Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Clicking the YouTube link on front page now returns:

"This video is private"
:!: :cry: :!: :cry: :!: :cry:

Aww Come on Hobie give us Hobie-holics a break :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yakaholic wrote:
Clicking the YouTube link on front page now returns:

"This video is private"
:!: :cry: :!: :cry: :!: :cry:

Aww Come on Hobie give us Hobie-holics a break :lol:

Kinda like a brief glimpse of cleavage, hastily covered. Nice marketing Hobie :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:02 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Sorry guys,
They asked me to take the video clip off. For a small fee... I will share another snipit. :wink:
I got a kick out of reading your posts and watching you droll over the details. It wasn't my idea to advertise the 2 seater, but that's what Youtube does best. I was wondering why the hits were over 400 last night in just under 4 days. When I got to work this mornging at 6am, it was brought to my attention. Hmm, I could get in trouble for this, but the front office is cool about it and asked me to remove the teaser.
So, just so you know, it was fun while it last eh? I better not upload anything about what else we have in the works.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:08 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

chrisj wrote:
Kinda like a brief glimpse of cleavage, hastily covered. Nice marketing Hobie :lol:

Ya, and to think hours ago I emailed the link to a couple of friends who like my Island but want a tandem version. So, here I go advertising for Hobie only to have a dead video link. :shock:

I stand by my earlier post calling Hobie a tease. :lol:

Frankly, Hobie should be flattered that a new product can generate excitement & buzz. Those who got a peek should feel privileged. :wink:

I still want one 8)

Hey Hobie - let Roadrunner test the boat and write up a review. :o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:23 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

G'Day Trifoiler Guy (Dan?)
Many thanks for posting that clip. I have been eagerly awaiting info on the double AI and thoroughly enjoyed watching it.
I'm looking forward to the finished product and I hope Hobie release it this year. 8)
PS-Hobie don't be too harsh with him! :wink:
PPS- For all those who have seen the clip there is a way to keep watching it (but maybe I'd better not post how!??!)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 4:42 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

I'm always available to answer the call of duty -- in fact, my Mirage Drive is already packed! Whenever Hobie does release it I'll be clamoring for a test ride!! It's a hot looking machine! 8)

BTW, intended or not, Hobie got some excellent input on the rigging -- very nice write-up Tom.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:18 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

skua wrote:
This is very exciting indeed! And I also think, with the front position of the mast, Hobie clearly chose a jib-less rig.

By the way, what about the dagger board? I guess the line along the free-board could be for furling the main, but it could also be for controlling the dagger board from the aft position. I cannot see it on the video, but I guess the dagger board will be a bit aft of the front drive (this may be the correct position with respect to the helm balance).

To add more speculations: I guess this thing must be well over 5 meters (5,10?), and quite heavy (at least 35kg?). But once in the water with this design, I think it could be soloed quite well. It may be even faster soloed than the AI (that front hatch is ideal for adding front weight). What would the sail area be? 8m2? Beam 75cm?

I was dreaming of (and saving for) an AI, but now there is even more to dream of!

I agree, a tandem that sails well one up would be VERY exciting, especially if it were faster one up than an AI. But it can't be much longer, else it won't fit in my garage!

Geoff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Roadrunner wrote:
BTW, intended or not, Hobie got some excellent input on the rigging -- very nice write-up Tom.

Thanks! Maybe they'll forgive me for posting that in the first place. I couldn't resist, though I suspected Hobie might not really want it out. They should probably keep projects in development away from people with cameras. ;)

TrifoilerDan, I'm watching you. ;) I subscribed to your videos a while back. I almost didn't click the link in the email from youtube, because the title just said something about sailing Adventure Islands, nothing about a tandem. I've seen lots and lots of AI videos, and posted a few myself under two different youtube names (one for work, one personal). I didn't really care to see another, but was bored, so I clicked. The white ama caught my attention immediately, then I saw what the boat was when the view changed. BTW, I really want whatever contraption you were using to hold the camera and move it around.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tom -that clip was a great discovery!
Thanks for the original post. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:20 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

stringy wrote:
G'Day Trifoiler Guy (Dan?)
Many thanks for posting that clip. I have been eagerly awaiting info on the double AI and thoroughly enjoyed watching it.
I'm looking forward to the finished product and I hope Hobie release it this year. 8)
PS-Hobie don't be too harsh with him! :wink:
PPS- For all those who have seen the clip there is a way to keep watching it (but maybe I'd better not post how!??!)

Stringy - are you talking about Applian Replay ?? I could kick myself for not having saved it!! I have the entire suite of software specifically for saving youtube etc!!!
Anyhow I'm glad I saw it and share everyone's interest and enthusiasm for this exciting development.
Trifoiler Guy - thanks for posting the clip.
Tom - thanks for finding it 8) :wink:
Mickey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:46 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've still got it :D :D
Mickey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Funny thing about the electronic age. When a cat gets out of a bag, she quickly has kittens, who shred the bag, making it hard to put her back in. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mickeymouse wrote:
I've still got it :D :D
Mickey

Mickey- anyone who watched it should still have it! :) (unless they've deleted their temp internet files).
If you have IE7 you can find it by going to:
Tools>Internet options>Browsing History>Settings>Viewfiles
Scroll for the videoplayback (.flv) file. It's easier to find if you arrange the files by size. You can also use the date accessed to help locate it. The standard quality was 12.7mb and the HQ was 18.9mb. Right click the file name>copy it>paste it to the desktop. You will need an flv player such as VLC (free download) to view it.
I've lost track of the number of times I've watched it! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You mean you guys didn't download it??

Kayaking Bob
:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:33 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Since I lost the movie (couldn't get it out of Opera's cache), I thought the best way to dream along about this exciting boat is by sketching how it may look like. So I took a pic of the AI and did some (quick and dirty) photoshopping on bases of images of the movie still in my head (they might stay there for a while!).

I think weight reduction will be high priority for Hobie. Therefore, I tried to photoshop it as short as possible while roughly compatible with the video we saw. So I shortened the front a little and I made the rear deck as short as possible (the distance between the aka bars logically will be shorter than in the AI). In this way and unlike my earlier guess, the tandem may be "only" 5 meters!

My two person AI fantasy:

The AI pic on which it is based for comparison:

I wonder what Hobie will do with the dagger board. I think it needs to be placed a little further backwards, but then there is no room for an 8inch hatch for the front person. Maybe they place a 6inch hatch there. That could also be the reason they added a hatch below the back aka bar (but of course, this is all speculation).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next