Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 3:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Recently I was able to visit Broughton Island in the AI to see if it would be suitable as a Tandem camping trip destination.
My plan was to kayak/sail the 15kms around the island as a day trip stopping to investigate the many sights the island has to offer.

Broughton Island lies off the coast of NSW between Hawkes Nest and Seal Rocks. It is usually reached from Shoal Bay which is about 20kms south. A day trip from there would not be possible so I looked at other options on Google Earth.
At its closest point to the mainland it is only about 3 kms off Sandy Point. This is a beach that can be accessed with a 4WD via a sandy track. You are only able to drive up to the last sand dune before the beach leaving a 100 metre cartage over the dune and down to the beach. With my limited time this looked the best option.

With the AI loaded on the roof rack and the amas inside the vehicle I left early for the 150km trip North.
After reaching the Sandy Point Track I lowered the tyre pressures so I could negotiate the loose sand. The track ends in a small car park where I assembled the AI.

I changed the heavy duty wheels for the balloon wheels on the cart.

I find a strap useful in securing the rear amas. It stops them from hitting the ground when negotiating uneven terrain.

The dune was very loose and it was a struggle getting the AI up and then down to the beach.

By the time I was ready to launch it was midday. :(
At the waters edge I had to contend with a strong rip, shallow sandbar and 2’ breakers. My first time in the AI in these conditions I was a bit nervous but needn’t have worried. The AI handled them well.

I was soon out in open water and passed close by Inner Rock, which is a storm petrel sanctuary.

With a 2 metre SW swell running and only a 10 knot breeze it took me about 40 minutes to reach the sheltered Providence Beach . I was impressed with the clean sand and clear water.

With the late start, swell and light winds I realised I wouldn’t have time to travel around the entire island. I decided to explore this Northern side and headed out to the islands end enjoying the rugged cliffs, sea caves and pristine beaches.
On a calmer day a closer inspection of the caves would be good.

I returned to Providence Beach which looked even better as the clouds had cleared.

I went for a quick explore of the island and walked over to the southern side, finding this chasm

Sadly daylight was running out and it was time to leave. The trip back was easy, despite the wind having dropped as I was able to pedal back :wink:
I arrived back at Sandy Point just on dusk, having really enjoyed my quick trip.
There is so much more to see of Broughton Island. Although it is only around a 4 hour drive from Sydney it is not that well known. In fact I didn't see another person the whole trip! I have read about Con's Cleft which is a narrow chasm that can be kayaked through if conditions are right and Esmerelda Cove (the main camping area) looks like a great base.
I'll definitely be back - hopefully with enough time to camp on the island and explore it properly. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 7:01 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Great pics and report,I really like the pristine beauty, sounds and looks like a great gettaway place,enjoy.
mm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 9:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Looks like a great trip, thanks for sharing. How do you like the hobie wheels compared to the black ones? Better for sand?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 10:59 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Stringy, great pics, beautiful place! When you take the tandem, I hope you'll post some more pictures.

I really like your ama strap -- will have to try that out. What kind of balls are those on your cart? 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 2:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for the comments :)

SWEETDUDE- I was disappointed with the balloon tyres. This haul was the longest and through the deepest sand I'd done with the AI fully loaded. It was a difficult cartage and by the time I got to the water I could see why. One of the tyres had gone flat. :( It wasn't punctured either. I think the 52kg+ weight of the loaded AI is too much for the wheels which are rated at 35kg each. The 70kg combined wheel capacity should be adequate, however on uneven ground the AI tilts and at times one wheel is supporting all the weight. That wheel is then overloaded. It is also difficult to check the pressure of 1-3psi max.
I like the black heavy duty wheels and I'm thinking next time I might just deflate them for sand like I had to on my 4WD.

Roadrunner- the balls are a variation on your clever tennis ball idea. 8) They are a solid medium density rubber kids ball. I had trouble with the tennis balls collapsing and the rubber balls stand up better. I use two as the bottom ball gets distorted as there is nothing supporting it the other side of the crossbar. I intend adding a large s/s washer on the cart posts which may give one ball enough support. It's important for balls to be correctly supported. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 6:24 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Inspiring! Beautiful terrain and beaches. Thanks for sharing! Now where's my Atlas.... ?

