Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rudder: Standard vs Sail
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:18 am 
Site Rank - Captain

1) What are the measurements for the "standard" rudder, versus the "sail" rudder.

2) Do all AIs have the sail rudder? Or was it optional?

Why am I asking? I bought a used 2007 AI almost a year ago, and have enjoyed using it on a small local lake - always in light winds. (I must admit, if there's nice wind, I go for my HobieCat.) But earlier this summer the winds increased from "very mild" in the morning to causing occasional white caps by noon. I thought I'd see how the AI handled the heavier, somewhat gusty wind (or how I handled it) and kept sailing.

It was fun! ...but I thought the rudder lacked the good response it had earlier in the day. I thought it needed to be larger. Or longer. Maybe because, by comparison, my catamaran's rudders are so long.

I'd read on this forum about the "Sail Rudder" and started to wonder if my AI had a "standard/older" rudder, since I don't know what improvements or upgrades the original owner might have done (or how many Hobie had implemented). I tried to find photos or measurements that compared the two, but was unsuccessful.

I finally talked myself into believing I must have the "standard" rudder (because I couldn't imagine how a smaller rudder would have been sufficient). So I ordered a "Sail Rudder".

Yes, I was pretty surprised when it arrived and it was the same size as the rudder I already had. So my curiosity is getting the better of me: what ARE the size differences? (Translation: I'm hoping I was sent the wrong one, and a larger one is still in my future...)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:38 am 
Site Rank - Captain

joanie sounds like you already have the sailing rudder my AI had the old rudder and I was shipped the sailing rudder free of charge when the sailing rudder superceded the old style. the old rudder is completely eliptical the sailing rudder has a small pocket cut out where it comes close to the keel of the boat.if you still have the twist and stow rudder deployment there is a kit to retro fit for positive down locking, if you havn't had this done I found it best to lock the rudder down with the lock screw on the rudder head. I still feel a reduced rudder effect in winds above 15mph tho. Do you still have Windrider ?? almost finished refurbishing my WR 16.

John F

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:22 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi John: Thanks for the info. I'll just stick the extra rudder in my spare parts box.

And yes, I do still have the twist-n-stow rudder, so your added comments cleared-up my curiosity about the "lock-down" feature I keep reading about. I thought maybe it was something I didn't know how to use, and couldn't figure out where it was. My used AI came with little instructions, but I have been quite happy with it, and was pretty simple to figure out. I didn't start questioning things until that really windy day.

My closest Hobie dealer is nearly 3 hours away, so it's a comfort to have the folks on the forum (ie; Matt and other Hobie-ites) to fill in the blanks.

AND another, "Yes!" - - I still have my WindRider 16 trimarans (three of them). I often travel between MD, LA and FL, so the convenience of not having to x-country a WR16 was worth the expense of having one waiting for me when I arrived. Besides, I decided I better stock-up, since the WR16s are out of production. Earlier I wrote, "...if there's nice wind, I go for my HobieCat." Actually I alternate between my H14, Wave and WR16, but thought I'd keep things "Hobie" while on the forum.

Thanks again. (Good to hear from you!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:43 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

The sailing rudder is twice the weight (20 oz) and size (89 sq. in.) as the standard rudder. All AI's have them. The picture below shows the comparative size (note - this is the older style sailing rudder):

You should have the newer "balanced" sailing rudder shown here:

If you want a little better bite at higher speeds, you might add a winglet:

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

How did you make that winglet?

Post subject: Link for Winglet article
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I can help with that one... I saw Roadrunner's "How to build a Winglet" post while searching for the information about the rudder:

[url]http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=6497&highlight=winglet[/url]

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Toomanyboats,

Roadrunner is the expert on Hobie AI and Hobie fishing kayak rudders. After you ascertain that you have the sailing rudder (you probably do), you need to have the "new" up/down rudder lines installed. They solve many rudder problems. The new up/down lines kit is being given to all 2007 owners I believe.

Keith

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:27 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Thanks, here's the link to the operation:
http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewt ... ht=winglet
If picture #3 is missing, this may be it:

I use them on our Adventure and Oasis as well as the AI. One can never get too much rudder control when doing silly things on the water! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks, all. Very interesting. I have found rudder control adequate so far. Maybe I need to sail sillier.... ;)