Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Darwinian wrote:
Pirate wrote:
You won't be saying that when you lose it any kind of a wipped up sea Ron...It will just become invisable....But after all they are only $110 bucks.... :( Pirate

They are only $110 bucks if you get them from Hobie, but they are $25 to $35 from a multiple of other sources. And they work just as well.

Ron

I don't have a lanyard on mine either Ron but I do have a small elastic cord tied in a loop through a hole drilled in the flat of the paddle that when stretched around an existing nut traps the paddle into its fittings on the akas which gives me confidence it isn't going overboard when I am not looking...Pirate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

So, has anyone with the newer AI lost a paddle? It would need to be swept out of the clip on the rear aka and from under the elastic retainer on the front aka. Gotta agree, you can buy a damn fine paddle for the price of a Hobie paddle, considering it doesn't usually get much use anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:01 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

chrisj wrote:
So, has anyone with the newer AI lost a paddle? It would need to be swept out of the clip on the rear aka and from under the elastic retainer on the front aka. Gotta agree, you can buy a damn fine paddle for the price of a Hobie paddle, considering it doesn't usually get much use anyway.

Absolutely, I have. Hobie paddles have curved blades. All it takes is for a wave to cover the blade, and its forced out, gone in a flash. One reason I bought a flat bladed paddle as a replacement. I spent 40 minutes trying to get it, saw it twice, but I had an outgoing tide, and strong wind. I fitted the mirage drive, but just could not find it after the second sighting. But I need to warn folks, that its possible to break a strut brace at the same time as losing a paddle. What happens is the paddle is driven blade down, six foot, and that's pretty near an immovable object when the aka tries to sail over it. I found that testing my paddle leash.

And I don't know about $25. The cheapest I could get was about AUS$70. And its showing signs of corrosion.

The leash I am using cost me $5 at a clearance. It's a body board leash, and its no inconvenience at all. Clips to the cross brace behind me. Never even bothered me. The "wrist velcro" I wrap around the paddle shaft.

The conditions under which you could lose a paddle are such that you will likely need it then, and you won't likely be able to get back to it. I had to further furl the sail to effect a gibe, because the AI would not go down wind with the full power on the sail. I had to stop and fit the Mirage Drive. Too much time. Then I had to peddle into a 20 kt wind, although with the tide.

Geoff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yeah, the board leash on the rear crossbrace sounds like the way to go. I imagine you can paddle with the leash still attached without it getting in the way too much. I actually have a board leash, in case I want to leash either me or the Mirage drive to the boat. I might just start using it on the paddle when it's not otherwise occupied. Based on your earlier post, I like the idea of being able to use the paddle as a sheet anchor too. I guess, with the wisdom of hindsight, the trick is to drop the paddle BEHIND the rear aka :) I think the $25 is US dollars.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:30 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for all the tips. Up to now the thought of losing a brace never occured to me. I do have a strange question, any reason the braces could not be set up behind the akas to give more room around the cockpit

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:52 am 
Site Rank - Captain

MRL wrote:
any reason the braces could not be set up behind the akas to give more room around the cockpit

The break away pins are to prevent damage to anything in the event you hit something really solid. Therefore you need to pull on them, not push. If they were behind the rear AKA and you hit something, that would just drive the brace into the knob that holds it on, and perhaps breaking it off, ripping the plastic body of the AI.

Of course it could be put in front of the forward AKA. Not sure how that would work out though.

Ron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Ron,
Thanks much your answere making perfect and painfully obvious sense.
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:34 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Darwinian wrote:
Of course it could be put in front of the forward AKA. Not sure how that would work out though.

Ron

Not very well when approaching a dock and wanting to fold an ama to get off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:33 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Darwinian wrote:
MRL wrote:
any reason the braces could not be set up behind the akas to give more room around the cockpit

The break away pins are to prevent damage to anything in the event you hit something really solid. Therefore you need to pull on them, not push. If they were behind the rear AKA and you hit something, that would just drive the brace into the knob that holds it on, and perhaps breaking it off, ripping the plastic body of the AI.

Ron

Plus, when you want to fold the amas in, it's a lot easier if you can reach the end attached to the hull. That far aft (or way out forward) would be a bit of a reach.

I also never even considered the possibility of losing a strut. Guess I'm going to be ordering one.

Happy Sailing,
- Jim L

Post subject: Re: Aka Brace Overboard
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 3:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hobie does listen! 8)
I hadn't seen this mentioned about the new TI so apologies if I missed it.
I was about to do the essential brace tether mod to my new TI when I found this under the brace:

Thanks Hobie for continually improving your product! :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Stringy - so you've got it :?: :?:
How long ago?? I'm just curious :wink:
Yeah - it's good to see they've added the aka brace fix :)

Adventure Island Sailing since 2008

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:48 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I see what looks like a plastic strap to keep from loosing the brace. But, isn't it attached to the brace by the same bolt that is supposed to sheer?

In other worlds if the plastic bolt is sheared off what holds strap in place? or am I missing something?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yak,
The TI brace works opposite to the AI brace. It is reversed and the bolts have been swapped. The shear bolt is now at the end of the brace attached to the aka tab. There is a gap so that it snaps under compression.
The lanyard is attached to the stainless bolt that remains fixed to the brace. :)

Mickey,
I picked it up last Wednesday but because of work and bad weather have yet to launch it. :(