Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:09 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Wow, Stringy, great pictures. Have you done your camping trips? Written them up?

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Stringy - thanks for sharing your adventure with us. 8)
Great photos - looks like a fantastic place to go and maybe camp - at least overnight. :roll:
It certainly looks like a bit of a long haul to your launch site though. :shock:
I'm off to NZ for couple of weeks so I guess my AI will just have to wait patiently for my return :lol:

Adventure Island Sailing since 2008

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Keith,
Thanks.
It's interesting that this post is about a year old and some of the original pics have gone missing.
The camping trip didn't eventuate -life's too busy!
We are actually planning to get there next week, probably Tuesday, for another day trip. Chrisj is interested and I have another mate keen to borrow my spare AI. Might even take the Tandem across if my wife is happy about the weather on the day! :wink:

Mickey,
What! You haven't lined up an AI trip over in NZ? There are some forum members over there! :wink:
Stobbo used to post here a bit although he seems to be on the KFS site these days.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Quote:
Mickey,
What! You haven't lined up an AI trip over in NZ? There are some forum members over there!
Stobbo used to post here a bit although he seems to be on the KFS site these days.

No such luck - actually haven't tracked down one AI in NZ :cry:
I didn't fancy trying this............
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_McAuley
Nor this...........
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossing_the_Ditch
I don't even expect to do any kayaking whilst over there - just normal touristy things :wink:

Adventure Island Sailing since 2008

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mickey, they've got some great whitewater kayaking (or rafting) over there if you feel like a bit of adrenalin.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for taking the time to post that report on Broughton, nice photos too.

Were there any evidence of huts or old dwellings visible?
The one time I visited was in the 70's and there were some fishing shantie's, I think in the bay on the South side? (subsequently the National Parks rightly prohibited dwelling there I believe).

I am currently working on a cart that has 20" plastic BMX Bike wheels with fat tyres for rolling the AI easily on soft sand.

I also raised my two standard Hobie carts with 3" sections of Pool Noodles slipped over the tubes that insert into the hull, much easier towing for tall people especially, better ground clearance for uneven terrain.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:30 am 
Site Rank - Captain

No such luck - actually haven't tracked down one AI in NZ :cry:
I didn't fancy trying this............
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_McAuley
Nor this...........
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossing_the_Ditch
I don't even expect to do any kayaking whilst over there - just normal touristy things :wink:[/quote]

Mickeymouse,

There's a TV documentary made about Andrew McAuley's attempt at crossing the ditch which is chilling. On his first attempt he turned back in quite a distressed state. The second and failed attempt came within 100 miles of NZ. I won't spoil it by going through the details but I strongly recommend that you keep an eye out for it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:26 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

G'Day Skymax,
Thanks. The huts are still there in Esmerelda Cove. I'm determined to get there this trip!
Your cart sounds interesting -any pics?

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 1:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey Stringy, do you realise it's a year since you did your Broughton Island trip. You said that you would do it again and your post got such a hugh response I was wondering if we should organise a group camping trip to the same spot. It looked so good and seeing as you have already done it, your position as tour guide is set. I'm sure that there would be a few willing participants. I live about an hour South, you and ChrisJ arn't much further away, Geoff is already up at Nelsons Bay. Cowsgomoo is in Sydney.

What's your thoughts everyone ?

Don't take life too seriously................it ain't permanent.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 3:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hmmm, very temping....

I'd like to get a little more yak time up before I go though . It'll give me something to work toward. And I'll have to organise to not be on call.

What's the best time of year to do it? I've already got a small tent and camping gear.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 4:18 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I spose it is start'n to get a bit cold and weather is a bit unpredictable. But I could be still talked into it. I'm a bit the same with getting hours up just to give me some more confidence. I took it out today. Wild south westerly, had a ball. I've got a rudder problem that I need to sort out before I venture outside though. As soon as the the wind picks up strong, the thing turns into the wind and the rudder position doesn't make any difference. I'm sure it's just an adjustment.

But it's good to know that you are also keen. I think it could be a great weekend.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 9:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If your AI keeps turning into the wind (either side) then you may just have too much sail out. Try reefing a bit more (maybe just 2-3") and it should stop.

Aloha,

Kayaking Bob

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 2:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Your spot on reconlon. I went out again today and finally worked it out. It was really p'n me off. It was really gusty and I would be happily sail'n along and then when a wind gust would come up, the AI would turn straight into the wind. I furled the sail in to where the cut angle changes on the top of the sail and problem solved. It's good though to have it confirmed by someone. I still think though the the rudder isn't quite right. That nut on the rudder axis seems to keep working loose. Is this a common problem ? I tighten it so that there is still rudder movement but when I get in after an hour or so the assembly is sloppy again ? Also what's with that plastic screw pin? It misses the hole by a few millimetres so is there an adjustment needed somewhere ? So many questions but I would appreciate your opinion.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 3:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Slaughter wrote:
Also what's with that plastic screw pin? It misses the hole by a few millimetres so is there an adjustment needed somewhere ?

What model AI do you have Slaughter? Sounds like it may be pre 08 if it has the lockdown screw. Do you have separate up/down rudder lines with T handles? If you haven't already done so check the FAQ and support page starting with these:
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=6943
http://www.hobiecat.com/support/index.html

Regarding Broughton Island I am still very keen to get back there. Chrisj and I along with another of my mates tried to get there 2 weeks ago and actually had the AI's assembled on Little Gibber beach:
The deteriorating weather and rising swell caused us to cancel our trip. :(
We went sailing on Myall Lake instead :) :

It's proving difficult to get good weather and days off to coincide. I would prefer to go during the week when there are less boats out. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 8:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hey mate. Good shots yet again. Yeh the weather is a bit all over the place at the moment mak'n it a bit difficult to plan anything. Just to let you know that I'm up for forming an amada if it comes up. I would like to get a few more hours up before I venture outside though. I'm currently learn'n everything on my own so if you and ChrisJ would like a change of scene and fancy a trip up to Lake Macquarie just let me know. If you look at Google Maps, look at Rathmines and look at the park on the eastern side. Next weekend I plan to got out from there and down south and have lunch on Pulbah island and then back home. If your keen just let me know but I would appreciate at some time gett'n a few pointer from someone like yourself.
Oh yea. mine is pre '08 ie: it has the rudder lift lever rather than the pull handles. I'll check out your links thanks.