Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Demo'd an AI
PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I got to go to an in-the-water kayak demo in Clear Lake, between Houston and Galveston, yesterday morning. I arrived there just as they were finishing putting the AI together and got to be the first guy out in the water on it.

The first thing I wanted to try was the Mirage Drive because I couldn't believe it worked as well as what I'd read. With very little effort, easier than riding a bike, I got that boat moving pretty fast. There was no noise, no banging the paddle on the side of the boat, not even any creaking or crackling in my aging knees. Within a couple of strokes, I moved smoothly forward and picked up speed. I believe it now.

I had wondered about the seat and the position for pedalling but found it was quite comfortable.

As I pedalled the boat away from the dock, I tried out the rudder control. I had a little fun with it at first because you move it right to go right and left to go left and I was wanting to push it like a tiller, left to go right, etc., and I also had a little difficulty finding where the rudder was centered. I figured I'd get used to that in a hurry.

I unfurled the sail and caught the breeze and off I went. It was a light wind but good enough to get the boat going much faster than pedalling.

I spent about 20 minutes in it and enjoyed every second. I think I'll be bringing one home pretty soon.

This is my first post here. I've learned a lot by reading this forum and have enjoyed your adventures and videos. Thanks to all who have posted. I hope I'll have some things to share in the near future.

Also, since I'm in Texas, I'll have to put registration numbers on the AI, are there any folks with photos of their boats with the numbers on them?

Thanks,

Bill (Beaumont, Texas)