being about 8" too low to clear my head and the many channel markers around here I have to assume I'm going to hit one of those markers at full speed eventually.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

fusioneng wrote:
...another cool safety feature that actually works. I tied a loose loop of spectra string around the rudder gudgeon, wrapped around the bottom of the rudder pin, then put one of Tony's pull ties thru the rudder pin hole. This way if the rudder pin does break the boat is still stearable (though very sloppy)
Could you post a pic of that?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:33 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Chekika wrote:
fusioneng wrote:
At risk of producing an arms race, how many spare sheer bolts and how many spare rudder pins do people carry? At the time of my "accident" I had 4 spare sheer bolts in my parts kit + 1 on each aka for a total of 6. I recently broke a rudder pin, which I did not replace in my parts box, yet, but I had 3 spare rudder pins at the time of my accident. I believe I have a couple more shear pins and rudder pins currently on order...they are cheap, why not?
I carry one spare rudder pin, a spare shear bolt on each aka brace, and a few (number varies because I break the things on a fairly regular basis) spare shear bolts in my tool bag.

But I also have a handful of round bamboo chopsticks in the port net storage area. .... Whenever we eat Chinese, I save the chopsticks. ..... They function adequately as shear-bolt replacements (they shear more easily than the bolts, but are strong enough) ..... and they have the ergonomic advantage of being easy to grab and quick/easy to insert by virtue of being long (easy to hold) and tapered. .... they also easily push out the remnant of the broken bolt that is often jammed in there.

Dunno how well they work as temporary rudder pins.... gotta give that a try....

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Chekika wrote:
I’ve heard via the grapevine that some people at Hobie think I hit something when I capsized my 2015 AI, e.g., maybe an oyster trap or whatever. I think that is a likely, even reasonable, reaction from Hobie. But, it was definitely not the case. .... No, the shear pin broke simply in rough seas. ......Finally, it is possible I had a bad shear pin.
My breaking two shear pins in one day would seem to support your position. .... Absolutely, positively, indubitably did not hit anything either time ..... And two in one day (on different sides) would seem to dispose of the faulty bolt explaination.

Not what I would call "Rough Seas" either.... just bay chop on a high-teens/low twenties (MPH) day. ..... Pointing upwind in both cases.

I think they just break when one is sailing fast enough and hits the right wave at the right time.

But I also think that with your Keeper Lines installed shear-pin breakage becomes trivial: I see the break, furl the sail, replace the bolt, re-deploy the sail and sail on....

Time will tell.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

PeteCress wrote:
Chekika wrote:
fusioneng wrote:
At risk of producing an arms race, how many spare sheer bolts and how many spare rudder pins do people carry? At the time of my "accident" I had 4 spare sheer bolts in my parts kit + 1 on each aka for a total of 6. I recently broke a rudder pin, which I did not replace in my parts box, yet, but I had 3 spare rudder pins at the time of my accident. I believe I have a couple more shear pins and rudder pins currently on order...they are cheap, why not?
I carry one spare rudder pin, a spare shear bolt on each aka brace, and a few (number varies because I break the things on a fairly regular basis) spare shear bolts in my tool bag.

But I also have a handful of round bamboo chopsticks in the port net storage area. .... Whenever we eat Chinese, I save the chopsticks. ..... They function adequately as shear-bolt replacements (they shear more easily than the bolts, but are strong enough) ..... and they have the ergonomic advantage of being easy to grab and quick/easy to insert by virtue of being long (easy to hold) and tapered. .... they also easily push out the remnant of the broken bolt that is often jammed in there.

Dunno how well they work as temporary rudder pins.... gotta give that a try....

Pete, they won't work well as temporary rudder pins as their diameter is too small. The slop will enable the rudder to randomly jam in the pintles.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 10:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Pete:
Now you get it....
We are all just tryin to help.
FE

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 3:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

So, had an interesting moment yesterday, almost capsized the TI. It was kind of a freak thing. Nothing broke to cause it, purely wind. I was out solo winds were a nice steady 10-15. I had full sail out and was hiking out on the tramps just to flatten the boat out. I was on a starboard tack, winds we're out of the SE. Went to tack and as I was moving from the starboard tramp into the main hull a 20+ gust hit me out of the South. With my weight shifting, the ama in the air, and the gust hitting me broadside it was almost catastrophic! Leeward ama completely buried, sail was almost in the water and I was left scrambling up the windward tramp. I quickly released the main sheet as I was scrambling up the tramp. Eventually, the gust abated, coupled with the leeward ama's floatation and my weight, the boat righted itself. Amazingly nothing broke. Needlessly to say I called it a day after that.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

TI-Tom:
That same thing has happened to me a whole bunch of times (almost capsize). That's one of the main reasons I widened my boat an additional 2 feet to prevent that from being a possibility. It's even worse when you have more sail area added to the boat (my jib is 33 sq ft). Sometime those gusts happen so fast you can't scramble out onto the tramp fast enough. Actually with my TI when that happens that AMA dives and the boat stops abruptly, you were lucky, pretty much everytime that has happened to me it always takes out the AKA sheer pin. I would think the water pressure from lets say 12 mph forward motion on that AMA underwater has to be tremendous.

As an experiment sometime just take your arm and jam it in the water while going 3 mph, then do exactly the same traveling say 12 mph, I suspect at 12 there is no way you can hold your hand against the water pressure (water is 1000 times more dense than air).
FE

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 118 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next