Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:25 am 
Site Rank - Captain

This video is taken in Queensland Australia last week weekend in around 20 to 25 knots of wind.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Is that a newer Adventure Island (2015) with the bigger sail ?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

It is the new Tandem Island and the Adventure Island infant with the bigger sail.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:25 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Quote:
Tandem island catches an Island

Let's see, a Tandem Island has about 40% more sail than the AI 2, and it is news when it catches up to the AI 2? Am I missing something here that makes this newsworthy? I did think it might have been more of a "race" if the AI 2 person knew there was a "race." Or, how about the relative performance when the boats are close hauled? How do the Tandem and AI 2 compare on a broad reach or downwind? Or, how do they compare when coming across the wind tacking from one direction to another? These are the things that inquiring minds want to know.

Of course, the race I would like to see is the Tandem vs AI 2 in a 50 yard haul up a beach with a 10 degree rise, no carts allowed.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Keith, you have both!! why are you waiting for results, get to work!!! :lol:

I would actually like to race someone with me solo in my TI so that I can compare front seat vs backseat. when comparing GPS speed I seem to consistently get .1mph faster in the front seat (which seems to go against the common thoughts on the forum, will keep testing until I'm convinced its not just changing conditions/trim causing the difference)

2018 AI2- Dune

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:32 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Chekika wrote:
Am I missing something here that makes this newsworthy?

Keith

No, but perhaps you are not conceding the awesomeness of the video. That TI came down like the wolf on the fold. Or was it like the Angel of Death spreading his wings on the blast? (Thanks Lord Byron and belated apologies to my despairing high school English teacher).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:46 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Lead Belly wrote:
Chekika wrote:
Am I missing something here that makes this newsworthy?

Keith

No, but perhaps you are not conceding the awesomeness of the video.

Yeah, you definitely have that right.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:57 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Your missing the whole point of the video. It's not about a TI being faster, I have both models, it's about the ridiculous sail we all had. It's a good bit of footage of 2 Islands having fun in some pretty strong winds showing you what you can do with them and how much fun you can have.

I goto say I don't post much here because when you do you get the usual people pulling everything apart to see how they can fault it.

Just watch, it's one of the best sails we have had as a club and of course the TI in these conditions is going to blast past an AI but to be honest those AI's are dam fast.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sorry, Spook. I was just put off by the title of the post. I, too, have both a tandem and an AI 2. I haven't sailed the tandem much, but the little I have, I much prefer the AI 2. Maybe I'll learn to love the Tandem, time will tell.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:17 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sailed solo, the TI with its larger sail and longer waterline length will be faster than the AI2. But drop a second person into the TI and the speeds become more similar.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Good points, Tom. Personally, I've always thought the Tandem should have had a longer & sturdier bow--more like the proportions of the AI 2.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Keith:
Thats the first thing a lot of us do preparing our boats for heavy offshore use is to re-enforce that weak bow with bracing. When pushing the boat really hard offshore in rough seas the whole dang boat flexes and twists about a foot or so (more so when loaded heavy (ie... Multiple passengers and gear). My boat has a pretty good hatch seal normally, but without the bow bracing I'll take in several gallons of water thru the front hatch in rough conditions. If you don't believe me, just look at the seal at the center of the hatch, there should be no gap between the hatch cover and the hull. Now lift the bow off the ground by the handle (you may need to simulate load (have someone sit in it)), there is now a 1/4" gap between the hull and the hatch cover where water rushes in. In my opinion one of the greatest risks on these boats is folding the bow in rough offshore conditions (think Titanic lol). Obviously in normal use, everything is plenty strong for the published 'D' boat rating, you only need to worry about those little issues when you take the boat out in conditions past it's rating ('C' conditions (offshore)).

Disclaimer: My TI is heavily modded out for offshore use in the keys, the stuff I'm talkin about shouldn't apply to most owners, but it's good to know.
All just my opinions and experience of course, every one else can do what they please at their own risk ( I would just hate to hear of someone drowning because they just didn't know (my only reason for posting here))
FE

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Just to clear up a few things. The whole purpose of this video was about fun and how far you can push them. The new Tandem in this video is 4 weeks old is always going to kick the arse of any Adventure Island downwind. But upwind, the Adventure is the most well balanced of the 2 and goes like a rocket.

So please look at the this video with a smile on your face and realise that over here in Queensland we push these little boats way beyond their limits and have great fun doing it. :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It is certainly an entertaining video. Well done.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Spook,

My concentration span with sailing videos is normally around 20 seconds but your video held me enthralled for 85 seconds because it was such a spectacular display of heavy weather sailing and had a bit of a story about reeling in another boat that we also know to be extraordinarily seaworthy. IMO, a very good video and well worth sharing. Thanks.

The inquiring mind will note that smoked AI is not to everyone's taste and so care needs to be taken when dishing it out.