Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:33 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I can't see an insert Dave, I think you have the older model. Your dealer has pulled a fast one on you. I cannot tell if there is a set screw or not, your picture is not good enough to tell, but you can check. The old model has the set screw, the new does not. Check it out here:
http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewt ... 75&start=0

Ron Patterson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That's a V1 Mirage drive, no bushings.

As for the hull number, the "F8" part indicated built in June of 2008, and the "09" part that appears altered indicates a 2009 model boat.

Does Hobie really build the next model year in June? I know some manufacturers do bring them out that early. They can start calling it a 2009 at any point in time, and some do it earlier in the year than others.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

geocacher wrote:
Okay, if I'm looking in the right spot and I think I am there's no brass bush for the fin mast in the mirage drive.

Also the 4 digits in the hull number denoting the serial number are earlier than the 7243 in the S/N of Pirates 09 boat.

Does anyone know what the last 4 digit S/N component of the hull number issued to an 08 boat was?

Pics of the mirage drive fin mast socket also now:

Is this where Stringy reckons the brass bushes would be?

Dave

It looks different to mine Dave. :shock:
I guess the easiest way to check them would be a one on one comparison.

Mickey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:28 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

G'Day Dave,
It looks like you have the older model. As Ron said the set screw hole indicates the older version as well.

Talk to your dealer. If you specifically asked for the 09 then you may have a case. If you didn't know about the newer model or got a good deal on the older version - who knows?
The advantage of the screw in mast drive is a 2 year warranty and elimination of the set screw backing out / wobbling drive mast problem. That along with the click-n-go locking mechanism are the main changes between 08 and 09. The sail mast is the same. You do have the separate up/down rudder pull handles?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:13 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

We used no-stretch line to tie the seat fast to the hull. Make a loop on the strap by the hole, run it out the hole and up thru the opp. hole and tie off to the strap. It holds the seat fast. Hope this helps...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

pattiwak wrote:
We used no-stretch line to tie the seat fast to the hull. Make a loop on the strap by the hole, run it out the hole and up thru the opp. hole and tie off to the strap. It holds the seat fast. Hope this helps...

Had this same problem multiple times today. Can you post a picture of your idea please....Pirate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:40 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I won't say any more on this at the moment save for the fact that I'm waiting on a response to an email.

Regards & thanks for your help,

Dave

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

you need to check back with your dealer you got an 08 AI
09 should have thread that drive pictured is an 08 drive I can see the set screw for the mast

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Pirate wrote:
pattiwak wrote:

Had this same problem multiple times today. Can you post a picture of your idea please....Pirate

I kinda get the impression that "pattiwak" is talking about securing a seat in the cargo area using the cart scupper holes :? :roll: :?:
Mickey

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mickeymouse wrote:
Pirate wrote:
pattiwak wrote:

I kinda get the impression that "pattiwak" is talking about securing a seat in the cargo area using the cart scupper holes :? :roll: :?:
Mickey

Being an Officer that you are, I am not going to publically disagree Mickey but I think not...but I have been known to be wrong many times... :lol: :lol: Pirate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:53 am 
Site Rank - Captain

This thread has digressed from its original topic.

I have a commitment to a resolution that will be satisfactory. The dealer involved has been very easy to deal with in sorting this out. I will advise the watchers of the thread of the outcome once it is resolved.

Thanks for your help guys.

Dave

PS - M & P - I think Pattiwak is talking about pulling the screw plugs out of drain holes either side of your butt sitting in the seat and tying it in through those - the holes line up perfectly and unless it's mirror calm you end up sitting in the lake in the seat well anyway. DJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Quote:
PS - M & P - I think Pattiwak is talking about pulling the screw plugs out of drain holes either side of your butt sitting in the seat and tying it in through those - the holes line up perfectly and unless it's mirror calm you end up sitting in the lake in the seat well anyway. DJ

Dave - I agree and was only discussing this further with Pirate a few minutes ago. 8) :wink:
Mickey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:35 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I hope you guys had a great day yesterday? We sailed from Nungurner Jetty today. Belated family gathering for Christmas - BBQ & the jetty with AI's and the boat. We had an absolute ball.

Dad having a look at the red 08 boat. Our Haines Hunter is behind it.

Teaching my sister how to sail. Lesson one "uncleat the yellow & grey rope and pull on the black rope... yep that's a cleat"

She had it in about 5-10 mins and sailed for an hour - loved it.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:58 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

That is awesome. I can't wait till Spring..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:59 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mmm...Two boats sounds like double the fun to me Dave. Had a lay day yesterday but will be out again in next couple of days. Wednesday is looking good with 15 to 20 knots forcast. Maybe we could get together...Pirate