Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:06 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I've had a couple of trips where the wind came up considerably while I was already out (though still not like in the video!) and while I found it quite - ah - exciting on the water the one part I dreaded was returning to the boat ramp. (I can still see that wind coming in my mind... Cruising along nice and smooth, look upwind - and see the line where the water turns very dark and rough headed for you! :lol: )

That's the one part of using my TI that I still don't have down "nice and easy" - it can be a SERIOUS pain in the butt to get back on the trailer and out of the water in a strong wind! (Especially since I almost never have the wind parallel to the ramp, always at an angle!) Either the TI is drifting into the dock, or it's trying to turn sideways, or...

Sometimes it's a LITERAL pain in the butt - for some ungodly reason, at the lake I frequent most, the city saw fit to surface the concrete boat ramps with a nice, smooth finish! Every year some algae grows on the ramps and where people have driven over it the result is a slick-as-snot ramp. One trip I slipped, didn't have anything to grab, went down on my butt and kept sliding until I was neck-deep in the water! :shock: Makes manhandling the TI onto the trailer even MORE fun!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ha! I had the same problem today with algae on the ramp. I was barefoot (sandals broke) and I slipped all the way down the ramp, the only thing that stopped me was the TI. Somehow I managed to stay upright. Then I had to deal with it while pulling the TI onto the trailer...by myself. I ended up wedging my foot in front of the trailer tire in order to get some leverage.

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:38 am 
Site Rank - Captain

recycle wrote:
I can't believe how fast an AI can move with such a small amount of sail unfurled.

Sure is mad and brilliant! On the other hand wind drift with sail completely furled (start of vid) was around 7kph already :o . But imagine what would have happened with half or even a full sail, I am getting goosebumps while writing this :wink: :lol:. It was one of my biggest fears, what happens if my furling line gets loose!

Great stuff I hope you make some vids with it soon, I am really surprised not more people here are using DAHSWARE, its so perfect for our videos!
Please let me know if/when you have a video or if you need any advise
Here is a nice free gauge that I used as a template to create mine...
http://sofakroken.net/dashware-gauges/

Good luck and fair winds!

Blog: http://www.irishrockpoolaquarium.com

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:26 am 
Site Rank - Captain

RandomJoe wrote:
and while I found it quite - ah - exciting on the water the one part I dreaded was returning to the boat ramp.

I was exactly the same when coming in on that trip, the wind was pushing hard almost 90degrees to the slip, to make it worse the tide has dropped further and not risen yet again as I had planned it. (can in much earlier than planned)

Couldn't use the fins as all the seaweed was surfacing, so while using the one blade paddle trying to get on the slip I was pushed faster sideways than forward against rocks it was the scariest moment. I was really getting worried at this stage. I ended up stranding on the rocks, getting of the AI and pulling it back along the rocks while walking it like a dog on a leash.

I was so happy when I finally got onto the slip where I almost immediately slipped on the slimy algae :lol: ah what joy, but I didnt mind as I was at least safely back on land.

A friend of mine has those boots that have thungsten pins on them, they have massive grip on whatever surface but I would say they would do some serious damage to the hull and stuff.

Maybe those strap-on spike soles for ice would do the trick for those slippy slips?

Blog: http://www.irishrockpoolaquarium.com