Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have not tried this yet, so I am curious about it (water up here in Minnesota is hard down to about 30 inches this winter)
Do the Amas have enough displacement to keep an AI afloat
if the Vaka interior hull were totally flooded and the cockpit were
also filled with water?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yep!

The day my red AI cracked in the front of the drive bay, we had been sailing for about 4 hours in 10-15k winds with 3-4' wind waves. When we finally came in to the boat ramp, I opened the front hatch to retrieve the wheels and found it 85% full of water! It took quite a while to pump all the water out to then wheel it up the ramp. During the 4 hours out, we noticed no difference in speed, handling or even how high it was floating (must have been lower).

Kayaking Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

reconlon wrote:
I opened the front hatch to retrieve the wheels and found it 85% full of water! It took quite a while to pump all the water out to then wheel it up the ramp. During the 4 hours out, we noticed no difference in speed, handling or even how high it was floating (must have been lower).

85% full and you noticed no difference in speed? I was out with two friends last summer and took on much less than that due to a still unidentified leak. I had about 10-15 gallons on board, and had to peddle like crazy while under full sail, just to keep up with them. I didn't realize how much I was taking on, but both friends commented that I was sitting much lower in the water than when we had started. I just thought the speed difference was due to my extra pounds, despite my easily keeping up, and even leading them for the first half of the day.

As for handling, that was even worse. The water sloshing fore & aft in the hull kept making me fall off the front or back of the waves (approx 2-3 ft waves & steady 15kt breeze on the Chesapeake Bay that day). The weight itself just slowed me down, but all that weight sloshing around made a shambles of the handling. Then again, if the hull is 85% full, then I guess there's not much room for sloshing fore & aft, is there.

Happy Sailing,
- Jim L

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:27 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

It will float. The cart pole poked a hole in mine a year ago, and it complely filled out in the ocean. Much lower, but still floated with the amas out until I could get to shore.

Post subject: Sailing the Chesapeake
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:50 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Jim L...........I just moved my AI up from NC to my home in Southern Maryland. I will be here for about a year before I take it down to Jupiter Beach Florida. I will be fishing the Bay this summer, launching from Solomans Island. If you or any other AI's want to do some fleet sailing let me know. My wife is in Florida, so I have weekends to my self. go out :?:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:52 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

kayakingglenn wrote:
Jim L...........I just moved my AI up from NC to my home in Southern Maryland. I will be here for about a year before I take it down to Jupiter Beach Florida. I will be fishing the Bay this summer, launching from Solomans Island. If you or any other AI's want to do some fleet sailing let me know. My wife is in Florida, so I have weekends to my self. go out :?:

Sounds like a plan. Glenn_SouthRiver & I are always looking for folks to sail with. We're based a bit North of where you're at (South River, just South of Annapolis), but that's nothing a trailer can't fix. Actually, he's based there. I actually live near Manassas, VA. Not a whole lot of sailing spots around Manassas, though.

I'll drop you an e-mail so we can exchange contact info. Who knows, maybe we can even convince you to join us for the 2nd Annual New Years Day AI Polar Bear Sail.

Happy Sailing,
- Jim L