Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Just got in from my second day of sailing my AI with a boom attached. Unfortunatly the breeze was only about 6 or 7 knots but I due like the controle it gives. here are a few quick pictures.

Overview showing full sail reef and furled

Here is a close uop of the gooseneck assembly. I made a yoke out of plastic and secure it in place by a collar above and below hard to see is the sheet of a 0.010" aluminun I double back taped to the mast to distibute the load and act as a bearing surface.

Shown is the mainsheet bridal used to get the main sheet more vertical so it does not influence the outhaul

Shown is detail of mainsheet to sail attachment this is how the tigers are doing it

This is the detail of the 4 to one cascading boomvang assembly in the future I will copy the cam cleat on the furler on the port side of the boat

Shown in the following pictures is the outhaul system

So far the boom has worked for me I can still furl the sail and pedal.
I would be very interested to hear from other improvments which can be made

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Looks low. Has it whacked you in the head yet?

I don't want a full time boom, but have been looking at making a paddle into a whisker pole for downwind runs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:45 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Tom
I have not deen wacked in the head yet but I do have to duck on tacks and Jibes. I have sailed small boats for a very long time and am used to doing this. The boom started it's life as a boat hook. If you kept the hook on the outboard end and stripped off all the other stuff on the boom the gooseneck system it should work very well as a wisker pole. If you want I can take a few more shots showing the detail of this assembly.
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes, more pics are always good!

How has it affected the performance of the boat?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Tom,
I need to adjust a couple of things any way so taking a few pisc in the next week is no big deal. As for performance I have not had a chance to go head to head with another AI but, the sail shape shape looks a heck of alot better and you can tweak it very easily using the vang and outhaul. I know the CLR is a bit forward on the AI and this contributes to weather helm but I have always thought another issue may be the sail shape may be contributing to this. I sailed a Laser for many years and it's rig is similar to the sailing it with out a boom would have been a bear. I had a NACRA 5.8 for a few years which is a booomless cat and always was wishing for a boom. With out one so many bad things happen as you dump the main: you effectivly release the outhaul which greatly increases the draft of the sail and the mast straightens which also increases draft. I have a theroy that with a boom and potentialy stiffer battens in heavy air we can help mitigate a lot of the weather helm.
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hi Mike,

I have been happy with the shape of the sail as it is cut for upwind work. Flattening it and bending the mast seem to help only in higher winds. I can see your rig allowing some depowering in higher winds without reefing just by flattening the sail and bending the mast. In those conditions, I'd just reef a bit, and your boat would be faster, I would think.

Look out if the wind dies down! I'll deploy my jib! ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:07 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Given your time in the boat I doubt I would ever be faster than you. By the way how is the jib project coming it probaly yields more bang for the buck in performance increases especialy in lower wind speeds. Have you ever considered an Asymetric spinnaker for down wind.
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I just need to find time to work on the jib setup. I have a good idea what I'm going to do, just haven't had time to do it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:55 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Please keep us posted I have an ols NACRA 5.8 jib and a Capri 14.2 jib I am looking to try something with. If I could find a used chute from a laser Vago i think it would fit that failing I may try a symetric spinnaker from a FJ or 420 . I realy think competive swimming and sailing in my teens ruined me for life , if a pool does not have a bar attached I feel complelled to swim laps when I get in it. On a boat I have to work hard to keep from constantly tweaking it or the sails to get more precieved speed
Mike

Post subject: Boom or Whisker Pole.
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:49 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Looks very similar to mine. I simply used a piece of three inch PVC pipe for the base, screwed a small brass curtin holder to the pipe. Made sure the screws did not go completely through of course.

Then I attached the boom, or whisker pole if I only choose to use it for that.

I simply put an S hook on the other end.

And the finished product.

Just finished it a couple of days ago but the weather has been too cold to test it. Perhaps by the end of the week the weather will be in the high 60s and I can get on the water again.

Notice I have a "bonker conker" pad right where it might hit my head. It is just foam from an old life jacket wrapped in duct tape. It will be replaced with a section of pool noodle when spring arrives and they are in the stores again.

My AMF sunbird is in the background.

RonPatterson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Someone attached a whisker pole to a ring in front of the 8" hatch. Looked like a pretty quick and simple setup. Who did that? Fess up! And repost pics, please! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Darwinian
Thanks for the post. Look realy nice and simple. do you intend to use this as a boom or as a whisker pole. If the former you may benifit from a longer piece of tubing to get the boom closer to the sail and give you for clearence for your peddles

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Does your vang catch on your pedals, MRL?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:03 am 
Site Rank - Captain

MRL wrote:
Darwinian
you may benifit from a longer piece of tubing to get the boom closer to the sail and give you for clearence for your peddles

MRL, thanks for the suggestion. I might do that as it would only take me a few minutes to make the change. However I don't intend to use the pedals very much. They come out and the plug goes in as quick as I get in deeper water and stay they stay out until I go in. Or, of course, until the wind disappears.

Ron Patterson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:22 am 
Site Rank - Captain

No the vang as setup just cleares the top of the pedals and the toes. I am adding a simple vang retracter to insur it is out of the way when totaly rleased.
Mike