Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 ... 80  Next
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:43 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Keith, the scupper cart would fit fully assembled upside down (for storage) in the scupper holes right in front of the aka brace. Don't know about your model year, but my 2014 AI, which has the reinforced lining in the scupper holes, requires a little finesse to get the scupper cart fully inserted into the scupper holes because of the aka brace being slightly in the way. I leave the heavy duty cart fully assembled at all times, it is completely out of the way and doesn't take up any good storage space, in fact it works good as an extra backrest while seated. I'm sure it would be sufficient for pulling up that shore, looks like the sand is partially packed and I'm sure you will have taken some of the load off the kayak before hand. Although I pull mine up the shore before taking anything off the AI, including the Honda 2.3!
For inserting on the water, because the cart wheels float, it takes a bit of practice and manhandling to insert the heavy duty cart into the scupper holes from below the kayak, while on top of the AI. I find I have to use two hands for grasping the cart and lay out reaching under the kayak with the scupper cart in order to insert the cart without jumping into the water. This way in heavy surf near the shoreline I can quickly jump out of the kayak and pull the AI to safety from the surf.

Mark

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mark, here is a picture a WaterTribe friend took of Nancy and me when we came into Flamingo after a 5.5 hr sail from our weekend camp trip. I'm hauling a haka w/ gear to shore, but you can see that the stern storage has 2 large bags. I certainly like the idea of "jumping out of the AI and pulling it to safety," but I'm not sure I could get it to that point loaded for camping. I have a 2011 AI, regular scupper holes. As I say, I may need to simply get a cart and give it a try. Regarding the firmness of the sand, it is pretty packed until you get up to where it is not pounded by waves. On top, above the firm sand, it is frequently like loose sand in a sand box. BTW, in this picture, a very heavy mat of sea grass has been pushed in by the tide--it is normally not this bad when we launch/land at the Flamingo Marina.

I greatly appreciate your suggestions.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Those bags would be fine Keith. Because the scupper cart would be in front of the aka brace between your seat and the aka brace, wheels would ride on top of the aka brace. Yes, you'll need to try inserting one to see. See my video here for short glimpses of the kayak cart resting upside down on my AI out of the way and I have a motor support to navigate also, for you much easier, just depends on where those scupper holes are on your model in relation to the positioning of the aka brace.
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=53380

Mark

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey, Mark, that is a hellava video. I worried the whole time you had that fish on that you might fall overboard. I didn't see one, but if you are going to climb all over your boat, cooler, etc, hang your legs out over the akas, stand up to fight a fish, you need to be tethered to your boat. I'm not going to spoil it for other viewers who might wonder if you made it back.

I did see your thin tire cart stored behind your seat. Nice.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:22 pm 
Site Admin

I don't get into this forum topic much, but may have something to offer? Years ago we had a 21 footer that was 600ish pounds empty. Getting it up and down the beach was going to be a real problem. I built portable "beach track slides" that were like a rope ladder of PVC pipes. I attached the rungs to a strip of trampoline material. The idea was to place the material on the underside, so the rungs didn't sink in the sand. These things work great. You might have to use a block and tackle or line to a tree or anchor, but the hulls would slip up or down really easily. Do it Egyptian style and you could move quite a distance. Use polyethylene pipe for even more slip!

Quote:
Imagine a rope ladder... rungs are pvc or polyethylene pipes... "rope" part is a sheet of vinyl tramp material with grommets at "step" locations... rope thru pipes holds them at the step locations. Tramp material lays on the sand to keep the pipes above the sand. Otherwise they sink. If on hard ground... a simple rope ladder would work.

There is a scene in the 21SC promo video that shows it @ 2:29

H21SC FAQ: http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=12782

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes, Keith, it was a calm day for swell near low tide. Not always the case here in Costa Rica. Wasn't too worried about falling in as much as getting a proper position for the camera. As you could see I already had a Dorado in the Coleman Cooler, tail sticking out, the same cooler you used to carry about as I got the idea from one of your older posts. Love it. The last fish caught was a Trevally (Jack), not any good to eat but a heck of a fighter.
On another note, I just purchased a used 2014 TI for a little over half the cost of getting a new 2015 here to CR. Will be fun to take folks out fishing. Couldn't pass up the deal.
Going out tomorrow all day, going to go out 18 miles to a special fishing ground for Marlin/Sailfish/Wahoo/Tuna & Dorado. Going to be an all day'er. Hopefully I get some good shots for the camera.
Mark

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That is a terrific idea, Matt. I'm definitely going to look into that option. The floor mats we used last weekend were fair, but a runner w/ pvc pipe attached could be a winner. Egyptian style? What is that?

