Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:48 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Tom Ray. I was up your way this past weekend. I guess I should have tried to stop. I had the AI but with all the fishing I did I never got the amas or the sail on. Please email me some info on your compacs if I ever get a new contract I will be in the market for one and for Ft Lauderdale you are probably the local dealer.

As far as the hold up in selling AI's unfortunately it's the price. 3K plus for a one man boat is a stumbling point for many people in this tight economy. The whole marine industry is feeling it I know my marine mechanic son is out of work again.

Ps email. [email protected]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:51 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

true but for some of us who love to yak and love to sail and cannot store or trailer a Boat and Prefer a single Yak to a tandem The AI is The do it all Boat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:27 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I don't think the price is the reason, but I lack another explanation.

Knowledgeable kayakers guess the price of the AI to be around $4,000, and react with surprise when I tell them the price.

High end kayaks, especially after you buy the matching high end paddles and accessories, can approach or exceed the price of the AI, but they certainly can't approach the speed and fun. ;) :D

My wife is still something of a beginner to kayaking, and (hoping to avoid trouble here) is not currently in shape to compete in a triathlon. Even with the best conventional kayaks on the market, people at that level don't go on a little 16 mile jaunt, like we did the other day in our AI's.

An AI will last a long time. I'm hoping for at least 20 years from mine, as I have another rotomolded kayak nearly that age. That's 7,300 days for a little over $3,000. There will be some expenses along the way, like when I drop a Mirage Drive in the creek, but not many (I hope!) Owning an Adventure Island costs less than a cup of coffee per day. It's the best boating bargain anywhere. What other boat can do all the things an AI can do, let alone do it for that little money?

Times are tough for a lot of people, but who can afford to waste another day on the planet without owning an Adventure Island? ;)

(Just practicing for tomorrow... ;))

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:53 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I really appreciate how excited many of you are about these boats. I like how you spend time on here sharing your experiences with them and being part of the culture. I Like how very experienced sailors with years in larger sailing vessels are so stimulated by the experience they have using there AI. I thouroughly enjoy paddling my current kayak as often as time will allow..... but when I watch a video of one of you in there AI and the sense of speed you get from sailing in a vessel so close to the water and the ease of use for so much enjoyment gets me fired up like a kid waiting in line for the rollercoaster. I may have a hard time waiting till spring and get an 08 demo deal. Thanks for always answering me even though I am not yet a Hobie owner. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Tom Ray, you are absolutly right. Many of the kayaks out there approach if not exceed the price of the AI. The AI is so versatile!! If there is no wind, you can paddle or pedal the boat. If it is windy, you don't have to put away the kayak, you can sail it. I enjoyed the AI so much, I sold my pontoon boat. I do miss the pontoon sometimes but I wouldnt trade the AI. Just think of all the gas I saved, no motor breaking down and my lake has less pollution thanks to this crafty little boat. Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents worth.

Last edited by donjoe on Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi everyone. First time post. Glad to finally be a contributor to the discussion rather than lurking.

I had an experience that was sort of opposite from Tom in that I had a hard time getting a local Hobie dealer to get back to me to sell me two kayaks (AI, Outback) that I wanted. I went into their shop, looked at everything, asked questions, and presented to them my list of kayaks and many many accessories/upgrades I wanted. Unfortunately, the excellent salesman was not given the authority to cut a deal for over $6,000+ worth of stuff. Owner/manager was away. I left my name, phone number, email address and the list with the shop and told them to get back to me right away with a price. 3 days later no response yet. So, I fired up the laptop and found another dealer 186 miles away who had what I wanted and who wanted my business. I proceeded down to Oceanside, CA and purchased from an incredible Hobie dealership who I cannot say enough good things about. I walked out with the six grand worth of stuff and happily drove back home with it.

After all this, I FINALLY get an email from the original shop wanting to cut me a "deal" by offering me a whopping $60 off per kayak. I politely write back that I wanted to support my local dealer but that they had dropped the ball by not getting back to me and that I had already purchased from a non-local dealer. To make matters worse, I get no reply to my email saying they would like future business or sorry that we could not get the deal done. Nothing but silence. That's what I call really bad business sense. Stupid is as stupid does I guess. Imagine having a hard time trying to get my local Hobie dealer to let me give them my six thousand dollars! Frustrating!!!

I wish I had a go-getter local dealer like Tom. But then again, I would not have met the awesome guys down at OEX OCEANSIDE if I had. Thanks OEX. You guys rock!

Here is my very first sail on a virtually windless day. Had a great time, regardless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ox0DSbwIb0g

Check out my other kayak videos during our travels around the country.

Jerry :D
www.adventurehighway.net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:42 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

MrMiagi wrote:
After all this, I FINALLY get an email from the original shop wanting to cut me a "deal" by offering me a whopping $60 off per kayak. I politely write back that I wanted to support my local dealer but that they had dropped the ball by not getting back to me and that I had already purchased from a non-local dealer. To make matters worse, I get no reply to my email saying they would like future business or sorry that we could not get the deal done. Nothing but silence. That's what I call really bad business sense. Stupid is as stupid does I guess. Imagine having a hard time trying to get my local Hobie dealer to let me give them my six thousand dollars! Frustrating!!!

There are bad sales folks in every business, and boats and kayaks is no different.

Geoff.

Post subject: Any recommendations?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:14 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

If I'm looking for a supplier of an AI in or near the Bay Area, does anyone have any recommendations?
Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:33 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Try Wind Toys in Santa Rosa; I bought an 08 this month. They are very active with the Hobie line.. They will be demo ing Sun around 10 am at Marconi Cove on Tomalas Bay..

Post subject: Buyind an AI
PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:36 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Windtoys has a bunch of 08 in stock. I called them at 707-542-7245 to check out about their DEMO day at Tomales bay. John said it would be at Marconi Cove on Sunday the 16th. Sorry I forgot to get the time

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Oh! I've been out of town and missed the demo day...shucks.
Did anyone go...did I miss a good demo?

I did see that Hobie list a place in Oakland close to Alemeda (CA Canoe and Kayak), can anyone recomend them? I'm only half an hour from them so would seem an obvious choice.
Thanks.

Post subject: windtoys demo
PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

It went great there was a total of three AI on the water plus the local catamaran club was out that day with 5 boats Call windtoys 707-542-7245 to set up another demo