Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 80  Next
PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The only thing to look out for Keith is that the bags should be BPA free. I don't know why they still sell bags that aren't. A sous vide bag is BPA free, good for freezing and heating and costs the same as the inferior bags. You don't need to boil the water ( sorry, I said boil the water previously and have just corrected it ). 55-60 deg C is ideal for either cooking or warming. A YouTube or Google search on Sous Vide gives heaps of info.

As far as cooking times go, a 1 hour steak is the best steak you will ever taste. Bob must be planning to cook a moose with his 8 hours. I bet the Hilton Management don't know about this !!!

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Russ, now you have me wondering--how can you cook a steak for 1 hr? That is not slow cook times and about 55 min longer than very rare. What is the recipe?

A jet boil is just that, fast boiled water. It doesn't really have a "55-60 deg C" setting. It is basically 100 deg C or cold--those are the settings available. For many things, that would be fine.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 5:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Here is a video that's a good start. I just use my gas burner, set it on low, use heaps of water, adjust the distance from the pot to the flame to get a constant temp. and leave it in for 1 hour ( I like mine rare ) then take it out, cut open the bag and then a 30 second per side sear on a hot plate to crust it, then wrap it in foil to let it stand for 5 minutes then eat the best steak ever.

Or, if you find a power point somewhere, here is an easier way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTspB9b01bg

I don't know anything about a jet boiler, ( wouldn't mind some info though ). It sound like it may not suit this application.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Russ, that "best steak ever" video was pretty good. I've sworn off beef and butter or I would give it a try. (No hijacking this thread to preach about healthy eating!)

The Jet Boil is just the opposite approach: heat water as fast as you can. If you can figure out ways to use that hot water to heat other things or combine with other food, you have a match made in heaven. Jet Boil wins the annual Backcountry Magazine Editors' Choice Award almost every year. Here is a link to several versions of Jet Boil: http://www.rei.com/CompareProduct/User If I were to buy one this year, it would be the Jet Boil Flash Cooking System. Of course, you can get it at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Flash-Personal-Cooking-System-Carbon/dp/B002N18PHO/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1390096625&sr=1-1&keywords=jet+boil+flash+cooking+system

In addition to having an outstanding heat exchanger, which is the key to Jet Boil's success, it also packs up very neatly and compactly. It is very conservative with gas, so that the small gas cylinder it uses lasts for about 4-5 days to do all my solo cooking. I think it could be combined with some of the vacuum seal meals you and Bob have been talking about in your posts today, as long as those bags hold up to boiling water.

We all march to a different drummer, especially when it comes to eating; but, it is all excellent food for thought. How about a toast to great meals on the beach!

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I was impressed with Slaughters vacuum packed food on our last trip. I'll have to get one. Not having to use bulky containers in the esky is a big plus.

Now back to the Tablet debate!
I've been using Navionics on a Galaxy Tab 8.9 for the last year and a half. Before that I used Navionics on my 4 year old S1 Galaxy phone. It worked great and I still use it even though I don't have a sim card in it. I went back to a dumb phone and prefer to use a tablet for the internet. I'm still using my old Nokia Navigator without simcard as a track logger and speedo.

My Tab 8.9 does have 4G but I confirm what Keith was saying. If the device has GPS built in it works without any mobile reception. You just need to preload the maps when on WiFi.
I thought I could use the phone app on my tablet but no, it required the tablet Navionics version. It does have more detail than the phone version so I didn't mind paying extra.
The negative with using a Tablet for navigation is that it is hard to see the screen in bright sunlight, in the waterproof iPad Sea to Summit bag I'm using.

Keith,
I saw you loaded the tide charts but are you aware that they are built into Navionics already? Anywhere you see a Red "T" on your screen you can click and get up to date tide info.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 11:47 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Here is one of the price comparision sites in Sweden, Searching for "galaxy tab 3":

http://www.pricerunner.se/cl/224/Surfpl ... e=standard

I get 13 hits. Five of them says 3G or 4G. Obviously the Galaxy tab 3 without 3G has got more expensive while the one with 3G has got less expensive. The price difference was 1300 kr (200 dollars) but is now only 500 kr (80 dollars). With that small difference in price I sure think it is worth to pay a little extra to get 3g-capability.

