Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:56 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I know, we talk a lot about leashing everything on, but frankly I never thought about the paddle. The wind was strong, the waves maybe 6 foot, as the northerly blew across the outgoing tide. I was sailing off Little Beach, and in an instant, my paddle was gone. It just took too long to further reef the sail, and fit the peddles, so I could chase the paddle. I saw it twice, but spent an hour looking. Nearly capsized twice, as the swell can certainly tip an AI.

So if anyone finds a nice new Hobie paddle, in Port Stephens, its probably mine. I saw four guys in kayaks out there just as I was leaving to go home, so I could not talk to them, but they were going right through where I lost it.

Geoff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:30 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey Geoff

bad luck about the paddle, i recently bought a telescopic paddle from BCF for about $20 which fits inside the hull easily through the twist and stow hatch just in front of the seat, so makes for easy retrieval if needed.

I also prefer to not have to use the Hobie paddle as it gets in the way a bit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:11 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

i tri wrote:
Hey Geoff

bad luck about the paddle, i recently bought a telescopic paddle from BCF for about $20 which fits inside the hull easily through the twist and stow hatch just in front of the seat, so makes for easy retrieval if needed.

I also prefer to not have to use the Hobie paddle as it gets in the way a bit.

Thanks for that idea, their web site looks a bit poor, but I can find a store in Sydney I can visit.

Geoff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:48 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Just don't leash the paddle to the aka brace. I managed to break mine (the shear bolts did what they were supposed to do) and nearly lost the paddle as well! They are really hard to tip over - the aka brace gave way before it had a chance to tip. The AI is not really suited to catching waves, but it was fun trying.

stevo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yep, the aka brace is one of the weakest parts of the AI (designed that way).

Because of waves, we've settled on putting one end of the paddle under the bungees holding the front hatch with it crossing the front aka support between the cleats and where the aka mounts. That is also where the paddle leash is mounted to the boat.

For rougher conditions, we also have a velcro looped on the paddle shaft, that we attach there also. Looks something like this:

You can see the paddle leash following along the gunnel with a loop of light rope through a knot in it looped over the plastic cleat.

It does take a couple of seconds to free the paddle, which is why I also carry a single paddle which I can free in under a second. (I'm often within a couple of seconds of trouble sailing close to others taking pictures or video). It's also my reverse :)

Kayaking Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:50 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

This is why I have the second paddle. :)

Kayaking Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 2:53 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

stevo wrote:
Just don't leash the paddle to the aka brace. I managed to break mine (the shear bolts did what they were supposed to do) and nearly lost the paddle as well! They are really hard to tip over - the aka brace gave way before it had a chance to tip. The AI is not really suited to catching waves, but it was fun trying.

stevo

I have a leash on my new paddle, which also can fold down into four sections. Just to see how the leash held up, I deliberately slipped it out the front sleeve on the aka, and I was surprised at the force that was generated as the paddle dipped into the ocean. It was a VERY light breeze, yesterday sailing down wind, but one can easily see that a loose paddle will exert enormous force on the leash, or indeed the aka, as it pivots until it starts to surf. Having a spare paddle is an idea, and I have one that is all that is left over after selling all my H14 stuff.

reconlon wrote:
Because of waves, we've settled on putting one end of the paddle under the bungees holding the front hatch

In really heavy surf you can't leave the paddle in its place on the aka, its too exposed, so those pictures are very helpful. But that's where I secure the mirage drive. Even directly along the hull can still get the paddle blade scooping water. However my replacement paddle is not shaped like the original one, and actually that scoops far less water. Because of the curvature on the standard Hobie paddle blade, it had a tendency to want to take off, even when pointed directly in line with the hulls, eg on the aka, or alongside the hull.

Talking of paddle leashes, I read yesterday on one of the forums, don't think this one, of a very serious injury caused by a paddle leash. They did not say so, but I suspect they had the paddle leashed to their arm. Which gets me to my surfboard leash, which I do leash to my arm, if I am in conditions where I suspect I might get turfed out the AI. Its something to bear in mind, that leashing yourself to the AI might pull your shoulder joint out, or even break the arm. Not a nice idea. But I don't fancy being off shore and seeing the AI disappear. I used a long surfboard leash to try and avoid being caught under the AI, which is another concern.

Geoff.