Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 3:14 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Went sailing today with the new tramps. They really work well. No more bow nets needed, Wind was 18 to 20 and chop was nice. A neighbor and I both broke rudder pins within minutes of each other. Had to drift to shore to change them.

As far as hiking out goes, I couldn't detect anymore boat speed by doing so. Hiking to the left isn't bad but on the right there is no way to steer that works. Will need some kind of extension and even then I don't think it may be worth it.

I had high hopes that the nets might be used for sleeping but if you whole weight is on one side you will be in the water! If you could keep your butt in the boat and sleep crosswise it is doable.

Very well made and thought out. I was worried about getting on the boat in shallow water but just climbed over the back onto the tramp and into the boat, just like you would a cat.

I was concerned about how much windage there might be in higher winds but didn't notice any feelings of things getting light. I think it will be good for most occasions.

As you can see I didn't use the dodger today and didn't have too much water in my face. It really fits tight and inboard keeping the water out.

Go get em!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/summers65

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 4:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Nice videos!

Two questions for you:

What are the lines attached to the rear of the ama for?

And would you post pictures of your camera setup?

Thanks,

Kayaking Bob

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 5:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The lines from the rear of the ama's are the bungie barber haulers. I think you can see it being used in #8. The camera set up for today is thisImage
The bottom ls this
and the top with the camera is this
I have 16' of line from camera to recording unit so I can hang it in different places. PVC and fishing rod holder. PVC is just press fitted together so I can use different lengths and angles for what ever I want.
The camera is a VIO POV http://www.vio-pov.com/

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 7:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks for the enjoyable Vid Phil.
I was going to say why not just steer with yo feet like I am in my recently posted Barber Hauler foto, then I saw how cold it looked on your vid and thought, "Hmm, its NOT the South Pacific!"

But on that subject Phil..
I asked in that post if there is anything to be gained by moving the BH mounting point forward from its existing point at the rear of the float but didnt get an answer yet.
One Hobie dealer who knows more about sailing than I do suggested that I move it up to the rear ama/aka junction, have you tried it any where else?

Ta.