Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:36 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Again,

Where I'm going in Fl. I have a dock, no ramp. There's a patio over the water that will be anywhere from a foot to 3' I guess above the water. Tidal and seasonal flux. No beach at all, sea wall only. And I'm not getting in the water. Neighbors say we have gators. They've seen them with kitty cats in their mouths swimming down the canals. Kidding or not the water is dark and I never saw anybody going in it!

The hull alone weighs about 62# and I think I can handle getting that in the water without scratching it too much. However the total weight is over 100#. I couldn't handle that.

The question is, "can the rest, the amas, akas be assembled in the water?"

I could lay down on the dock leaning over or something.

Any thoughts?

I mean, if this isn't doable I can always pick up a used daysailer. I have a motor and a small boat lift. But I'd rather be able to use an AI.

Thanks again,
Mondo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:01 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Not sure how the boat lift works, but could you use it to launch the AI with the amas folded?

you could then just get in and extend them. I have folded and extended them on the water without any problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Welcome Mondo,
I'm not sure about your patio but it is easy to launch the assembled AI from a dock using the cart. How big is your patio? You would need about a boatlength to be able to launch. Retrieving it might be a bit more difficult! :wink:
I haven't assembled the AI on the water.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Quote:
Would the boat lift work with the amas folded?

I am trying to avoid the boat lift. The Fl sun would kill the plastic and I don't see an easy way to cover it on the lift. I'd like to keep the boat in the garage.

Mondo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If your patio is deep enough (16'?) I would think you could assemble all but the mast and slide it off, with a slick rug to protect the boat and patio. Remember, you are only lifting part of the weight. Might be a little difficult to recover at low tide (3'?) but at 1-2 feet should be doable (wait for higher tide to recover when that low?). Putting up/taking down the mast on the water is easy. Sounds interesting.

Kayaking Bob

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:57 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I think the drop that you have to the water is the critical factor. A few feet, and you can push it in, and lift it out. Because lifting the nose is not lifting all the weight. So probably only you can judge that. Three foot is probably too much, but 2 foot probably ok?

But the notion of trying to assemble the akas on the water is tricky, but probably doable, but I think dis-assembly is likely to end up with dropping an aka into the water. I find mine stick quite tightly after sailing, and I often need to give the ama a hard smack with hand or foot to separate it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:12 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Quote:
I'm not sure about your patio but it is easy to launch the assembled AI from a dock using the cart.

Thanks for responding Stringy.

The patio (concrete) is three or four steps down from the yard/seawall. So the cart going down the steps and esp back up is not doable. The patio is big enough but pulling up 100 plus # on an angle on concrete won't be doable. I could envision the 62# of hull only.

I just really want to know if the boat can be put together in the water.

Thanks,
Mondo[/quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Putting the AI together on the water? No, not as a routine option.

Keith

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex ... It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." A. Einstein

"Less is more" Anon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Mondo,
You'd be surprised how easy the assembled AI is to move once it's on the cart. :)
If they are wide enough could you convert your steps into a ramp temporarily by using plywood or expanded mesh sheeting? A strategically positioned boat winch could then be easily used for retrieval.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I would find a way to cover it assembled on the lift, with the mast stored indoors.

You probably could lower the boat into the water, attach the akas, then submerge the amas enough to stick them on. Just put some carpet or a roller on the edge of the dock to avoid scratches. It would be a pain to do every time and you would end up using the boat less because of that fact.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:15 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I have a friend who lives on the water, with a seawall. We always launch our AIs from the seawall. We would assemble them at the wall, put towels on the edge of the wall and slide them down into the water. Keep a line on the bow, pull the boat back over and climb in. Not very difficult at all. I think there were times he even leaned a ladder against the seawall to make it easier to climb up and down the wall. On returning, we would pull up to the seawall, climb up on it, take the bow line and lift the bow up on the towel and slide it out of the water. Very doable.

Regarding gators. We used to have them in the back yard. I would shoot them with a BB gun to get them off our bank. They are incredibly fast and I don't go looking for them, anymore. That being said, they are not out there searching for ways to get you. If they are around your dock, you will see them. Be smart, give them their space and they won't bother you.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:30 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Quote:
Putting the AI together on the water? No, not as a routine option.

Keith

Thanks Keith, agreed. Like someone else said I won't use it enough. And loose something to Mr. Gator :( I'm bagging that idea. :!:

Stringy, yes. Plywood and a cart, carpet etc. :idea:

Quote:
I would find a way to cover it assembled on the lift, with the mast stored indoors.

Tom, am leaning that way after another earlier poster suggested that. Maybe I'd get a piece of junk dingy to assist with putting the cover on. The lift does not have the modern wrap around deck. I would prob use the boat most in this config :lol: :D

drgatsea, thanks for the gator info. I never saw one in the 2 months I spent there. (my house has been rented out for the past 5 years.) Something big splashed in the water when I got in my (then) WW Potter 19'. Did see a 3' lizzard guy once. More worried about the dog really. A fearless to a fault collie. :?

Thanks,
Mondo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:53 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Here's something I found in a post from a few years ago.

http://www.pickupspecialties.com/Extend ... upport.htm

I have the hitch on my small truck. Pad the thing up real good and the bed of the truck,,, should be good enough for local transport.

Mondo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:54 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just mount a long walk board or two between the lift beams, and no need for a dinghy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I put the AI together several times in the water when I launched it from a Sea Ray in the Florida Keys. Just be careful not to drop anything! I did have someone hand me the parts once the main Kayak was in the water, and I was on it.