All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:30 am 
Site Rank - Captain

AI Pictures with your morning coffee

http://www.kayakfishingmagazine.net/hobie.html

here some video's of me and the kids

http://youtube.com/user/EastCoastKayakFishin

the AI really is a fun and exciting boat

I'm still not sure if its a kayak, it just doesn't seem like the right word 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:56 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Fantastic pictures Al.

When you're sailing the A1, do you let the Mirage Drive act as a secondary keel with fins down or do you have them retracted (sounds like an airplane). Just wondering because I'm trying to use them as a secondary daggerboard upwind and retract them or leave them flush with the hull downwind......meanwhile, I'm trying to figure out how to fit the barber hauler to improve downwind performance.

Had a wild ride yesterday in gusts where gybing took on a whole new meaning. The A1 just bolted away even when I reefed the sail. I also noticed that the speed was very impressive probably because my ass was 6 inches from the water!!! Certainly I had lots of whitewater and it was a blast!

Upwind into the waves is my favourite condition to date.....just sit back and let the A1 do what it does best.

So I'm learning fast and really enjoying it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I usually keep the mirage against the bottom of the boat

I will assist sometimes with the peddles but usually I am flying and don't need any assistance during tacks.

I have just switched up the roller furler rope with a longer one and I am now playing around with options to make that a easier process

I can have the sail furled in and ready to fish in about 5-7 seconds

I am hoping to cut the time in half with a quicker more available location for the furling line

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:13 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I've been trying both approacheds with the Mirage and have yet to determine which is better if any on either leg. As has been suggested elsewhere by stringy, I must take it out altogether and see how it goes.

I did try your lengthened furling line idea but find it's necessary to start off with the right amount slack. That said, furling from the seat without having to hobble across the hatch is a treat.

5 to 7 seconds is pretty impressive.

Trying to get myself set for fishing now but I'll start in baby steps. I have a reel and some line and a rod and now I need some things like hooks and weights. Like I said, I'm a beginner so I'm almost embarrassed mentioning it but you gotta start somewhere.

Looking at the size of those fish you're catching makes me hungry!

Has the roadrunner figured out how to BBQ on the aka yet? I reckon he could put an AI on the moon!!

Post subject: don't try so hard
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Upyaboya - don't try so hard to fish

I am a kayaker first and then a fisherman

I have always kayaked and over the last 7 years seriously added fishing

The way I started fishing was trolling - 1 lure with a few others in a SMALL box - not a crate like we use now

go past the local tackle shop if you have one and ask them to recommend the lure for trolling

I like to troll lures and plugs that will float back up to the surface when you slow down and/or stop

anyway just get out there with the AI and get moving and forget about the fishing thing until you get hooked up

whenever I try really hard to catch fish I don't, so just get out there enjoy the AI and wait for the hookup - let me know

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Don't worry Yakman, easy does it will be my modus operandi.

I will visit a local fishing tackle store as you suggest and get started on the basics. Rome wasn't built in a day but it was built.

When out on my sea kayak, seals often followed and guys who go fishing tell me that they take fish off the line before they reel them in. I don't like when they get too close to me because they are enormous when I'm 6 inches from the water!. To date, they've never done any harm though the local fisherman don't like them one bit.

I plan to go to a lighthouse offshore at the weekend weather permitting. It's a round trip of approx. 12 miles but that will make a good start. There's some kind of a cyclone in the Atlantic that's spitting all kinds of muck our way with lots of high winds. I wouldn't mind but May was lovely!