Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Please post your impressions of the difference between the two in kayak mode. There is very little info available on that.
BTW- I'm one who prefers the T-n-S rudder for kayak mode. Once it is locked down it works great and has been very reliable. I use the small sail and at speeds up to 12km/h or so it's fine.
It's big benefit is in transporting where it tucks out of the way nicely.
The newer rudder is better when trimaran sailing at speed but it is not as transport friendly.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

stringy wrote:
Please post your impressions of the difference between the two in kayak mode. There is very little info available on that.
What I would dream of is a series of tests behind a motor boat: sitting in an AI-1/AI-2 and a surfski (for comparison) holding a spring scale attached to a line connected to the back of the motorboat, watching a GPS, and taking notes on #pounds on the scale at speeds from 2 mph on up.

If nothing else, that would give an indication of hull speed once the pounds/speed graph started to look like a hockey stick.

Kayak review articles in (now-defunct) Kayaker mag used to cite computed values of effort vs speed, but I never knew how much they lined up with the real world.

Seems like the tow test on flat water with no wind would be the final word - almost as good as a tank test.

(anybody want to buy a slightly-used AI SpinKit?)
eMail: [email protected]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

PeteCress wrote:
stringy wrote:
The Revo 16 is the same hull as the Adventure and the AIv1.
It is not the same as the AIv2 hull which was redesigned with a fuller bow and other changes which add considerably to its hull weight. Reading posts of those who swapped from AIv1 to AIv2 it is not as versatile in kayak mode, being wider and heavier and with a higher seating position. It is a much better sailing boat.
Thanks for saving my from myself on that one. I was all ready to go out and buy an AI-2 once I confirmed that it had my leg length covered.

That is not to say that I'm not still drawn to the AI-2... but I need to "Feel" it before I go jumping in. Thought I had that covered with the Revo... but now I know...

There *is* a guy with a genuine AI-2 that comes to the lake where I paddle... so now I have to manage to be there at the same time he is and beg a ride....

Pete, I am having trouble understanding your seeming fixation on pedal speed in relation to buying an AI2. The difference in speed between a Revo 16, AI1 and AI2 is marginal reaslly, until you unfurl the sail! You will soon find that pedalling becomes an option most of the time, and that the distsnces you can cover will hugely exceed anything possible by just pedalling.

If you fit in a Revo, you will fit in an AI2, and you won't be dsappointed in any aspect of an AI2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

tonystott wrote:
Pete, I am having trouble understanding your seeming fixation on pedal speed in relation to buying an AI2. The difference in speed between a Revo 16, AI1 and AI2 is marginal reaslly, until you unfurl the sail! You will soon find that pedalling becomes an option most of the time, and that the distsnces you can cover will hugely exceed anything possible by just pedalling.

If you fit in a Revo, you will fit in an AI2, and you won't be dsappointed in any aspect of an AI2
  • You are being too tactful. It's not a seeming fixation, it's the real deal.
  • Some of it is just me: I tend to obsess before buying something. Witness this list.... -)
  • Some of it is experience. I blew the better part of two grand on a SUP board and paddle, only to discover that 3-4 mph and no glide simply didn't push any of my buttons. Other people I know love paddling their SUPs.... For me it was money down the drain. "Chug, Chug, Chug" doesn't cut it - I need the glide.
  • Pedaling might be a bigger deal for me than most because I do this stuff partially for exercise. Release .9 Beta of my little plan involved a 20-foot Hawaiian outrigger canoe that I paddled and sailed for two seasons. The fantasy was to sail upwind and paddle home. One fly in the ointment turned out to be a top paddling speed of about 2.5 mph.... (the others were sheer weight, and the inability to handle heavy air - well, at least, the inability for me to handle heavy air....)
  • One person's "marginal" speed diff may be another person's deal breaker. 4.5 mph vs 6.5 mph may sound trivial - but in a kayak I perceive it as a substantial diff and I would trust numbers more than anybody else's subjective judgement.
  • In tidal areas I would expect pedaling speed to be significant when trying to get home on a windless day.
  • Fit-wise, having had a lifetime of experience with a right-of-the-bell-curve body, I don't trust *anybody* until I try something on. It's not just height or leg length. The proportion of thigh to shin length makes a big diff. Even shoe size matters. The cruel and unusual things I've done to bicycles and surfskis to get a usable fit would make some people sick.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

After making the mod for a motor along with sailing. I find the pedal speed a non factor. Great backup system but rarely used, old mirage pedals are more than sufficient.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:22 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

PeteCress wrote:
tonystott wrote:

