Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hobie have chosen at present to only build Islands in yellow and red. My mate Mickey chose a yellow boat so I had no other choice than to order a red one as I was not wanting to have the same colour as his. Also ordered a genuine Hobie Spray Dodger which arrived with my boat, as did Mickey. Turns out his is the colour of his boat, namely yellow and we fitted it a couple of days back and it looks just great.
Now Hobie musn't like red boat owners because they don't supply red dodgers to red boat owners. You got to take either yellow or silver. Now I don't have a silver boat but not wanting to have the same as Mickey I went silver. Fitted it today and although it is nice, it is not colour co-ordinated and not nearly as spiffy as Mickey's... :cry: :cry:
Being a pirate, I have owned a few yachts in my time and have had one with a red dodger, sail bags and cover and cockpit awning. They do make suitable red material. :roll: :roll:
How come Mr. Hobie chooses to discriminate against we poor red boat owners that apparently already have to put up with excessive boat fade, and now further ridicule and taunts for our lack of colour co-ordination? .... :oops: :oops: Pirate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:47 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Yeah!! Wassup with that. How do you like the dodger for spray reduction and warmth in the cockpit? Trouble with the line management with them.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I own a 26ft sloop with a factory blue hull. We 'blue hull' owners always
stated that our boats were faster than the 'white' hulls.

One Ozzie owner bought an Adventure in 'ivory' and added on an 'ivory' Island upgrade sail and ama kit...so he could have a 'white' AI. So, I guess he is in even worse shape...with only yellow and silver dodgers available!

I chose the 'papaya-yellow' hull because of the comments from other owners that the yellow hull seemed to 'age' more slowly from UV solar rays than the red. So I lucked out being able to get a yellow dodger.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:22 pm 
Site Admin

No... not descrimination. Simply not able to make these in all colors due to minimum run issues.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 4:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Matt, frankly the subject matter was 'tongue-in-cheek', and having used the silver dodger for the first time today, I am very happy with the colour. Turns out it is colour co-ordinated, not with the hull but with one of the colours on the sail which is a grey'silver. With that in mind I have changed my mind and now think it looks beauuuutifulllllllll....Captain Pirate

Post subject: Rodger that Dodger
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:51 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I also am among the poor uncoordinated folks but I've taken it to an extreme with an Orange AI with Red sail and Amas and a Silver Dodger.

Just an FYI. I picked the silver because I live in the SW USA and the sun can be brutal.

I also found that the Dodger was not of the highest quality of stitching so I sealed all the main seams in and out and where the cord and loops were located I used my old aqua seal to reinforce them before they would eventually pull out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I agree with Ranger 1 that the stitching at the achor points is not well done and with me having used the dodger once and already it is with my wife to beef it up at the vital points. When she finishes I will put a dob of silicone on it which helps to cement the lot together for a while.

Also why I am bitching, the instructions for fitting are woeful and my kit was incomplete and I still dont have all the post needed to do a proper job. Two packets of press studs, no posts. That was rectified by my dealer, Peter Manley (Good bloke) but still a couple of posts needed to complete the job. Also decided to replace the stainless screws that hold the posts with stainless bolts. You can get at all the bolts from within to get a nyloc nut on so I advise others to do the same. Under pressure, you can be sure in time that the screws will pull themselves out of the soft polyethylene.

We pay enough for these things, we really deserve more..Pirate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:52 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Are the dodgers 'outsourced'? Seems that more than one dodger owner
has complained about less than needed attachment parts included
with the dodger.
How many dodger owners had dodgers which came with extra parts?
The supplier may think that they are squeezing a few cents a dodger
from the order...but if Hobie/dealer has to round up the rest of the required parts...that must start to cut into Hobie/dealer profits.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

TIDALWAVE wrote:
Are the dodgers 'outsourced'? Seems that more than one dodger owner
has complained about less than needed attachment parts included
with the dodger.
How many dodger owners had dodgers which came with extra parts?
The supplier may think that they are squeezing a few cents a dodger
from the order...but if Hobie/dealer has to round up the rest of the required parts...that must start to cut into Hobie/dealer profits.

They come straight out of China Tidalwave....that speaks volumes.

Captain Pirate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:11 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Come on folks...give those suppliers a break...I heard 67,000 factories in China have closed in 2008 due to our inability to spend. The spare missing parts that were just an inconvience to me were probably spent to take care of another hour or two of wages of those workers.

Remember, unlike Jefferson, our slaves are not nearby and we rarely get to hear their troubles. I heard some folks tried to work at a china nike factory a few years back but were denied so they decided to live just like one of their workers with the same assets. The food they were trying to live on could not keep up with their body calorie requirements. In short, starving wages. I'm sure Hobie is better than Nike on this but economic conditions are hitting around the world. I'm just sayin.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I agree with Ranger. Its OK to take advantage of the cheap labour in China and benefits both the consumers and the Chinese workers, but a company that uses China still needs to take responsibility for quality control (ask Fisher Price). The Chinese are capable of producing high quality goods (eg some of their high-end stereo components), but this necessarily increases overheads. Its the old cliche - If you pay peanuts, you get monkeys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

chrisj wrote:
I agree with Ranger. Its OK to take advantage of the cheap labour in China and benefits both the consumers and the Chinese workers, but a company that uses China still needs to take responsibility for quality control (ask Fisher Price). The Chinese are capable of producing high quality goods (eg some of their high-end stereo components), but this necessarily increases overheads. Its the old cliche - If you pay peanuts, you get monkeys.

I am thinking that A$220 is more than peanuts for a very small item like a dodger. I can buy a quality family tent with full floor, pegs, tie downs, etc. for the same money Chris. It is not the Chinese that should be questioned here but Hobie that are out-sourcing at a price. Quality product does come out of China so long as the order specifications say so and the purchaser pays the appropriate price for the quality. I am only talking a few more cents here....Pirate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Couldnt agree more Pirate. I meant it is Hobie paying peanuts, not you.

Post subject: Thinking on a Dodger
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:38 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Its great that Hobie owners get out on the water...it gives us all time to think. That said, the philosophy of Alexander Hamilton and manufacturing policy of the early USA may well apply to Dodgers.

http://www.thomhartmann.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1122&Itemid=9

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 1:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Anyway Mrs. Pirate has beefed up the obvious weak areas where the stitching was under pressure where the elastic is sewn in, so all should be well for a while....Pirate