Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

weinerdog wrote:
From Blackwater Bay we'll sail to Pensacola Beach and then to Fort Walton Beach/Okaloosa Island via the Santa Rosa Sound. (2-3 days hopefully!)

Winerdog, where do you camp along the way? I was not aware that camping was permitted along most of the route you plan to take. And much of it is military reservation. How do you get around that?

I would be very interested myself but I am not much for kayaking; only sailing. I just don't see the point of paddling when you could be sailing.

Ron P.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There are lots of all-sail trails around the coast of Florida. Go to
http://www.floridadep.org/gwt/paddling/Segments/Segment%20Home.htm to see them.

One of the best is the Big Bend trail from the Aucilla River south 100 mi to the mouth of the Suwannee River. It has primitive camping sites. What is different compared to the Everglades, for example, is that there are towns along the way (Keaton Beach, Horseshoe Beach, Steinhatchee) where you can spend a few hours or stay overnight for a break. Fun trip. I've done it a couple times by sea kayak, never in an AI. Anyone wants to do it in an AI--let's do it.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Chekika wrote:

One of the best is the Big Bend trail from the Aucilla River south 100 mi to the mouth of the Suwannee River. It has primitive camping sites. What is different compared to the Everglades, for example, is that there are towns along the way (Keaton Beach, Horseshoe Beach, Steinhatchee) where you can spend a few hours or stay overnight for a break. Fun trip. I've done it a couple times by sea kayak, never in an AI. Anyone wants to do it in an AI--let's do it.

Keith

Great website!
Keith - you guys are well catered for with such well-developed and extensive paddling trails.
I thought we were doing pretty well here with our old rail-trail bike riding trails. Loooks absolutely primitive compared to your paddle trail site.
I like the idea of having towns and other touches of civilization along the way - and the distances between legs are not excessive.
All looks very enjoyable - providing you don't encounter any hurricanes :P :lol:

Adventure Island Sailing since 2008

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:43 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

felicianor wrote:

We’ve got a high blowing through with steady 20 almost due west. One could make 50+ today on the bay easy. Just hug the western shore to keep the chop down. If it were June with the maximum daylight these would be the perfect conditions to take a crack at 100. Now that I‘ve got two AI’s I’ll be working on my friends and family to get someone else interested in having a go at this.

Rich

Let me tell you that you missed an AWESOME day to get the AI out. Glenn_SouthRiver & I were out both Saturday & Sunday on the South River, just South of Annapolis. According to the stats from the Thomas Point station, winds were a sustained 25-31 kts with gusts to 36 kts. All I can say is it was one heck of a ride! I knew it was going to be a good day when I was leaving the ramp. The AI, which is normally a bit sluggish going straight downwind, was doing 3 kts with the sail completely furled. We both came really close to pitchpoling our AIs. At one point my boat was completely submerged, with me sitting chest deep in the water. When I tried to take a bit of breather near the shore, I had to peddle at a decent rate while pointed into the wind, just to stay in one place. All in all though, it was a great day!

If we can work out the scheduling, I'd be interested in giving some distance runs a try. I'm planning a distance trip on Lake Erie, so I really want to find out what kind of distance numbers I can make.

Happy Sailing
- Jim L

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Darwinian wrote:
weinerdog wrote:
From Blackwater Bay we'll sail to Pensacola Beach and then to Fort Walton Beach/Okaloosa Island via the Santa Rosa Sound. (2-3 days hopefully!)

Winerdog, where do you camp along the way? I was not aware that camping was permitted along most of the route you plan to take. And much of it is military reservation. How do you get around that?

I would be very interested myself but I am not much for kayaking; only sailing. I just don't see the point of paddling when you could be sailing.

Ron P.

Darwinian- On the river leg, most of the north side of the river is WMA and camping is allowed anywhere on it. On the south side (Eglin Reservaton) there a few designated campsites also, however, we mainly just find a sandbar and set up camp. It's "no man's land" out there.

The sailing leg from the mouth of the Yellow River to PNS Beach I haven't checked into much yet. I'll be scouting it soon though.

Once we get into the Santa Rosa Sound, there is plenty of open beach on the southside. I've camped out along that side a few times before and no one ever seems to mind. It's pretty secluded.

For the most part though, we'll be winging it!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Chekika wrote:

Keith

Now that looks like an incredible trail. I'd like to take you up on that some day, but I'd have to wait until next year for the vacation time off of work.