Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54 ... 80  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 2:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Chekika wrote:
Because of this thread length, I have made a Table of Contents. This Table is on P. 22, http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=7276&start=315

Modifications to my 2015 AI

Construction of my keep-out lines was discussed on http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=7276&start=720 Scroll down until you come to “Keep-out lines for my AI 2” Following their construction, I tested them on 2 different occasions. The test was simply to release the aka brace while underway and see if the aka/amas stay out. I did tests of 4, about 6, and about 8 mph. A discussion of these tests can be seen on p49 and p50 of this thread. The tests all worked, i.e., the keep-out lines kept the aka/ama out after the aka brace was released. My hope is that if I ever have another shear pin break in strong winds, I will not capsize.

My “expedition spray skirts” are discussed on http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=7276&start=285 The post is titled “DIY Expedition Spray Skirts.”

The rest of my mods are shown in the next figure. There are a lot of them—some small, some very significant. I’ve added a righting line (1) to aid in righting the boat in case of capsize, and it should also aid in climbing back into the boat. That righting line is attached to the crossbar anchors. There is a second line on the starboard side. It is 750# parachute cord. (Amazon, http://www.amazon.com/TOUGH-GRID-750lb-Black-Paracord-Parachute/dp/B00CLI8R1I/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1435840677&sr=8-3&keywords=parachute+cord) The righting lines are stored on the open cleats (2), again on both sides of the hull.

I’ve also added a couple Harken cleats (6) to quickly cleat and release Kayaking Bob’s “Poor Man’s Barber Hauler.” Read about it here http://www.kayakfishingstuff.com/community/showthread.php?t=45483

Absolutely one of my favorite mods was to move the main sheet Harken cam cleat (5) from its location on the right side of the Xbar back along the coaming towards me. When the cleat is mounted on the Xbar, it is hard to release in strong winds—just the time you might want to release it quickly. I re-mounted that cleat on 1.5” block located about 13” from the Xbar. The block is made from ½” cutting board (Amazon, http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0032AM0BC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00)

Bolts (4 of them) are through the coaming and fastened on the inside with a SS washer and nylon lock nuts. Note that the cleat is angled towards me. It makes it very easy to release the main sheet, even in strong winds. I love it.

Here I’ve added Kayaking Bob’s keeper lines (3) for holding the akas in case of premature release. The plastic protector (9) for the Xbar is where I lay my Mirage Drive when not in use. Next, I’ve added a padeye (4) for holding the clew block and hook. There is a 2nd padeye on the opposite side of the cockpit. It holds the tether for the Mirage Drive.

This view from the stern also shows KB’s rear keeper lines, screw-in padeyes, the Vantage seat tether, and the Vantage seat kickstand modified to be deployed permanently. This latter mod is discussed here http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=7276&start=720 Scroll down to near the bottom of the page to “Modification of the Vantage CT seat kickstand default position.” The padeyes, which replace the original open cleats, afford more secure fastening of gear in the rear storage.

This is the bottom side of the seat showing the kickstand in its new default, deployed position.

In summary, most of these mods are safety oriented—keep-out lines, keeper lines, tether to seat and Mirage Drive, and righting lines. The new location of the main sheet block is a great help and may aid in avoiding capsize. The spray skirts keep the ride dryer. The new default position for the Vantage seat kickstand is a great convenience and more comfortable. I’m working on a new set of hakas to fit my AI 2, and I intend to add some “grab lines,” especially around the bow for a person in the water to grab if necessary.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

Last edited by Chekika on Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2015 8:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Great mods and well documented Keith. 8)
I can't see any added handles. You must be getting by OK without them?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks, Stringy. I did forget about the unfortunate, missing handles. That is partly because I've not been able to get out sailing and am not tipping the boat up regularly to clean it. The real estate along the coaming is scarce, so it will be tough to fit a set of handles along there, where I originally planned to put them. I have thought about simply getting a set of AI/TI handles and mount them on the side.

EDIT: Regarding handles to replace the missing handles on the AI 2, I've now decided to add a couple "Hobie kayak toggle handle" (https://www.austinkayak.com/products/495/Hobie-Kayak-Toggle-Handle.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shopping:%20ACK%20PLA&scid=scplp285459&gclid=CjwKEAjw5pKtBRCqpfPK5qXatWYSJABi5kTxRH52XNF3PpwVuSCX0YUL_wetUbcSBdMjKFYXo6czrRoCy4Lw_wcB) These are the same handles that are standard equipment on the bow/stern of Hobie kayaks. Putting a pair midway along the coaming will alleviate the problem of missing handles without taking up significant space.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

Last edited by Chekika on Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 6:43 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've skimmed the thread once already and maybe I've missed it - but I do not recall any actual-experience reports on deep-water re-mounting an AI-2.

i.e. I heave to, go for a swim, and now I need to get back onboard.