Post subject: just awesome
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:49 am 
Site Rank - Captain

If I was closer I would love to do that trip with you

got a extra AI?

Post subject: Great pictures
PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I too am inspired watching those great pictures and your informative summary. It did seem a struggle with the cart over sand and I'm not sure what the best solution is for this type of terrain. Maybe, as suggested in so many other excellent posts, the all terrain tyres with the tyre pressure low are the best option.

I have yet to try the cart but I expect it soon and have to travel over flat stones about 100m. Experience with a wheel barrow suggests that fatter tyres are the best solution over flat stones.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Again, thanks all for the comments. I can't wait to get back and camp there. :)
Bruce- It's a long way away from your location -pretty much the other side of the world! :wink:
Al- Sadly I have only one AI -but I'm hoping that will change later this year. That is if Hobie doesn't bring out a tandem AI! One thing I didn't try on this trip was fishing but it is supposed to be fantastic there.
Upyaboya- Congratulations on your AI purchase. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have. I consider it the most versatile kayak in the fleet. I can see you have done your research well by reading through these forums so you're off to a great start. Looking forward to hearing of your exploits in it.
Regarding the cart I still think the Hobie Trax is the way to go over sand despite the flat tyre. I realise now that I had it overloaded. The balloon wheels can barely cope with the AI let alone the extra gear I had in it as well! It will be two trips next time and I will be carrying a small hand pump just in case!
I came across this picture of Con's Cleft, the narrow chasm you can kayak through on the island.
I'm looking forward to attempting it in the AI- in Adventure only mode of course! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:02 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks a lot Stringy, my new A1 arrives in about 4 hours having travelled half way around the world to get here. Of course, the weather has now decided to get murky with good winds and a lumpy sea so it could be a baptism of fire. But yes, I'm mightily excited.

Following your great encounter, I have ordered the Trax wheels as a better solution and while I only have to travel 800 yards to the beach, the last thing I want is to be knackered before I get there!

I will gladly let you know how I fare but I've an awful lot to learn and you guys are getting me there.

As a seasoned sea kayaker using the paddle, I'm looking forward to the versatility but I definitely advise you to try to use the adventure with the paddle every now and then. I have this feeling that the mirage drive and sail might make paddling a thing of the past.

Finally, reading all of the encounters and Aloha Dan in particular and his fishing exploits, when I've got some confidence, I'm definitely going to learn to fish. It sounds like great fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Upyaboya wrote:
As a seasoned sea kayaker using the paddle, I'm looking forward to the versatility but I definitely advise you to try to use the adventure with the paddle every now and then. I have this feeling that the mirage drive and sail might make paddling a thing of the past.

G'Day Upyaboya -I have found that I actually use the paddle more since getting the AI!
Our first Hobie was the Tandem (now Oasis) and I used that regularly solo for about a year before getting the AI. I would rarely paddle it though as it is a bit of a barge. :wink:
The AI, in Adventure mode only, is a pleasure to paddle. It tracks well and glides easily. In fact when conditions are smooth and glassy I prefer to paddle as I find it more relaxing than pedaling. I pull the drive, put the plug in and raise the rudder. My cruising speed is around 6-7Km/h which is about 1km/h slower than pedaling. When conditions get rough or I'm battling a headwind or current then the drive goes back in as there is no comparison. I use it in Adventure mode with the small sail a lot more often than I do as the fully rigged AI.
It really is a versatile craft. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

G'night Stringy!

I'm very interested to hear about your preference for the paddle in calm conditions. I find it effortles and move along nicely in a dagger sea kayak which is very good in lumpy seas. That said, I think I'll follow your advice and use the pedals when the sea state makes paddling too much hard work. Often, in rough conditions, there's no rest for fear of going backwards at a rate of knots unless I'm lucky enough to find a lobster pot where I might sometimes take a breather by hanging on to the bouy.