• You are being too tactful. It's not a seeming fixation, it's the real deal.
  • Some of it is just me: I tend to obsess before buying something. Witness this list.... -)
  • Some of it is experience. I blew the better part of two grand on a SUP board and paddle, only to discover that 3-4 mph and no glide simply didn't push any of my buttons. Other people I know love paddling their SUPs.... For me it was money down the drain. "Chug, Chug, Chug" doesn't cut it - I need the glide.
  • Pedaling might be a bigger deal for me than most because I do this stuff partially for exercise. Release .9 Beta of my little plan involved a 20-foot Hawaiian outrigger canoe that I paddled and sailed for two seasons. The fantasy was to sail upwind and paddle home. One fly in the ointment turned out to be a top paddling speed of about 2.5 mph.... (the others were sheer weight, and the inability to handle heavy air - well, at least, the inability for me to handle heavy air....)
  • One person's "marginal" speed diff may be another person's deal breaker. 4.5 mph vs 6.5 mph may sound trivial - but in a kayak I perceive it as a substantial diff and I would trust numbers more than anybody else's subjective judgement.
  • In tidal areas I would expect pedaling speed to be significant when trying to get home on a windless day.
  • Fit-wise, having had a lifetime of experience with a right-of-the-bell-curve body, I don't trust *anybody* until I try something on. It's not just height or leg length. The proportion of thigh to shin length makes a big diff. Even shoe size matters. The cruel and unusual things I've done to bicycles and surfskis to get a usable fit would make some people sick.

OK, I can do non tactful if you like!
Firstly there is no massive difference of 4.5 to 6.5mph between the Revo, AI1 and AI2. Please utterly ignore the Revo as being useless to you as if cannot go faster than you can pedal, unlike the AI (either flavour). You can of course improve the pedalling speed of an Island by partly divesting it of outriggers and mast, but in doing so, you remove a lot of the versatility of the vessel.

If you are generally in it for the exercise, the speed attainable is totally irrelevant, in fact it could be argued that a slower boat will give you more (longer) exercise. In any of the Islands, you can keep pedalling even if you are travelling quite fast under sail. In order to keep your heartrate in the zone, you will simply have to uprate your cadence.

Please be aware that the pedalling action of a Miragedrive is NOT the same as a bike etc, as it is a stepper action, rather than a fixed circle of rotary movement of your feet. This enables you to select a stroke length most suited to your anatomy, and regulate the power transmitted to the water (eg smaller length strokes at a higher cadence generate the same power as full strokes at a lower one). This is an absolute godsend for anybody who has limited knee flexibility or dare I say, is overly fussy in terms of "bike fit".

Looking forward to your observations when you have actually tried one on for size.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

My only reason for posting here, is everyone here is very interested in their Mirage drives and what they can be used for. By expanding our minds on the mirage drives true capabilities by thinking outside of the box. I'm hoping what I'm describing below will get some of you thinking on how to squeeze every ounce of energy out of this wonderful invention (Obviously I'm a huge human power/ mirage drive fan).
Sorry in advance for the neccessary long winded background below.

I always thought our TI was pretty hot stuff with it's mirage drives until we stayed at a cabin next to a family with a pair of Kamanu out rigger canoes, one was 22ft and the dual was 24 ft. We were all staying at Fiesta Key south of Islamarada for the week. Every day we both would go out and they would quicky dissapear off the horizon basically leaving us in the dust (pretty humbling). We talked quite a bit, and turns out they were pros, he had me lift his boat and I swear the whole works didn't weigh 30 lbs. I'm pretty sure either boat was way more expensive than our TI. Turns out there are completely different worlds of boats out there (who knew (lol)). I think all of Hobies kayaks and adventure boats fall into the recreational class of boats, good at a lot of different things but no match for a pro level surfski or world class outrigger canoe. Lets face it I will never be an athlete but I am a very clever fellow. I know my physical limitations, by using my mind (mind over brawn) using exactly the same boat I am able to amplify my human effort thru the use of the tri power capabilities of my TI (ie... Human power, wind power, and supplimental propulsion via hybrid gas or electric /solar power(once available)). Instead of using one power source at a time (traditional thinking) I utilize all three at the same time. With the setup I currently have I supply 20% to 30% of the required propulsion via human propulsion (ie.. Pedaling). Combining my human propulsion with supplimental hybrid propulsion this creates forward motion, with that forward motion I am able to amplify the apparent wind created with my wing sail (works similar to an air conditioner, that amplifies what is already there). What it boils down to is if I was just pedaling alone I could maintain 3mph. With my engines alone (no pedaling or sailing) with the engines running at just above idle the boat goes 5mph (in no wind) with the throttles locked. Now you have forward motion that can be amplified via the wing and sails. Result is by combining and utilizing all three propulsion sources you achieve off the scale efficiency even if there is little to no natural wind of any kind, and the actual wind direction has very little effect (you can easily sail almost directly into the wind). Result is the boat averages 8-10 mph in little to no wind, and even faster when there is some natural wind to work with. My average fuel economy is 80-100 mpg, in other words most weekend I end up using under a dollar in fuel (I can afford that). Once electric technology catches up I will of course replace the hybrid gas with electric/solar. I am no athlete and have nothing to prove to anyone but myself. By applying just a little mind over matter I am easily able to travel up to around a hundred miles a day now, all within my very limited physical abilities, pretty regardless of actual conditions (all within reason obviously with a very small craft).
I've been talking about this stuff for a long time now and am truly amazed that nobody is persuing similar trains of thought. Case in point Hobie and Torqeedo just completed a race to Catalina on a getaway with solar electric power (no sail), which is all cool and fine but they didn't think outside the box in my opinion. If given the same boat with one or two mirage drives retrofitted, and a big wing/ sail combo, and the same electric propulsion using combined tri power the same trip could have been accomplished at triple the speed using 1/3 of the battery energy they used. None of this is rocket science (my wing cost me about $150 bucks to make in a couple weekends of effort in my garage, definately not a multi million dollar jobbie like on the AC72's) and it furls up and stows no different from any other sail.
My only request is everyone think about what our mirage drives can really do, we are just scratching the surface of it's true capabilities and where we can take it (obviously I'm a huge mirage drive fan (lol). Think outside the box.
Bob