Mark--If you are going out that far, you do need to tether yourself to your boat. Remember the saying (mine): accidents happen when you least expect them, and they happen fast. Be careful. Yeah, that cooler is great to use with an AI--I'm not sure where you will put it on a Tandem unless you are going solo--then you could put it in the front cockpit, I guess.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I hear you on the moving of the TI out of the surf, Keith. When we make our trips to the 10k islands, we have to either tie up the kayak in the water at the low tide mark (and wade out to it), or take everything out of it, remove the amas, akas, and sail, and then it takes both of us to lift the hull to high ground. Otherwise, the TI sits somewhere tied up between high and low tide and the hull gets beat up in the surf on the shells.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:39 am 
Site Admin

Chekika wrote:
Egyptian style? What is that?

How they built the pyramids... moving heavy stones. Rolled on timber... ones out the back are moved to the front and they keep going.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mmiller wrote:
Chekika wrote:
Egyptian style? What is that?

How they built the pyramids... moving heavy stones. Rolled on timber... ones out the back are moved to the front and they keep going.

That's great, Matt. Terrific! I have a few people in mind to handle the front of that line. Can't wait to try it!

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm already thinking of what we will call this rolling device for hauling our AI/TIs above the high tide line. I haven't made it yet, but it will look like that in Matt's picture:

Some possible names:

"Hobie Roller" No, too close to "Holy Roller." One might even begin to think of "Whirling Dervishes."

"Pyramid Roller" No. We are not building pyramids, even though it seems like we are climbing them occasionally.

"Egyptian Roller" That sounds pretty good and is pretty descriptive. Kind of a high tech version of the Egyptian-style roller technology.

"Roller Coaster" wouldn't be too bad. Implies you are just coasting along, easy like. It has occurred to me that if you stop half way up the beach to take a breather, the whole thing will slide back to the water (even launch itself!) unless you hang on to it.

Other naming suggestions will be appreciated.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Keith,
Do a search at Lowe's or Home Depot for "Rope Ratchet". It is a ratcheting pulley, not too big, that will help get the boat up on the beach without letting it slip back down. The 3/8" version has a working strength of 250 lbs. I have had a couple of them for years and they work great, easy to use, and pretty tough.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

stringy wrote:
Slaughter wrote:
P.S. Down this way we also share bear stories. Those koalas can give you a real nip.

...as can their close relative the carnivorous Drop Bear (thylarctos plummetus)

Stringy, the deathly silence regarding "drop bears" suggests that many readers are unaware that there is no such thing! For some strange reason, some years back, some Aussie decided that Australia didn't already have enough deadly animals, and invented "drop bears". This is such an old invention, that one beer company even featured them in a TV advert, where some young guys convinced some young babes that it would be best if they set up their tents close to the guys "to protect them from the drop bears"

The harsh truth is that koalas are not even bears, they ARE cuddly, but they hang on tight, and sometimes their sharp (tree-climbing) claws can hurt a bit. Most of the time koalas are high on the eucalyptus leaves they live on. Those fangs are cleverly photoshopped.

So don't worry folks, Australia is a very safe place, as we only have 6 of the top 10 venomous snakes in the world, funnelweb and redback spiders, giant crocodiles, blue-ringed octopi, stone fish, great white and bull sharks and man-o-war jellyfish, so you can come on down with nothing to fear at all! :D :D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 7:12 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

:shock: Australia has always sounded to me like a great place to go to die a painful death ! :D

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 8:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Actually I suspect the glades and northern Canada and Alaska are probably more dangerous. I've seen both Australian crocs and Nile crocks, wouldn't want to be in the water on a yak near either. I've heard that grizzlies are very defensive and have no issues swimming out to meet and greet kayakers ( I grew up in Canada). In the glades I've seen 20 ft pythons I suspect us kayakers are a tasty treat pretty much everywhere.
Bob

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 ... 80  Next