Hobie Cat Forums

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:48 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Has anyone any info on the various brands of bug shirts out on the market right now (not the chemical repellant shirts, but the hoodie-with-a-net-type?

I'm wanting to head to the 10,000 islands area pretty soon and would like to be well aremed against noseeums as well as 'squitos. Which one would be the most breathable, best peripheral vision, etc....

I'm not finding a whole lot in the way of reviews.

I imagine some of the Everglades Challenge participants would know something about this.

All opinions welcome, and thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If in the everglades you could always get one of those bubble balls and go around in that (no mosquitos can get in the bubble)
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/0 ... 33178.html

I got a kick out of the story.

Bob

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Campmor has about the most bug stuff of anyone. Here is a link to a page showing their bug jacket and pants http://www.campmor.com/SearchDisplay?storeId=226&catalogId=40000000226&langId=-1&beginIndex=0&searchSource=Q&sType=SimpleSearch&resultCatEntryType=2&searchTerm=bugs

Those bug suits are not cool. Because of the fine mesh to keep out noseeums (flying teeth), they do not allow much air in/out.

If you are from up north (I see you are from Jacksonville) and used to camping in woods, that is a no-no in the everglades. Keep as far from woods and vegetation as possible. Camp on points where you get maximum breeze. Deet (25% in "Off Deep Woods") is a good repellent. Personally, I don't use 100% Deet because of potential health problems. You can camp near woods & vegetation in the "winter" months--Jan-Feb, maybe Dec & Mar--when it is cooler or a strong cold front is coming in.

Summer time can be dangerously hot. Some people do camp in the everglades in the summer--kind of a challenge, but you have to be very careful and know what you are doing. Take plenty of water, at least a gal/day. Gatorade and that type drink is a good idea to replenish you chemicals lost during a hot day. You should carry an umbrella or other shade for those exposed points where you will be camping. During the day, you can hang out under trees in the shade with a breeze (& Deet repellent,) but as soon as the sun goes down, the mosquitos will be thick. In the absence of a breeze, the noseeums are always a problem on beaches. You can see my example of a beach umbrella on my post at http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=7276&start=255 Scroll down until you get to "Flamingo to Chokoloskee: A Trip of Firsts."

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum. Reading the adventures of Chekika, tonyscott, NOHUHU, fusioneng, and all the other regulars (along with watching the videos) is what finally convinced me to get a 2014 TI in August (I know, I know - just before the cool 2015's came out). I have been lurking but thought this a good opportunity to jump in.

I made a trip to TTIs the morning after I bought my TI back in August. My buddy and I picked up the new TI at 6 PM and set off on a 10 hr drive from Georgia to Goodland, FL at 4 am the next day. A bit excessive for a shakedown, but I can vouch for the Trailex trailer (I-75 at 78mph both ways) and the easy learning curve of the TI.

Anyway, to bring this around to the topic . . . it was my first trip with my new TI, but probably my 10th trip over the last 3 years to TTIs. Two of those trips have been in August. Most people would say not recommended but we love the area so much we'll put up with the bugs.

Bugs: Keith's advice is spot on from my experience. The first summer trip, we did what we usually do in the winter and camped in the mangroves off from the beach on Helen Key. It was a dumb mistake and I thought we would go crazy. This time we camped right on the beach in hammocks on a point to maximize the breeze. Much better when the wind is blowing but you will still need repellent - bring lots and lots.

The following is a bit off the specific topic, but thought I'd share a few other TTI / everglades experiences:

Water: Again, Keith is absolutely right. We used to go in a Wilderness Systems Pamlico tandem. We had to pack so minimally that we would be stingy with water. You need plenty of fresh water. I even built a cheap, light desalinator for when we run out. I can't tell you how much nicer the TI is - you can bring all the water you want! So bring lots. I also bring a couple of light fold up buckets (or you could use your empty dry bags) to catch rainwater off the tarps - in the summer it rains almost everyday. It's nice to occasionally dip a rag in fresh water and just wash off a bit before bed.

Weather: The winter is usually dry and predictable, but the summer . . . it will not just rain most everyday but storm. Expect and prepare for this. It can be quite intimidating to be on a tiny mangrove and shell island and see high winds and lightning popping across the bay headed in your direction. We may have set a world record for getting a mast off a brand new TI.

Back to your original question - I haven't yet tried any type of bug repelling device yet, but am very interested in the new material that supposedly has a repellent built into the fabric. If anyone has tried this type of clothing, please let us know. I tried wearing a head net for awhile but just couldn't get into it. I try to keep moving, inside my ENO bug netted hammock, or doused with repellent.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:47 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

lboiv001

I have used "The Original Bug Shirt", even used it in the everglades during mosquito season and it performed very well.

One thing to be mindful of, the durability of the fabric is most critical to a bug shirt. If you spend any time in the bush lesser fabric will snag and be destroyed in no time on the branches/thorns ever present in the area.

Following is the link: http://www.bugshirt.com/