Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:45 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: UK insurance
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:58 am 
Site Rank - Captain

My new AI should be arriving in about 2 weeks time but so far 3 insurance brokers have turned me down for insurance. I spoke to Navigators and General and they said they have discussed the AI and will not be getting involved. (do they know something I don't?) Does anyone in the UK know who I can get insurance with? I am still waiting on a reply from Towergate Mardon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:18 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I saw similar questions passing by a few times at the Anglers Afloat forum (UK) they should now it there.

PF

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the info but I trawled through the anglers forum and could only find insurance problems that referred to the speed of boats. Their kayak forum was giving the mirage drive a bit of a dogging though. (in my area dogging is slang it means talking badly about something or someone or it can mean your wife telling you off, yapping like a dog. I've heard it means other things elsewhere).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

What do they dislike about the Mirage Drive?

I think the only power better than a MD is a sail!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:21 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Tom Ray wrote:
What do they dislike about the Mirage Drive?

I think the only power better than a MD is a sail!

They think the Hobie claims are mainly hype and that the tests shown are not fair examples. (this example was from a link one of the forum members attached) An example the man on the link says is about the tug of war against two paddlers, the paddlers action is "stroke-glide" where as the mirage drive is constant. His theory is that its the glide or pause in stroke that lets the mirage win not the efficiency of the system, (he backs this up with mathematical calculations) he thinks if the paddlers had built up to their full speed then they would be producing more power and win the contest, personally I think his theory shows the mirage system to be more efficient when battling a head wind or current, as someone who has paddled against a strong headwind the glide is a lot shorter (if you're tired its "stroke-stop") so to overcome the inertia and maintain a constant speed you have to speed up your paddling so using more energy. The mirage drive should enable a constant plodding along (no energy wasted on overcoming inertia) and less wind resistance from arms and paddles flailing. For someone keen on proper calculations he did not include wind resistance, you never see a bobsleigh with arms hanging out. If you find the link (I cant be bothered to look for it again) you will find the guy knows a lot about bread and meat.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:30 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Success, I've found a UK insurer "Noble Marine" £91 plus tax. My trailer sailer was only £62, aw well at least I will be able to sleep without thinking every sound in the night is someone stealing my AI.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well, I think he needs to recalculate. I have paddled my Adventure Island, and it's slow. Pedaling, it's fast.

I have several kayaks and love to paddle, but there's no way a Mirage Drive is less powerful or less efficient.

It sinks when you drop it overboard, it's expensive, it might break, and it's prone to damage when beaching or grounding. Those are all valid complaints about a Mirage Drive. A complaint about the power provided and the effort expended can only come from someone who has never tried a Mirage Drive.

On paper, bees can't fly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:10 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Tom Ray wrote:
Well, I think he needs to recalculate. I have paddled my Adventure Island, and it's slow. Pedaling, it's fast.

I have several kayaks and love to paddle, but there's no way a Mirage Drive is less powerful or less efficient.

It sinks when you drop it overboard, it's expensive, it might break, and it's prone to damage when beaching or grounding. Those are all valid complaints about a Mirage Drive. A complaint about the power provided and the effort expended can only come from someone who has never tried a Mirage Drive.

Tom; I'm sold on the Mirage drive. I'm just hoping I can still sip my coffee while peddling.
In fact it would be interesting to see what the peddlers can do while getting a bit of forward momentum that the paddlers cant.

Post subject: Uk insurance
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:29 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hiya Northsea!

The majority are OK fans, but that is also down to the outstanding customer support JO gives them.

But there are AA Hobie owners .

the AA forum is less ordely as could be, but a very happy bunch, eager to help out.

So just pop the question, I would like to see some Hobie reports there too, posted Holland Hobieland.

PF

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Tom Ray wrote:

They worked it out...vortices on the leading edge or something. New Scientist had an article once. As you can see I am an expert...not.

Post subject: Re: UK insurance
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:25 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Bit late with this. I have all my boats insured with Noble Marine. They have been very good to date.