Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:00 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It's done. I've been given spousal approval, and we're getting an AI. (woo and hoo!) The only question that I have is about the wheels. I'm getting the cart with the "tough tires" or something. Not sure if that makes it the Trax 2 cart or not, but it's the larger rubber tires, and not the balloon wheels.

Anyways, I've noticed that there aren't many people who have pictures of the wheels upside down behind the seat, is there any reason for this. I assume that many of you have carts, but I'm wondering if there is a drawback to putting the wheels inverted behind the seat as we do with our Revolution.

If anyone can let me know, that'd be great.

Oh, and we're getting a 2010 AI, with black tramps and the cart. Oh yeah, and it'll be red... cuz the red ones are faster! :D

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:19 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I don't think you can find the old style cart that can take the black rubber tires anymore, but the newest Trax 2 cart can now be bought with the black rubber tires. I like storing my carts disassembled in the front hatch of the AI (or TI) where they're safe. The Trax 2 cart doesn't fit in the hatch, but if you cut 2" (1 1/2" for the TI) off the non-cart keeper side and it will fit fine.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

When sailing, I store mine upside down in the holes behind the seat. What I'd like to know is if anyone has come up with a particularly good way to put the wheels back on again while coming back to take out at the launch. I find its not a big deal to put the wheels back on by reaching under the hull and fumbling, but it takes a bit of time and can be numbing if the water is cold.

Timo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:27 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I put the Hobie Trax 2 "giant gray balloons" upside down behind the seat on my Adventure. I bungee it to the storage deck and then attach my camel pack so everything is tied together when I capsize.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

augaug wrote:
It's done. I've been given spousal approval, and we're getting an AI. (woo and hoo!) The only question that I have is about the wheels. I'm getting the cart with the "tough tires" or something. Not sure if that makes it the Trax 2 cart or not, but it's the larger rubber tires, and not the balloon wheels.

Anyways, I've noticed that there aren't many people who have pictures of the wheels upside down behind the seat, is there any reason for this. I assume that many of you have carts, but I'm wondering if there is a drawback to putting the wheels inverted behind the seat as we do with our Revolution.

If anyone can let me know, that'd be great.

Oh, and we're getting a 2010 AI, with black tramps and the cart. Oh yeah, and it'll be red... cuz the red ones are faster! :D

augaug,
Congrats on getting the new AI. It's a very versatile craft. 8)
Unfortunately the rear crossbar sits almost directly over the rear scupper holes so you can't sit the cart in it as easily as the Revo.
I store my Trax1 cart fitted with HD wheels directly behind me. Image

It sits at an angle with the cart posts just in the top of the scupper holes. Be careful trying to jam the cart in vertically forward of the crossbar. It will only go about halfway and will unevenly load the scupper tubes. I imagine the new HD cart would sit OK behind the bar and bungeed to it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Thanks Stringy,

I did notice that the rear crossbar sits pretty close to the scupper holes. That was my other thought when I saw so many pictures without the wheels in place. I guess I'll have to play with it to figure out what works best for me.

Thanks all!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 4:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

They stash fine even on an AI, just loop the small seat-back bungy over the AKA brace and onto the cart frame.

I have a long arm and after a bit of practice I can fit the cart into the Hull with one hand as I approach the beach it actually helps keep the boat pointed at the beach in the surf as you scramble out because the wheels contact first.