Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56 ... 80  Next
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

That bridge is the I-5 in Portland.
Thanks for cleaning up my links.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It’s time!

First major trip of the new year, Jan 7-13, 2016. This is the “annual” 7-day Chokoloskee to Flamingo trip; but, it will be more of a fishing trip than usual. Days 1, 3, 5, and 7 travel days. Days 2, 4, and 6 are days for relaxation, beachcombing, fishing, and lots of pictures. These latter relaxation/fishing days are at beautiful wilderness beaches.

Here is the coast line and planned camp sites.

Here is the plan.

Day 1 (Thu, Jan 7): Launch from Chokoloskee for Pavilion Key.

Day 2 (Fri, Jan 8 ): On PAV, relax, fish, beachcomb, take lots of pictures.

Day 3 (Sat, Jan 9): Launch for Highland Beach—20 mi day.

Day 4 (Sun, Jan 10): On HiLand, relax, fish shoreline south, beachcomb, take lots of pictures. The shoreline south of HiLand is sliced up with frequent rivers draining into the Gulf of Mexico. Here is the area we can fish.

Day 5 (Mon, Jan 11): Launch for Northwest Cape Sable—19 mi day

Day 6 Tue, Jan 12): On NWCape, relax, fish shoreline north, beachcomb, take lots of pictures. Again, the shoreline north of NWCape is loaded with rivers emptying into the Gulf.

Day 7 (Wed, Jan 13): Launch for FLM—20 mi day.

If you have questions and/or want to join this trip, reply here or drop me a line at kwellma at gmail dot com.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:01 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The dates for the “First Major Trip of the Year” have been changed to Jan 20-26, 2016. The schedule will be the same as in the preceding post, Days 1, 3, 5, 7 will be travel days (ca. 20 mi each except for Day 1) and Days 2, 4, 6 (PAV, HiLand Beach, NW Cape) will be for relaxing, beachcombing, lots of picture-taking, and fishing. We will likely have group fish fries on those days. The following persons are doing all or part of the trip.

Libby Wolf—a couple days or so on front end

Toby Nipper—sometime on the front end or middle

Alex Oancea—on the weekend when we are at Highland Beach

Don Harris & Dianne—greater than 50% chance for whole trip

Royd (& maybe Allison)—whole trip

Debbie Turner—a bit early to make decision but she is thinking of doing the trip, at least in part

Rick Parks—locked in for whole trip. Rick has a new 2015 AI.

Tom Lachner—whole trip. Tom is new to this group.

Sharon Hutkowski—NW Cape at end of trip

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:26 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I returned our TI to Florida (just down the street from Delnor Wiggins) last week and included all of my camping gear in the hope of kayak camping this year. Not sure when we'll return after the holidays, so pls put me down for a strong maybe for a part of the trip.

I'm looking forward to it!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:33 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Will do, Bob. Please drop me a line at kwellma at gmail dot com, and I will put you on my mailing list. All the people doing the trip are on that list.

Thanks!

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:42 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Email sent, Keith.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The first major trip of the year, Chokoloskee to Flamingo, Jan 20-26, 2016, is now full. Sorry, we can't take any more members. This is the current list:

Libby Wolf—a couple days or so on the front end
Bob Smith—hopes to do some at the front end
Josh Morgan—On PAV
Toby Nipper—sometime?
Alex Oancea—on the weekend at Highland Beach
Don Haynes & Dianne—greater than 50% chance
Royd & maybe Allison—whole trip
Debbie Turner—a bit early but she is thinking of doing the trip, at least in part
Rick Parks—locked in for whole trip
Tom Lachner—whole trip
Jim Quinlan—whole trip, Jim is a great addition
Steve & Maria Sanders—whole trip if Steve can get his AA flight schedule to fit
Sharon Hutkowski—NW Cape; also offered to help w/ shuttles

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Quick comparison of a 2014 Tandem mast and the AI 2 mast

I have picked up a new (literally) 2014 TI recently and thought I would compare that mast to my 2015 AI (AI 2). The TI mast is about 17" longer than the AI 2 mast.

Here are the bases. The furling drum on the AI 2 seems to be about .5 inch longer than that of the TI.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

SnoreBringGator (aka Bill Herrman) has made the comment below on the WaterTribe forum. Snore talks of breaking an AKA on a Kruger canoe equipped with a Balogh sail and aka/amas.

