Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 80  Next
PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice one Bob. Looking forward to seeing the GroPro productions from you fellas.

Don't forget, there is an alternative to YouTube in Vimeo and we have a Hobie Video Group set up so that we can file all our videos in the one spot. https://vimeo.com/groups/193689

P.S. Happy 45th Anniversary Keith. You're 15 years ahead of me. :P

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:51 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Chekika wrote:
@Ozjoel--Joel, glad this thread has given you some inspiration and motivation. Let us all know when you get your Island. I take from your Hobie name that you are an Aussie--correct? (Or, do you live near Disney World here in FL where they film "Oz, The Great and Powerful"?)

@Fusioneng--Bob, you can post your "crappy" videos on this thread any time. Look forward to them.

Keith

yeah mate live in australia!
a very lucky spot to be, although your backyard looks like a marvelous spot to be!
have been google earthing chokoloskee, small population, cheap houses! low cost of living!!!! im thinking of jumping the border!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:53 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great first GoPro video there Bob. That wing jib is amazing! 8)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Look Ma, no hakas

Since Fusioneng put a GoPro video up so quickly, I felt obligated to follow suit. Here is my first GoPro video—not a polished production like Slaughter, et al, just a day out when I was testing my mini spray skirts—miniskirts for short. Winds were about 18 mph, gusting to 23. There was 2-3’ chop. I was manually holding the GoPro camera at mid-chest level, and you can see, although there are many serious splashes, only a few drops reach the camera (& me). More about that below. The location was Biscayne Bay near Miami.

I was also wearing my new Kokatat Hydrus 3L Tempest Paddling Pants. http://www.rei.com/product/849522/kokatat-hydrus-3l-tempest-paddling-pants-mens These pants have integrated socks which are a boon to keeping your feet dry & warm. I put a pair of ordinary socks over the pants socks to protect them—they are subject to abrasion if not protected from rough edges and seams in your booties or water shoes. So far, those pants have worked great. I also was wearing an old Kokatat paddling jacket with a t-shirt underneath.

I apologize for the video being 8 min of the same thing—sailing through 2-3’ chop at about 6-7 mph. It was a sunny day and the water looks beautiful. There are some pretty good splashes. Despite the temperature of about 78 deg F, I was cold after 3 hours on the water. I wore only light shorts under those Kokatat pants. I did not deploy my hakas because I wanted a good view of the splashes. In the 4th edit of this post, I changed the video to include music by a friend of mine (Christof) in Taos Ski Valley, NM. There are now 2 audio tracks (1) the natural GoPro audio--pretty low volume typical of GoPro in its waterproof box, and (2) that by Christof. Christof is pretty cool. Don't turn up the volume too loud, but loud enough that you can pick up the GoPro audio (hard to do for some of us.) There is a peculiar "clicking" sound on the natural GoPro audio. You can hear it at numerous places throughout the video starting at 0:27 and 1:34 min. There are a cluster of clicks at 7:38 min, near the end of the video. These "clicks" are due to drops of water (splashes, if you wish) hitting the GoPro waterproof housing of the camera. You can literally count the number of drops hitting the housing in this 8-min video.

Overall, I thought the miniskirts worked very well. The video:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVKnd-r3P7E[/youtube]

If you can't see that video, go directly to YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVKnd-r3P7E

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

Last edited by Chekika on Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:51 pm, edited 6 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Looks great Keith! Sailing in conditions like that never gets old!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You've got the bug now Keith. Bet you couldn't wait to download and see what footage you had caught. My very first video was almost identical and I still enjoy watching it.
Looking forward to seeing more. Perfect conditions. Those miniskirts really do the job.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks, Tony & Slaughter. You know your comments are deeply appreciated. You probably have not looked at the post & video again, but I added some music. My first video with music. Also, I've realized what the "clicking" sounds on the video GoPro audio track are. They are due to drops of water, spray, hitting the GoPro waterproof housing. You can literally count the number of drops hitting the housing during the 8-min video.

Slaughter, you are correct: I've got the bug.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Welcome to the gopro addicts club. :lol:

Wats with the bird??

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

From what I could tell, great first clip there Keith and nice choice of music.
Now you need to advance to editing. At 8 minutes that clip is just too long for me to watch in full as I have limited internet access and a low monthly data allowance. I try to limit my clips to around 3 minutes. Saves on data and at popsong length, those with a short attention span can watch without too much complaint! :wink:
Unless, of course you are a brilliant story teller like Slaughter, who can get away with longer clips thanks to his natural yarn spinning ability! :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You are absolutely right, Stringy. They don't call them "shorts" for nothing. That video was really a test of my miniskirts and my bow-post mounting, and that was my excuse for having it 8 min. There were very few drops reaching the GoPro camera which I was holding mid-chest. Still, as I try to emulate Slaughter, you, and others, I will try to have my audience, rather than me, in mind.

NOHUHU--that "bird" was the GoPro in burst mode--30 shots in 1 second. I used the first 6 to make those pictures. You know, video is the "new" language. Listening to Celine Dion's "The French Album" dozens & dozens of times did not help my French, but I'm thinking doing GoPro may help my "video."

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Totally agree that 3:00 minutes is an ideal video time for what we are doing, which is generally a song length anyway.

I should probably condense mine ( less prattle, cut out the BS ) and split some of my 2 day expeditions into 2 videos, Day 1 and Day 2. Like Dogs Life does.......and study more docos from the experts. There is only 2 days left on this doco before it gets pulled. Although it's got nothing to do with Hobies, I've learnt so much from this as far as camera angles, editing, the mood of music to suit the clip etc. Hope you get to see it before it gets removed by the ABC. ( bet you can't turn it off within the first 2 minutes ) Let us know what you think. http://www.abc.net.au/iview/?WT.svl=abc ... w/79320820

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Chekika, get yourself a "chesty" gopro body mount. Does a brilliant job of capturing your POV without all the spastic head turns you see in helmet videos.

Totally hands free. It will capture all the good stuff and you'll soon forget you are wearing it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It is a long story, NOHUHU, but I have a chest mount. Currently, it is in northern New Mexico. My wife is headed out there as we speak, huh, write. She is going to send it back.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Cool. The chesty has a nice tilt function that the headband does not.

Gotta watch it though. Last trip on the TI3, I shot my crotch for 20 minutes. :roll: Stay tuned…

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I think that head band or helmet mount would be good for people like skiers--they have to keep looking forward and not swiveling their head around. But, for sailors, who are looking all over the place, a head mount would be pretty distracting. The place a head mount might come in handy for us is fighting a fish. Again, the operator is pretty focused on the fish and a head mount might work fine. I think I also have a head mount in NM. Its a long story, these GoPro things in NM.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27 ... 80  Next