Aids?

Techniques?

Difficulty relative to AI-1?

(anybody want to buy a slightly-used AI SpinKit?)
eMail: [email protected]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The good news is the AI-2 is probably as easy to get back on board as the TI now it has the bigger AMA's. We go snorleling and diving with our TI all the time, so many days we are out of the boat more than in it (lol). The new AI now has much stronger double bungys, and you can easily climb on board over the AMA's, then onto the tramp. With our TI we added short lengths of 700 lb test spectra string to the bungys so the AMA's only drop down an inch or two then stop. Once you do this you can sit on the AMA's all you want to leave and re-enter the boat.
We also have a three ring rope latter, but never use it.
Hope this helps
Bob

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

PeteCress wrote:
I've skimmed the thread once already and maybe I've missed it - but I do not recall any actual-experience reports on deep-water re-mounting an AI-2.

i.e. I heave to, go for a swim, and now I need to get back onboard.

Aids?

Techniques?

Difficulty relative to AI-1?

Bob, is correct that the AI 2 is more like the tandem than the AI when it comes to re-entering after a swim. The AI sits much lower in the water. I never went into deep water off my AI, but I always felt you could climb back on via the stern if necessary, much like a sea kayaker might re-enter their kayak from deep water. Climbing up onto the AI 2 is a much more daunting task.

Bob does make an assumption in his comments: everyone is using tramps. After my recent capsize and after I had my AI 2 righted, I used much the same technique that Bob describes. I got up on the ama and then leveraged myself over onto my haka (built for the AI.) From the haka to the cockpit is easy.

If a person is in the water and does not have either tramps or hakas, getting back into an AI 2 will vary from easy (assuming you are young and athletic) to extremely difficult (assuming you are older and perhaps out of shape. Being overweight will just make it more difficult.) Roger Mann, in his recent "Race to Alaska" adventure, said he was washed off his AI 2 by a large wave. Fortunately, he was tethered to his boat, and he said that he simply climbed back on. No more info than that at this time. He did have hakas.

With my mods above, I have a righting line which might serve as a step to get back on your boat. To replace the missing handles on the AI 2 (and 2015 TI), I'm simply going to add a Hobie toggle handle amidships, one on both sides of the cockpit--currently, I'm out in the southern Rockies at 9500', so these are just my ideas. A toggle handle for a mid-ship handle would not take up any space and could be accessed from either side of the hull by an adult who was standing on the righting line. I think you could use the toggle handle to pull yourself into the cockpit. Just my long-distance thoughts.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:24 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

fusioneng wrote:
The good news is the AI-2 is probably as easy to get back on board as the TI now it has the bigger AMA's. We go snorleling and diving with our TI all the time, so many days we are out of the boat more than in it (lol). The new AI now has much stronger double bungys, and you can easily climb on board over the AMA's, then onto the tramp. With our TI we added short lengths of 700 lb test spectra string to the bungys so the AMA's only drop down an inch or two then stop. Once you do this you can sit on the AMA's all you want to leave and re-enter the boat.
We also have a three ring rope latter, but never use it.
Hope this helps
Bob

Bob, your idea of adding spectra lines to the AMA bungees sounds great. I'm guessing you unscrewed the bungee anchors. How did you secure the spectra?

A related question: my new AI2 lives on a trailer, so there's no reason to remove the amas. I think... If I leave the bungee connected, do I risk stretch? Those bungees need to be tight.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I just removed the plastic cap on one side with needle nose pliers, made a cinch knot on the spectra and wrapped it aroung the knot in the bungy then screwed the cap back on, I tugged on the spectra real hard to make sure it didn't pull thru, then tied another cinch knot at the other end of the spectra and slipped it over the top hat cleat, when pulled downward the AMA drops maybe an inch or two then stops (you can actually stand on the AMA if you like with this simple fix (the grey spectra rudder line from Hobie I believe to be around 700 lbs test). We literally dive off of our AMA's.
Once on the trailer we always release all the stress on all the bungys on the boat, including the hatch cover and the cargo area in the back, we also make certain the bungys are not left in the sun ever for more than a few hours. You can of course leave the little spectra thingies on all the time (you can't hurt Spectra). If we park the boat in the sun for any length of time I try to cover it or keep it in the shade. the sun will kill your TI quickly (especially in Key West as we found out the hardway parking ours in our driveway for weeks on end). Especially the mainsail which is Dacron and can't take sunlight at all, and should always be kept in the sailbag (FYI).
Hope this helps
Bob

