Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:24 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Anyone had any problems with the rudder lines? What kind of maintenance should we do on them? I haven't had to touch mine since I bought it 3 months ago

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:31 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Not really, but I have at the back of my mind a query if these being too tight might contribute to pin failure. When I replace my next pin, I plan on seeing if I can make do with less left/right movement, which will give me slacker lines.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:38 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I haven't had a problem with the control lines, but did have a problem with the up/down function.

It would work fine with no problem or indications that something was wrong, then it would simply lock down and no amount of pulling on the lines would raise it. (2009 AI with the up/down lines, not the handle).

Last time it happened, was on the Watertribe Ultra Marathon. Following the suggestions from the Hobie folks that looked at it, I removed the pin that the up/down lines go through as they go around the drum. It is supposed to help hold the rudder down and pulling on the line is supposed to retract it enough so the rudder will raise.

I have not had a chance to put it back in the water since I removed the pin, but I have set the boat up on a stand and raised and lowered the rudder about 35 times with no problems.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:43 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

JollyGreen wrote:
Anyone had any problems with the rudder lines? What kind of maintenance should we do on them? I haven't had to touch mine since I bought it 3 months ago

I have had my AI for 2 years now and I use it an awful lot when I first bought it I worried about the spectra line, I was used to braided wire lines like those on my sea kayak..but they seem to be bombproof, no stretch, no wear to speak of. If you want to spoil your lines with tender loving care you can always spray them with silicon spray but on no account apply any lubricant that might attract any abrasive material such as sand....I read somewhere that someone used a silicone grease...not a good idea....