My A1 has arrived and is partly assembled. Thankfully there's no obvious damage. One of the holes for the pin assembly is stuck but I reckon I can drill out the blockage in the morning. I just have to rig the sail which looks relatively straightforward but never having completed such an assignment, I'm bound to get my ropes crossed.

Two stupid questions:

Where does the bungee at the rear of the seat attach?
What are the 2 rubber scupper scoops complete with string for?

Neither will stop me launching at 10.00 am, not even Ireland playing rugby against you guys, and I have to say I'm very excited.

The build quality seems very high and everything seems to have been well thought out so that even a dummy like me can assemble it.

Yes, tomorrow should be an interesting and great day!

Again, many thanks for the encouragement and wonderful account of your recent experience. The scenery reminds me of the West coast of Ireland.

I will let you know how I enjoyed my very first 'adventure'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

So it's finally arrived-that's great news! :)
I usually just wrap the seat bungee around the rear x-bar and clip it back onto itself. Others clip it to the cargo bungee where the two crossover.
The rubber scoops are scupper plugs for the rear cargo scuppers. I have never used them. While on the scupper subject I always do the seat scuppers up as I have found you stay drier longer and if you do take on water from spray it soon warms up. Left undone you will be wet instantly and it tends not to warm up. You have probably seen Roadrunner's post on the sticky tape venturi for really wet conditions.
Hopefully it is an 08 so you have the upgraded drive, mast and rudder up/down system. Check that the rear hatch has a spare rudder pin fitted into the underside of the lid (a Yakaholic idea that Hobie adopted).
Be carefull drilling out the hole. Is it the x-bar or ama hole? You can't gently tap the pin past the obstruction? It's important to avoid enlarging the hole.
The Hobie instructions for fitting the sail are pretty clear.
Enjoy! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

G'day Stringy

Yes, the A1 arrived and I set about assembling it. Careful drilling of the aka hole worked fine without enlarging it. I did notice that one of the ama's seems to have a defect where the mould accepts the aka because it goes way down bypassing the ring and leaves the ama unbalanced. That said, I found the assembly straightforward and was very impressed with the setup.

It is an O8 model with the modified rudder (and pin) and thanks to all the posts, I had a good idea of how to launch it. The cart with the heavy duty wheels worked great across the garden and across the road but it was tough going on the stones. In truth, the 100 yards on the beach would kill you. I now use the trax wheels on the stones and it is a big improvement. Ground clearance is an issue with the ama's trailing behind and I'm thinking that the tennis ball idea might give me a few inches.

There was a good wind blowing and lumpy sea which proved the kind of conditions I like for the maiden voyage. I hopped in, put the mirage drive in and as I peddled out into the waves, I extended the aka's, locked in the dagger board and as soon as I had room unfurled the sail. Well....it just took off and I held on with a grin from ear to ear. I found the rudder very responsive (even compared to my Dagger) and the mirage drive is amazing. I fitted the ST Turbo fins and although my legs ached like crazy after the first attempt, it gets easier every time.

I have no idea how quick I was going and need to fit a guage of some description. It handled the waves very well and on the few occasions where I had to go broadside, I was struck by the stability of the A1.

So I'm hooked for sure and looking very much forward to further trips as I become more familiar with the handling. I'm cautious about being stuck with no wind and having the prospect of peddling all the way home.

As has been said many times before, a wonderful, fun and at times exhilerating way to have fun. The A1 is great and better than anything I've used to date.

Now I must learn to fish and follow Yakman's expolits.

The only irritant is the creaking of the aka's which I suspect is slight movement in the hinge assembly and consequent knocking. It happens when the ama is in the water on either side and generally into the wind.

A wet seat is not a problem and I choose to keep the plugholes closed.

How do you measure speed on the water?

Thanks for all your help, pictures coming soon ....as soon as I figure out how to load them.

Brian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:38 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

G'day Stringy,

Right in my back yard, although driving the 20km up the coast as the crow flies probably requires 100+ kms from where I live on Port Stephens bay. Great pics, I will have to think about going up there.

Geoff.