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:23 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I can do 4.5 mph with minimal effort and no wind with my 2015 TI solo. I'm a reasonably fit 51 year old, but no athlete. I find the effort involved in going significantly faster increases exponentially, though. I haven't tested a max solo speed yet (now I have a challenge), but I'd be surprised if I can go much faster than 6 by myself. Still thinking that I can easily do a slow jogging speed on the water lugging 500 lbs by just easy peddling- wow. The boat and mirage drive definitely exceeded my expectations.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:04 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I went thru the effort of rigging my second mirage drive thru a pully system so I could pedal both drives at the same time from the front seat, the idea sounded great at the time but the pedaling effort was too much for my physical ability. If I ever get a set of the new glide drives I will definately try it again.
Another thing that I want to try is to add two handles on 3ft paracord ropes that I can clip to the pedals and possibly use both my arms and my legs at the same time to propel the mirage drive, I think that idea has merit and next time out I'm definately going to try it.
I have tried peddling and paddling at the same time but the amount of energy expended doesn't buy me much, my thought of putting all of my energy into mirage propulsion may be superior.
Just thinking out loud.
Cool stuff.
Bob

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

fusioneng wrote:
Another thing that I want to try is to add two handles on 3ft paracord ropes that I can clip to the pedals and possibly use both my arms and my legs at the same time to propel the mirage drive, I think that idea has merit and next time out I'm definately going to try it.
I would take that one slow and easy - very slow and very easy.

Shoulder injury from low stress/high reps and all that....

You really, really don't want to ding a shoulder.

Don't ask......

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

tonystott wrote:
If you fit in a Revo, you will fit in an AI2, and you won't be disappointed in any aspect of an AI2
Well, I guess I am going to find out - because I just pulled the trigger on a 2015 AI in "Dune" (ahhhh, the PR value of euphony.... not Orange, "Tangerine", not Purple, "Lavender", not Grey, "Dune"...)

Delivery in 5-7 days - hopefully intact... -)

Drove about an hour the other day to a dealer who had an AI on the floor and confirmed that my legs fit - and then some. And I'm probably pretty far out on the bell curve: 44" hip-to-floor, long shins, size 15 feet.

My plan: rooftop it until I figure out whether-or-not vaka storage at my sailing site is practical and then buy a trailer if not.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:00 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I've tried pedaling and paddling together both in my Revo13 and my new TI and it is huge coordination challenge for me (akin to rubbing your stomach and patting your head at the same time).
Worst of all... I can't hold my beer AND paddle. Which explains why I like our Mirage drives so much... hands free for beers. ;-)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Talking about carrying beer. When I wanted to buy my TI my wife was waffling, and not very convinced. Then I showed her the cup holders on the right side, the cup holders are too small to fit anything except Michelobe Ultra skinny cans. My wife drinks Ultra, 'it was a marraige made in heaven', and a sign I told her.... she immediately let me buy the boat. I'm still convinced it was the cup holders that won her over. Or it could have been the whining, begging, and grobbling, and she was just over it.
But thats my story and I'm sticking to it (true story).
Bob

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:30 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

fusioneng wrote:
...too small to fit anything except Michelobe Ultra skinny cans. My wife drinks Ultra.

You need to come out here to Central Oregon, go sailing on Waldo Lake and we'll educate you and your lovely wife on what *real* beer is.

Waldo Lake, Diamond Peak, Cascade Mountains, Oregon
Waldo Lake is one of the largest natural lakes in Oregon (9.8 square miles with a maximum depth of 427 feet). Waldo is one of the purest lakes in the world. It has no permanent inlet to bring nutrients into the lake for plant growth. Like Crater Lake, Waldo Lake is ultraoligotrophic (having extremely clear water with very little organic material).The lack of plant life contributes to its purity. You can see to depths of 120 feet on a calm day.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

stringy wrote:
Initial impression: AI-2 is significantly slower.

This is pending my manipulating the Revo owner into A/B-ing my boat and his with a GPS onboard.

For now, I can say that I have followed the Revo on my surfski cruising at 6.3 - 6.5 mph and I've ridden his wake at 7.2 for about 100 yards.

In fact, the first day I spotted him from a half-mile-or-so away, I was pretty much wasted by the time I caught up with him.

OTOH with me pedaling, my AI-2 seems tb good for 4.8-5.3 mph sustained.......I can touch 6.1, but cannot hold it.

OTOOH the Revo guy looks strong and fit - and has a history of breaking Mirage Drives; while I'm older than dirt with notably-thin legs.

Stay tuned for The Real Deal as soon as I can get the Revo guy to A/B the two on a windless day.