Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: open ocean sailing
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:57 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

ren- as someone who has a 38foot sailboat on lake michigan i have seen the weather change way to quickly to think about the trip you are talking about on the adventure island- it could do it with out a problem, but you are risking it on a lake which can get real scary real fast and would you really want to be out in 10' lake chop in a storm? I sail my adventure islands in maui in 6 to 8 foot seas both upwind and downwind and they preform very well. They are the best engineered kayaks i have ever seen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

On friday I took the AI out in some nice seas in Lake Michigan. Wind was 15 knots and waves were 6-8 outside the breakers. It was my first time on Lake Michigan with the AI. I figured if it was too rough, I could just stay inside Monroe Harbor.

I sailed to the playpen and back, all inside the breakers. But when I got back to the mouth of Monroe, I decided I would take a run out to the crib and back which is about 4 miles. I figured if it got too rough I would just turn back.

It was a breeze. Just up and down the waves, all was stable. Occasionally a wave would break sideways over me, so it was a wet ride, but all in all really stable. I would sail across the lake in a heartbeat, but first I would have to come up with a plan to deal with a broken rudder.