Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I got my new (to me) 2012 TI wet for the first time this weekend. Unfortunately right away my rudder cables came loose at the rear screws. Unprintable expletive! So that was fun.

It highlighted some more questions, though:

1. How do y'all board and dismount? I was able to step from the ramp to the boat going out, but coming in I basically fell into the water and swam up the ramp. If I were to try and tie up at the dock it seems like the boat would just get beat to death on the pilings.if I do need to tie up, would I fold in the ama on that side? Lines to the bow and stern handles? Is there a way to keep the ama in while on the water?

2. My mirage drives were set in the middle stroke length setting, and it was way to close to me. I'm only 5 foot 9. Was I doing something wrong or just misadjusted?

3. Furling line: It sounds like the TI is single handed from the rear seat, is that correct?If so, do people just use a longer furling line and add a cleat? Or is there a clever thing I'm missing?

4. Centerboard: since I can't reach the center board handle from the rear seat, do I just drop it as I move aft after launching?

5. Where do you put the mirage drives when launching? On the tramps? Everywhere seems in the way as I walk down the boat

6. How well does stuff stay put in the hatches? If I toss something in it could end up at the bow if it slides enough, right? (I'm thinking of something like a Phillips screwdriver for my rudder lines). Do y'all use drysacks that stay put, or should I put emergency tools in a bag under the stern bungees?

I was impressed with how stable it was to walk around on, and I was able to steer with the paddle to get back in. I went out in what weather underground says is 18 mph winds so that was pretty sporty.

Thanks,
Brian

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The only time I have launched/landed from a dock, yes, I fold the amas in. Just make sure your sail is furled any time the amas are in.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:11 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Welcome to the forum kd5crs! I'll try and answer a few of your questions...

kd5crs wrote:
I got my new (to me) 2012 TI wet for the first time this weekend. Unfortunately right away my rudder cables came loose at the rear screws. Unprintable expletive! So that was fun.

It highlighted some more questions, though:

1. How do y'all board and dismount? I was able to step from the ramp to the boat going out, but coming in I basically fell into the water and swam up the ramp. If I were to try and tie up at the dock it seems like the boat would just get beat to death on the pilings.if I do need to tie up, would I fold in the ama on that side? Lines to the bow and stern handles? Is there a way to keep the ama in while on the water?

I normally run the boat all the way up the ramp and then just step out when coming in. I haven't tried to tie up at the dock. You are correct about getting beat up at the pilings, would probably snap a brace bolt if the ama wasn't folded in. I have tramps so it's more difficult for me to fold in the ama when coming alongside a dock, but it does make it more convenient to step off the tramp onto the dock versus the main hull.

2. My mirage drives were set in the middle stroke length setting, and it was way to close to me. I'm only 5 foot 9. Was I doing something wrong or just misadjusted?

Probably just misadjusted. I'm almost 6' and mine are set at about 5 or 6. You should set them so you still have some bend in your knee at full stroke. Similar to a bicycle

3. Furling line: It sounds like the TI is single handed from the rear seat, is that correct?If so, do people just use a longer furling line and add a cleat? Or is there a clever thing I'm missing?

This is long running debate, some folks like to solo from the rear and some from the front. However you decide you like it, the furling line should be long enough to handle from the rear seat. I would recommend tying the end of the furling line to the end of your mainsheet line. That way it's handy. Some folks have re-worked the furling line to come from the port side. I would do a search on the forum to see what others have done. I solo from the front most of the time because I like to hike out on the trampolines.

4. Centerboard: since I can't reach the center board handle from the rear seat, do I just drop it as I move aft after launching?

Just like the furling line, some folks have worked out ways of managing the centerboard from the rear seat. This is another reason why I like soloing from the front.

5. Where do you put the mirage drives when launching? On the tramps? Everywhere seems in the way as I walk down the boat

I keep mine on the tramps while launching. Make sure you get tethers for the drives. Very expensive to replace if knocked overboard on accident.

6. How well does stuff stay put in the hatches? If I toss something in it could end up at the bow if it slides enough, right? (I'm thinking of something like a Phillips screwdriver for my rudder lines). Do y'all use drysacks that stay put, or should I put emergency tools in a bag under the stern bungees?

Things will roll around inside the boat if not tethered. I ran a length of paracord from bow to stern inside and then made 4 loops or so at each hatch opening. I can then secure everything (like drybags) with carabineers and they stay within reach.

I was impressed with how stable it was to walk around on, and I was able to steer with the paddle to get back in. I went out in what weather underground says is 18 mph winds so that was pretty sporty.

That's a pretty stiff wind for a first outing! Sounds like you handled the wind and the steering failure just fine though.

Thanks,
Brian

• Trampolines
  • Hobie cover
  • Davis Spar Fly
  • Kayakbob's Sprayskirts
  • Spine Board Hakas

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:01 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

kd5crs wrote:

Thanks,
Brian

Brian,
Congratulations! I love my TI! I had a fun first couple times out, too. The learning curve can be steep :o

3. I found I prefer to solo from the rear seat. After dealing with the furling line not being real convenient from the rear seat, I got a longer line and ran it to the rear seat with some additional pulleys and another cleat:

Regarding stability, I get on and off at docks via the tramps and amas all the time. I love being able to stand up and fish! My only previous boat was an aluminum canoe...

:)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If you go to kayaking bob's website, there are some 30+ practical mods you can make to your TI. Just one tip of my own. Buy a couple of those floppy one-piece plastic "buckets" and cut them down about 4 inches high. Roll 'em up and shove one down round hatch and then unroll them. You now have storage areas which won't disappear inside the hull. I also adopted Bob's neat suggestion of tying small snapshackles to the rim of the hatches, so I can hang important stuff right there.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:59 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks all. If Kayaking Bob happens to read this, the links to kayakfishingstuff on his website don't load.

Tying the furling line to the mainsheet end will be plan A, and then I'll add from there.

There are two sail-up destinations here on the lake (both restaurants). One of them has boat slips and the other is tying up to a bulkhead. Do y'all find docking lines around the center hull crossbars to be sufficient, or should I plan on installing bow and stern cleats on the main hull for dock lines? The bow and stern cleats would also work for an anchor / drag anchor, so that's a point in its favor. I've seen bow cleats on some of y'all's heavily modified Islands.