You owe me a beer or 2! In Sweden!

Maybe Samsung dont sell the 3g/4g-versions in America or have given them another name. Check some american price comparision place. Ebay for example:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid= ... g&_sacat=0

I can see several ones with 3g. For example "New Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 7.0 T211 8GB 3G Android 4.1 Tablet PC - White".

The Gps-functionality in your Tablet might work perfectly well in the Everglades, but only because all the necessary maps already are included in the software or have been downloaded later. Otherwise you might get no more than the coordinates. That is really everything gps does. Gps is not delivering maps to you!

3G wont solve the problem if there is no internet connection in the Everglades. You still will need to have the maps preloaded in your tablet. If you find that maps are missing you will have to go to a spot where there is a wireless broadband internet access point to update your maps.

You can most probably stop worrying as long as you stay in the US. But dont go to Honduras without checking that you have the local maps in your tablet!

You could also buy another tablet. You will have a spare one and you will have twice the battery capacity. If you buy seven they will last for a week!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:04 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

impressive vacuum sealer and food ideas fellas,
really good to see how you mob get out and expedition the hell out of your islands,
cheers
joel

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:33 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Joel, you can buy camping basics from KMart for not much more than $100 (tent, butane stove & 4 cans, inflatable mattress & pillow, lightweight sleeping bag, saucepan etc). Add a few drybags, freeze water in old milk cartons for the Esky, and off you go.

But the real buzz for me is the anticipation which builds up as the day approaches!

I am preparing for a few nights in Myall Lakes, which is supposed to be one of the nicest spots around here.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hobie Craft--I'll buy you a couple beers when I get to Sweden. My son was apparently aware that these tablets might have 3g/4g capability because he held my Tablet up to his ear in a joking fashion at Xmas. Their literature does not claim that functionality. The important point is that with the on-board GPS--totally independent of phone/Wi-Fi connectivity--can determine accurate coordinates. Use the Navionics App and you have a "GPS" similar to any other consumer GPS--auto or backcountry.

Downloading maps by the App is trivial--you set in your living room with Wi-Fi and your Galaxy Tab 3, scroll the App map to anywhere (see my post above Wow! Check Out This GPS Marine & Lake Chart App for Tablets) http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=7276&start=360
like Hawaii or Yellowstone or Ft Desoto to Key Largo (WaterTribe EC route), and the maps are downloaded--you do nothing except scroll to the area. Obviously, if you are doing a trip to an area, you will look at the area on your Tablet App before you go--that simple action causes the maps to be downloaded--about as quick as you can scroll & zoom. Downloading the maps is a non-issue.

Maybe I’m being a bit parochial. Some people may not have Wi-Fi in their living room and will be dependent on their phone. Downloading maps may not be so trivial for them. But it is easy if you have a Wi-Fi connection.

Stringy--yes, that App tide feature is great. I have yet to use my Tablet + Navionics App in the field, but I know you can get the tides without phone/Wi-Fi connection. After I do that once, I will probably quit using my PDF tides. No, as I write this, I'm thinking--I'm done with my PDF tides. Yes, I will use the App tides. Yes!

Stingy, that is good info about the difference between the phone and Tablet app. Are you saying you could not load the cheap ($10) phone app onto your Galaxy tablet?

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

Last edited by Chekika on Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:51 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 5:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Oz, the best thing you can do, if you are sort of new to kayak/AI/TI camping is to get together with some of your mates and see what works for them. Otherwise, you run off buying a bunch of stuff that you have to replace in a year or so. Hmmm, when you come down to it, replacing gear is part of the fun of this hobby.

In any case, Tony is right, start out with minimal stuff, check with your mates, and you will be in good shape.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Back to vacuum seals and Jet Boil meals--kinda rhymes.

Here is a quote from a bow-hunting site: I've been doing that for years. You'll be surprised at the money you save and what you have for hunting food. I just seal up left overs throughout the year. When hunting season rolls around you'll have enough food to feed an army.