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

fusioneng wrote:
...Once on the trailer we always release all the stress on all the bungys on the boat, including the hatch cover and the cargo area in the back, we also make certain the bungys are not left in the sun ever for more than a few hours. You can of course leave the little spectra thingies on all the time (you can't hurt Spectra). If we park the boat in the sun for any length of time I try to cover it or keep it in the shade. the sun will kill your TI quickly (especially in Key West as we found out the hardway parking ours in our driveway for weeks on end). Especially the mainsail which is Dacron and can't take sunlight at all, and should always be kept in the sailbag (FYI).
Hope this helps
Bob

Sun generally destroys any plastic. It is just a matter of time. The ama bungees should definitely be released if your AI/TI is on a trailer for more than an hour.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Opportunities in the Arid, High-altitude Western US

At the risk of extreme derision, this post contains nothing regarding Hobie AI/TI boats. Well, I guess I could say that I am looking to purchase a late model TI at a reasonable price, if anyone is aware of a deal. There are some wonderful places to sail out here in the west, like Yellowstone Lake and Jackson Lake, both in WY. Further north in MT, there is Flathead Lake, Hungry Horse Reservoir, and Lake McDonald in Glacier National Park. The trout fishing in those lakes is good. Down south there is Lake Powell with unlimited sailing and camping mostly in Utah and Lake Havasu in AZ. Platoro Reservoir, the highest reservoir in the US at 10,000 ft, would be neat to sail—it is in southern CO. There many, many more beautiful lakes and locations in the west. I just need to pick up a Tandem Island.

This post is about a recent camping trip Nancy & I did just outside the southern Rockies near Taos, New Mexico. We spent a couple days in the Rio Grande del Norte National Monument, about 40 mi north of Taos and 25 mi south of the Colorado border. This is one of our newer national monuments. Here is a GE view. The Rio Grande River cuts through the Taos Plateau volcanic field. Ute Mountain, near the CO border, is the tallest of the extinct volcanoes at 10093 ft (3076 m). To the east of the river is the Sangre de Cristo Mountain range (southern Rockies). The highest peak in NM (Wheeler Peak, 13161 ft, 4011 m) is in this range.

The Monument management has provided numerous excellent campsites, most along the edge of the Rio Grande Gorge. The elevation is about 7600 ft or 2316 m. The bottom of the Gorge is about 6700 ft.

Most campsites have a shelter and table. Nancy is working on dinner.

After dinner, we were treated to a beautiful sunset. Montoso Mountain is on the left, Cerro del Aire in center, Cerro de la Olla on right—all extinct volcanoes.

A little later in the evening.

We had a pleasant night with the temperature dropping down into the upper 40s (Fahrenheit). Sunrise making its way into the Gorge.

Zooming in with my camera shows the Rio Grande. The river is a whitewater Class V and V+ through this stretch. This particular rapid is named Arsenic Springs Jr Rapid, Class V, with a serious technical boulder field.

Close up:

A Class V rapid is defined as “…large waves, continuous rapids, large rocks and hazards, maybe a large drop, precise maneuvering. Often characterized by "must make" moves, i.e. failure to execute a specific maneuver at a specific point may result in serious injury or death….” https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitewater We never kayaked anything like a class V rapid, but we did kayak the calmer parts of the Rio Grande for about 15 yrs—a beautiful place and great fun. Anyone who has done whitewater kayaking can’t help but look at that Arsenic Springs Jr rapid and look for a route through it. Great armchair kayaking.

Here are a couple pictures of Nancy on the Chama River near Chama, NM, about 10 years ago. The Chama River is a Class II to Class III river, and this 25-mile stretch is designated a "Wild and Scenic River." While the river has become a popular destination, we saw no one during our 3-day camping trip. Nancy is running the Class II Aragon Rapid. An excellent description of this river can be found here, http://southwestpaddler.com/docs/riograndenm14.html

If you are traveling in northern New Mexico, I highly recommend a stop in the Rio Grande del Norte National Monument. It is rarely crowded.

Keith

PS: And, if you hear of a good deal on a late model Tandem, let me know.

"Less is more" Anon

Last edited by Chekika on Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Keith:
As you know (we have talked about this before), my wife and I are mostly tandem kayak fans, we just find it easier for us to setup and rig just one boat vs two complete boats, the added benefit of especially the TI is it normally only requires only one person to propel the boat pedaling, so we can work in shifts taking turns pedaling giving each other a break, (plus we enjoy each others company, which helps on a 'divorce boat' (lol, "thats what they call tandem kayaks")). I think we all agree in sailing mode with AMA's and sails both the AI and TI are pretty equal capability wise. We selected our TI initially I think mainly because we have a lot of family, friends, kids and grand kids that come down to visit and always want to go out (our favorite pastime is snorkeling and diving (especially in the keys). And our TI in calm and flat water affords us the ability to take out 3-4 people (more with kids) all with the same boat that's super simple and fast to rig, and it costs us nothing (almost zero ongoing costs) because we can store it in our garage ( nearly all subdivisions here don't allow trailers in the yards). Verses our former solution which was a $70k Sea Ray which costs $400/mo for dry storage plus filling up that 80 gallon fuel tank with marine fuel was painful. Anymore we consider our TI as our family boat, and use it as such for pretty much everything we used to use the Sea Ray for.

