Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: PHRF rating?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Anyone looked into getting a PHRF rating for the Adventure Island?
(of course with no paddling or peddling)
-David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:22 am 
Hobie Team Member

For those in the dark:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PHRF

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:33 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I can't imagine that any PHRF board would give you a rating.

Look into the Portmouth Yardstick if you want to play with other types of boats.

http://www.ussailing.org/portsmouth/

Post subject: yardstick for AI
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:25 am 
Site Rank - Captain

i have just had an enjoyable day of sailing/racing at Lake Samsonvale in my red AI against monos and cats . There was two races, the first race was before lunch and winds were light and fickle. The second race after lunch saw much more wind and thrills as my AI enjoyed some close racing, managing to beat in a few 18 foot Compass Careels (trailer sailor)to the finish line.

As I was the only AI amongst the fleet the handicapper had no prior knowledge of a handicap yardstick to use. Checking out the ussailing website tables sees yardsticks for every possible sailcraft except the Hobie AI, there are entries for old Windrider 16 and a Wilson 16 Outrigger, so why not a usable rating for the AI?

Is it because AI owners are are loners and dont bother to sail them together or at clubs?? I would estimate a yardstick of between 90 and 95 would be a fair guess. Anyone else care to speculate.

Matt Miller, can Hobie assist with someting official that i can present to my club handicapper, if nothing official perhaps by known spped comparison to the Hobie Wave or other boat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:09 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

One issue with the rating would be whether to allow the drive. With the drive it would depend on the sailor's physical fitness level. Without it, the AI can be difficult to tack in certain wind conditions.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 9:13 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

i am talking about a rating for the AI without the pedal drive - when i raced yesterday i replace the drive with the plug so that there would be no doubt from my fellow sailors. The AI tacks mostly alright, make sure you have forward motion before tacking (slowly) and i keep the sail hard hauled when coming about then let the sail off a bit to ensure not caught in irons. If you havent got much speed up, just gybe instead.

If the Windriders 16 and 17 can have a rating, why cant the AI?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:54 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Given that "i tri" has talked me into racing with him at Lake Samsonvale (QLD) this Summer, I thought this thread was worthy of resurrection :)

The sailing club in which we compete every second weekend has included our AI's in a group of slower monohulls and has given us a yardstick of 130.

For those interested, here are results of our Sunday race showing how our crafts' handicap compares to the other boats in our class;

Marathon Race Results. B-Division Monohulls & Hobie AI's. Race : 1. Date : 29/03/09.
Sail No...Boat Name...Class...VYC...ET...Line Honours...Corr Time...Heat Results...Code
156...Therapy...Careel 18...137.2...102.73...1...74.88...1
211... 211...Hobie A I...130.0...123.25...3...94.81...2
K7405...Gate Crasher...Int 505...97.0...103.38...2...106.58...3
134...Tirra...Careel...137.2...n/a...n/a...n/a...n/a...RB
n/a...I Tri...Hobie AI...130.0...n/a...n/a...n/a...n/a...DNF
2316...Wave Dancer...Tasar...107.5...n/a...n/a...n/a ...n/a...DNS

I hope everybody notices that, even though "i tri" didn't finish on this occasion (he usually does better than myself), I was still able to take 2nd place for the AI team (after handicaps were applied) :D

Interestingly, in the 20-30 Knot SE conditions, across all classes, 10 of the 22 starters did not finish and several capsized. At no time did my AI feel "unsafe" on the smaller waves of the lake (compared to the more expansive Moreton Bay where such strong winds would have generated waves well over "rudder pin snapping" size) 8)

Oh, and neither of us installed our pedals :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:43 am 
Site Rank - Captain

to saipedaddlefisher
Quote:
Interestingly, in the 20-30 Knot SE conditions, across all classes, 10 of the 22 starters did not finish and several capsized. At no time did my AI feel "unsafe" on the smaller waves of the lake (compared to the more expansive Moreton Bay where such strong winds would have generated waves well over "rudder pin snapping" size)

Well i am glad you felt safe, probably felt like ripples after handling the swells and chop of Moreton Bay where you often venture.

My experience was rather different - struggling to stay in touch - getting caught in irons often - reefing the sail in the wind gusts which affect pointing ability as the sail loses its aerofoil shape. :?

Also when reaching out of the river inlet back into the full force of the lake
i was overpowered and couldnt bear away - nearly flipped the AI with the help of a rolling swell/chop of about 2 foot. I managed somehow to release the sail and recover stability but maybe made the mistake of reefing the main too much for the downwind run as i was nosediving often with a very "unsafe" feeling. Probably the centre of effort was further forward making the nose dive?

Anyhoo with the wind now gusting to 30knots (my reckoning) and my backbone turning somewhat yellow, i reefed the sail to not much more than a hand towel size and still was being pushed along by the wind and swell at a reasonable rate.

In hindsight i wished i had bitten the bullet and let the sail go and reach across the lake and the swell/waves/chop then gybe and zag back to the other side reducing the risk of nosediving ... :idea: . oh well maybe next time.

On another note after the race i checked my GPS records for highest speed (had to have help to find) and was surprised to see 19.29 mph and although i didnt have the GPS on board on this gusty day, i recall another outing with an incredible reaching experience with the GPS on board. But i would like to see that on the screen for myself next time!! :shock: :roll:

Post subject: Re: yardstick for AI
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:44 am 
Site Admin

i tri wrote:
Matt Miller, can Hobie assist with someting official that i can present to my club handicapper, if nothing official perhaps by known spped comparison to the Hobie Wave or other boat.

We don't have anything that would be useful for ratings. This is usually done by race results over a period of time.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)