Gravy is a #1 thing to save, it lasts long after thawing out and good sausage gravy goes on any bread for a meal that will stick with you a while. Things like spaghetti and noodle dishes work well to.

I do up some for multiple person meals and some smaller that fit in a jet boil, the jet boil will heat up a meal fast. I have had many hunts in AK where I never had to go to the store for food and when I opened up the freezer there were enough choices that everybody was happy in camp.

I think I'm getting into this, because I can see that the combination Jet Boil and vacuum sealed/frozen meals could last 4 days easily and take up minimal room. I'm thinking that vacuum sealed/frozen meals could be stuck in a very small beer cooler (6-pack), and they would last easily 4 days. After that you may have to rely on your fishing skills to have a really good meal, but I have a couple other room temperature bag meals that are not bad.

I love slow cookers. My favorite is the Cuisinart (http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-MSC-600-Central-6-Quart-Multi-Cooker/dp/B008YEXC22/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1390144807&sr=1-1&keywords=cuisinart+slow+cooker) and this cook book by Andrew Schloss, http://www.amazon.com/Art-Slow-Cooker-Exciting-Recipes/dp/0811859126/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_y

Leftover vacuum seal meals are beginning to look endless.

One of the requirements of any of my Jet Boil meals is that the food must NOT touch the Jet Boil cooking cup. I use the cup to boil coffee/tea water; therefore, I don't want food flavors. Of course, there is a way around that little problem, take a second cup to boil water. In any case, I like to keep my Jet Boil cup clean w/o doing any dish washing in it. Since the Jet Boil cup is ordinary steel, using salt water to clean it is a NO-NO.

I do carry a simple MSR stove & gas cylinder (http://www.rei.com/product/830343/msr-windpro-ii-backpacking-stove) and cook system (http://www.rei.com/product/849685/msr-quick-solo-cookware-system) That is an alternate way of heating things. I also carry a stainless steel fry pan for fish or even to open and heat/sauté a vacuum seal meal. With stainless steel, I don't have a problem using salt water to clean it.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Woah. I'm just catching up on the last week of posts. Keith - I'm sorry your trip got aborted and am now glad I was to busy to join you. I would have had a cow.

btw - I got a kick out of the dildo discussion. I chuckled when I first saw the map with the name of the key. Weird, but not for FLA.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for all that food equipment info Keith. May take me a while to digest. :roll:
The Jetboil looks really good.
Do you have a rescheduled date for the trip ?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:16 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Slaughter--I don't know if you are into slow cookers, but that Cuisinart I mentioned above is great because you can do your sautéing in the cooker, then do the cooking. Truly a 1-pot meal and the pot is super easy to clean.

The next window for the Cape Sable trip is this Wednesday. Winds are predicted to be the same direction as my aborted trip, but much lighter.

This Cape Sable trip should be easy! It is a beginner trip. What weird weather. First, we had no winter. Very hot. Now, winter in Florida has arrived and the cold fronts are coming so fast, one can't get through before another one is coming in.

I'm just a simple boy from South Dakota--born during the great depression and lived through the dust bowl. My Mom always told me, "there is no such thing as a free meal."

"Dildo Key" totally went over my head.

Terry, if you and Don had been with me, I can guarantee we would have made it to Cape Sable. Next try will be Wed, Jan 22. You and Don can come down, stay overnight, before heading out. Fishing the confluence of Ingraham Lake with the Gulf. If weather permits, may go out in the Gulf a bit and do some mackerel fishing.

Keith

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:35 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Bow-hunting?! Had to google it. According to Wikipedia it is prohibited since 1938 in Sweden. And in a lot of other European Countries, but very far from all of them.

"Nations including Denmark, France, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Hungary, Finland, Bulgaria and Slovenia use bow and arrow hunting as a hunting tool in modern game management. Some European countries including Croatia, Germany, Ireland, Norway, Lithuania and the United Kingdom prohibit bowhunting."

In Sweden you are not even allowed to carry a knife in the city without a good reason, usually a professional reason. Fishing might be a good enough reason. But a bow? Probably illegal even to walk around with it. If I had a bow in my TI I would have to be careful not to get into troubles.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1195 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 80  Next