Thats just what we do and it suits our lifestyle really well. Obviously we are not multi day excursion camping people (I'm a Hilton guy (lol)), so that aspect doesn't come into play for us (plus being Canadian as you know I'm deathly afraid of gators and mosquitos (lol, a fobia of mine).
Enough about background.
As long time kayak and canoe people as well (pretty much only tandem kayakers to be specific) we were pleasantly suprised just how good our TI is as just a tandem kayak (not even mentioned in any of Hobies literature, or advertised as such (just FYI to everyone)).

I just thought I would mention as a kayaker how happy we are with our TI kayak (outside of all the sailing and offshore crap), as I strongly suspect most owners don't realize this little known feature of the TI. The darn thing is the finest kayak we have ever owned, it glides thru the water with little effort, is blazing fast (I suspect because of it's great length) with just one peddler, and tracks better than any kayak (without pedals and rudder) when paddling in shallow rivers way better than anything we have ever owned. It's very stable and has more than ample storage and load capacity (way more than our old Oasis ever dreamed of. We have always felt it is easier for us anyway to negotiate mild rapids (class 2 only for us) in tandem yaks vs singles (working together). Even though the TI is slightly larger than our Oasis was, the TI kayak just in our opinion seems to be much more stable and managable than our old Oasis was (I suspect because the seating positions are more separated closer to the front an back of the boat (more like a canoe). (Disclaimer: our old Oasis was a 2008 Model, I understand the newer models are way better, so what I'm saying here may no longer be true)
Yea the boat is kinda big and kinda heavy, but aren't most tandems...
Sounds like your having a blast out west, sure beats here, it's been raining for 3 weeks straight now, thats why I'm sitting here writing this crap vs being out on the water..
Bob
PS: I'm only writing any of this because I'm trying to help get your thread over 200,000 views (I think an all time record lol).

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:16 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

fusioneng wrote:
Verses our former solution which was a $70k Sea Ray which costs $400/mo for dry storage plus filling up that 80 gallon fuel tank with marine fuel was painful. Anymore we consider our TI as our family boat, and use it as such for pretty much everything we used to use the Sea Ray for.

I have to chuckle. This is the same swap we've done. Those fuel bills killed me and I kept ours in the water, so add anti-fouling expenses, too....and a new motor....and....

I am really excited about the TI.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

fusioneng wrote:
Keith:
...Sounds like your having a blast out west, sure beats here, it's been raining for 3 weeks straight now, thats why I'm sitting here writing this crap vs being out on the water.. You know, Bob, one man's crap is another's poetry.

Bob

PS: I'm only writing any of this because I'm trying to help get your thread over 200,000 views (I think an all time record lol). I think you have done it--pushed this thread over 200,000 views.

Keith

Your logic for getting a TI is pretty much the same as mine at this time in our lives. This past year, it seems I've had a bunch of visitors & guests who all wanted to go sailing with me. Some of them had never been sailing before. So, when it came time to go out in our AIs, it was a ton of work--for me. Also, Nancy has not been getting out a lot--she spends much of the winter out here in NM skiing. Nevertheless, I planned on getting 2 AI 2s initially, but the weight of the boat (AI 2) was a negative. So, I held off and got only one. Then, on my 4th time out, 1st time camping, I had the misfortune of breaking an aka shear pin in open water, which lead to instant capsize of my new AI 2. I thought, Nancy would not like that! So, I began to think a Tandem would be more appropriate (easier) for guests, family, and even when Nancy & I go out. The lower weight of the pre-2015 Tandems is appealing compared to the 2015 Tandem.

So here we are, looking for a Tandem. Thanks for your comments, Bob.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:47 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Chekika wrote:
The lower weight of the pre-2015 Tandems is appealing compared to the 2015 Tandem.
Keith

Keith,
As the changes to the TI have been minimal I doubt the weight difference is much at all.
Remember those published weights have never been accurate.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes, I know, Stringy. I was hoping there might be some truth-in-advertising regarding the TI. Fortunately, I do not intend to ever use a TI solo, so, I should have someone around to help haul it up a beach. If we used one out west here, it would be on fresh water lakes/reservoirs, where you simply have to haul it a bit out of the water and tie it off.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54 ... 80  Next