In our case with Hobie AIs, AI 2s, and Tandems, our weak point will be the aka shear pin. I think Snore’s points are very good and may have been the cause of my shear pin breaking w/ instant capsize. You can read about that here: http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=54465&start=15

Quote:
Snore’s comment:

Adding an AKA to a boat adds stability but creates a few stress points that can fail. The largest and most dangerous is the AKA, notably where the flexing AKA joins the hull. In calm flat water and in "normal" conditions, this is not an issue. When the wind is 140 relative or so, blowin 15-20 and the waves begin to push the boat she will surf on her own. When the boat begins to surf things can go ugly:
1. Pushed by the wind, the boat begins to surf at a speed faster than the waves.
2. As the boat comes off a wave the bow begins to dip into the back of the wave in front.
3. The bow plows into the wave in front of the boat, slowing the boat a tad.
4. The sails continue to push the boat forward.
5. The bow pushes through the wave in front of the boat.
6. Because of the high displacement design of the AMA it does not go through the wave as cleanly as the boat and creates significant drag.
7. The drag/stress of pushing the AMA through the wave is transmitted through the AKA to the hull.
8. The combined forces of momentum, energy from the wave behind the boat, and the sail push the boat forward effectively dragging the AMA flexing the AKA aft.

This is where things get dicey. If the energy needed to push the AMA through the wave exceeds the strength of the AKA (our aka shear pin), it will break. I know this because I broke one! It was fortunate that I was able to save the boat from flipping, get the sail down, collect the AMA that broke and get to shore without losing the boat.

The shape of our Island ama is very good and should push through the wave quite efficiently. I think the problem comes when the ama is pushed deep enough such that the front aka bar also drives into the wave. At this point, the stress on the aka shear pin may be sufficient to break it. I think that is the best explanation of my AI 2 shear pin failure & capsize.

You can look at the 48-sec video I took shortly before my capsize. Toward the end of that video, you can see the bow rising and diving into the next wave. The ama is doing a comparable thing but deeper. At this point, the aka bar is driven into the wave and at the high speed & drive of the AI 2 loaded with camping gear, it was too much for the aka shear pin.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:57 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Chekika wrote:
The shape of our Island ama is very good and should push through the wave quite efficiently. I think the problem comes when the ama is pushed deep enough such that the front aka bar also drives into the wave. At this point, the stress on the aka shear pin may be sufficient to break it. I think that is the best explanation of my AI 2 shear pin failure & capsize.

Makes sense. Whenever I'm splashing through waves big enough to reach the aka, it's like someone hit the brakes. I always figured it was the splash guards, but it makes sense that the akas could be contributing as well. I can definitely see how this force could snap a shear pin.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 10:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nylatron Aka-brace Shear Pins

Flaneur, a forum member, has made an excellent suggestion for a new shear pin: nylatron. Here is the link: http://www.mcmaster.com/#97435a105/=101tr4u

After breaking my shear pin for no apparent reason (however, see the post above), I'm going to give the wear-resistant nylatron shoulder screw a try.

I think it would be fair to argue that this should also happen (shear pin breaking unexpectedly) with the tandem, but we haven't heard about it. Maybe it has? I don't know. Of course, the sail position, etc., are different on the AI 2 vs the tandem which would lead to different forces. And, not everyone has their boat loaded near max with camping gear--could make a difference.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

Last edited by Chekika on Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:54 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Keith,

I noticed that you had haka(s) on the boat when the pin broke and you capsized. I've always assumed that my tramps - and hakas, too - would act as "keep out" lines to prevent a total collapse, but obviously that's incorrect. Did your hakas detach from the akas when the pin broke?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Bob,

When I capsized in my AI 2, I was using my AI hakas--too large for the AI 2 by 3-4" (length). So, they did not act as any kind of deterrent for folding back of the aka/ama. I'm working on a new pair which will fit both my AI 2 and my new (really) 2014 tandem, i.e., I designed them to fit my AI 2 and find they fit my recently acquired tandem.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

What the???... Chekika's got a TI!!! :shock:
:lol:
Congrats Keith. I hope you enjoy it as much as we have. The TI has become my sailing Island of choice, so much so that I haven't sailed the AI in around two years. I recently purchased one of the last superseded Adventure kayaks new and very cheap ($1200 off) as a replacement for my AI, which I was only using in kayak mode. I'm loving the 8kg lighter hull in my commute. I plan to sell the AI soon and when I do I will be AI less for the first time in 7 years. I never thought that would happen. At one stage I even had 2 AI's, but the TI works better for us and sails great solo as well.

Just thinking out loud here ...but if the broken pin was just the result of the aka bar being hit by a wave then there would be many more reports of this occurring. I've lost count of the number of YouTube clips I've seen where the lee ama and much of the aka is totally submerged while sailing at speed.
My 2010 TI is still on its original aka brace pins and we have been out many times in conditions similar to and worse than your video clip Keith. I do always use tramps though.

BobAgain,
Tramps will prevent an aka collapse unless the tramp buckles break as well, as some have reported. It's never happened to us though and we are still on the original smaller tramp buckles.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:46 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thanks, Stringy!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56 ... 80  Next